• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Presidential Applicant's Take on Athletics

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,997
  • Days Won:  12

This person with all due respect might not have the connections required. If we hired like someone from a big powerful Athletics program maybe but I'm not sure. But I love the spirit. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,712
  • Days Won:  109

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Anyone over 50 should be shown the door. We need someone young with energy to lead. No loud mouths either (like a prior US president), we need someone who can schmooze while taking people’s money. I would prefer that the stadium would have been green lighted before a new President steps in but that does not look like it will happen. Best situation is if Law took the position for five years as well. But now we roll the dice and see.

So you are okay with someone over 50?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

46 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

So you are okay with someone over 50?

Between 50 and 45 would be most ideal. Good experience but still hungry. Many colleges today are actually hiring people from business to run the universities. I think this works great for small liberal arts colleges but I’m not sold on large major universities. So, within the age range I gave this person, they would need a strong academic background…preferably with a terminal degree in business. 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,890
  • Days Won:  67

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Between 50 and 45 would be most ideal. Good experience but still hungry. Many colleges today are actually hiring people from business to run the universities. I think this works great for small liberal arts colleges but I’m not sold on large major universities. So, within the age range I gave this person, they would need a strong academic background…preferably with a terminal degree in business. 

This is your wheelhouse however not sure some 50 year old academia lifer with a never used MBA is the answer.  I do agree with the youth and I guess I don’t know what I want until I see it. 

40 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

This is your wheelhouse however not sure some 50 year old academia lifer with a never used MBA is the answer.  I do agree with the youth and I guess I don’t know what I want until I see it. 

Good point. If the person has an MBA or Ph.D. in business they most likely have practical experience. Even if they are an academic lifer they more than likely run  consulting businesses on the side. Further they could also be involved in academic centers that help small businesses (USF for example has the small business development center as do most research universities). I guess my point with having someone with a business degree is that they will recognize the importance of the marketing mix and the role sports plays in that process. 

46 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Good point. If the person has an MBA or Ph.D. in business they most likely have practical experience. Even if they are an academic lifer they more than likely run  consulting businesses on the side. Further they could also be involved in academic centers that help small businesses (USF for example has the small business development center as do most research universities). I guess my point with having someone with a business degree is that they will recognize the importance of the marketing mix and the role sports plays in that process. 

I agree, the candidate needs to be strong in marketing, this school doesn’t sell itself.  We probably do have one of the better entrepreneurial programs, need to keep these small business owners attached to the University.  Ton of politics and need someone with charisma that can navigate these challenging waters.  The more I think of it the more I realize Judy’s replacement was a dud, he brought very little to the table.

28 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

I agree, the candidate needs to be strong in marketing, this school doesn’t sell itself.  We probably do have one of the better entrepreneurial programs, need to keep these small business owners attached to the University.  Ton of politics and need someone with charisma that can navigate these challenging waters.  The more I think of it the more I realize Judy’s replacement was a dud, he brought very little to the table.

Absolutely, he was a bad hire. They were going full academics so as not to deviate far from Judy (in my opinion). But there needs to be a strong position to supporting athletics. It looks like the board sees that now…we can only hope the hiring committee gets this right. 

54 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Absolutely, he was a bad hire. They were going full academics so as not to deviate far from Judy (in my opinion). But there needs to be a strong position to supporting athletics. It looks like the board sees that now…we can only hope the hiring committee gets this right. 

Agreed, Judy set us back light years in Athletics.  She was all in about academics but she failed to realize the importance of Athletics and the impact it would have on a directional state school.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,266
  • Days Won:  255

4 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

Agreed, Judy set us back light years in Athletics.  She was all in about academics but she failed to realize the importance of Athletics and the impact it would have on a directional state school.

I mean she mostly nailed it and it seems like the more important component, I can’t begrudge here of that. While the athletics most care about are light years behind where I expected to be from an academics perspective we are further along than i ever dreamed of when I randomly selected usf.

3 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I mean she mostly nailed it and it seems like the more important component, I can’t begrudge here of that. While the athletics most care about are light years behind where I expected to be from an academics perspective we are further along than i ever dreamed of when I randomly selected usf.

Yes, however it truly is a matter of perspective.  I went to USF when it was simply a means to an end and nothing special.  It will never reach her aspirations because we are still an urban large state school in the hood, we will plateau and without Athletics fade off into oblivion. 

• Upvote 1