• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bob Shoop hired as DC

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

6 minutes ago, bulloni said:

“It is going to be personnel driven, rather than scheme driven…You try to tailor your scheme to what your players can do,” Shoop said at Mississippi State

“I believe in a defense that is in your face,” Shoop said. “A defense that is built on relentless pursuit and never ending pressure…The things that are important to me are having the ability to stop the run, having the ability to eliminate chunk plays, and have the ability to create takeaways or be disruptive with tackles for loss and sacks….We want to hunt the ball with everything we are doing. That is the mindset I want for my guys.”

“My base is more out of a four down lineman look,"

music to my ears

Exciting 

• Go Bulls! 2

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

22 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

He went from a DC in 2019 to a position coach in 2020 to an off field assistant in 2021.  What gives?

His 2018 Mississippi state defense was amazing, let up 12 touchdowns all year. Then they lost a LOT of talent over that offseason (3 guys on that defense we're drafted in the first round after the season).

In 2019 the defense took a dip due to that (and playing LSU/Bama each averaging over 47 ppg) and the coach was fired, so he took an assistant job at Michigan. But did it fully remote due to covid reasons and left after the year for personal reasons. Guessing he wanted to be off the field in 2021 so he could be fully remote again.

Edited by bulloni
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,664
  • Days Won:  29

Bob_Shoop_Announcement_Web.jpg?preset=la

Former Mississippi State defensive coordinator brings 17 years of successful coordinator experience to USF.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

Simmons3.jpg?preset=large.socialmediaima

STARKVILLE – In addition to finishing the 2018 season ranked 25th in the final Amway Coaches Poll, head coach Joe Moorhead's Mississippi State Bulldogs closed the year...

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

9 minutes ago, bulloni said:

His 2018 Mississippi state defense was amazing, let up 12 touchdowns all year. Then they lost a LOT of talent over that offseason (3 guys on that defense we're drafted in the first round after the season).

In 2019 the defense took a dip due to that (and playing LSU/Bama each averaging over 47 ppg) and the coach was fired, so he took an assistant job at Michigan. But did it fully remote due to covid reasons and left after the year for personal reasons. Guessing he wanted to be off the field in 2021 so he could be fully remote again.

Then why does he take the USF job?  With a track record like that you have to believe a P5 program would come calling especially with the coaching carousel in full swing.  I dunno to me it seems like Glen Spencer 2.0.  Time will tell and I hope I’m wrong but I’m not overly excited about this.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

Starting to look like an early Christmas present. Hopefully it goes a long way with shoring up our defensive commits

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

10 minutes ago, E.T. said:
Bob_Shoop_Announcement_Web.jpg?preset=la

Former Mississippi State defensive coordinator brings 17 years of successful coordinator experience to USF.

030718_FB_Headshots_Shoop_KP0040.jpg?wid

Defensive Coordinator/Safeties | Second season at MSU | @CoachBobShoop A finalist for the prestigious

There is some straight copy and paste going on here...

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Just now, El_Toro_86 said:

Then why does he take the USF job?  With a track record like that you have to believe a P5 program would come calling especially with the coaching carousel in full swing.  I dunno to me it seems like Glen Spencer 2.0.  Time will tell and I hope I’m wrong but I’m not overly excited about this.

Spencer never had 2 number one ranked defense...several others in the top 25 with Vandy.

Pretty sure its impossible he is not a big upgrade over Spencer. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  1,628
  • Days Won:  0

Hopefully they keep Sims. Maybe this guy is what sold some of the transfers coming in. Regardless, all we can do now is support the staff and hope they turn things around

• Go Bulls! 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,479
  • Days Won:  13

51 minutes ago, bullsfan1983 said:

Surprised they didn’t wait to announce until after the Oklahoma bowl. Either way this is a huge coup. 

Bob Shoop (most recently at University of Miami as a defensive analyst) is not Bob Stoops (the former and temporary coach at Oklahoma).

Edited by Jim Johnson
  • Haha 2