• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OCS Update from MK

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,033
  • Days Won:  38

I would go 40k.  When we get the big teams in town it will just sell out and tickets will be in higher demand.

In fact, if we had a hill on one end of the stadium maybe you could do a standing room only thing there for special games.

Edited by Rocky Style

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,595
  • Days Won:  29

42 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

In fact, if we had a hill on one end of the stadium maybe you could do a standing room only thing there for special games.

No hills in Tampa ;) j/k

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,900
  • Days Won:  33

19 hours ago, hm101 said:

In addition I noticed he said at BoT meeting 250 to 400m. No effing way we are seriously considering 400m stadium. When the price tag lands at 250-275 he can say see guys I got it on the lower end.

Michael's comment was pointing towards a range of what recent new college football stadiums have cost. He did state that we will see what is most needed for our project and what will work from a budgetary standpoint.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, Rocky Style said:

I would go 40k.  When we get the big teams in town it will just sell out and tickets will be in higher demand.

If you stay at 40k most P5 programs (certainly those in the top 15) will demand we play at RayJay or not at all. At 49k we have a better chance keeping all games on campus.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  401
  • Days Won:  2

16 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

If you stay at 40k most P5 programs (certainly those in the top 15) will demand we play at RayJay or not at all. At 49k we have a better chance keeping all games on campus.

They'd use that as an excuse but some of the smaller P5 stadiums are in that range and P5s have played road games at G5s with smaller capacities. Charlotte hosted Duke this year in their tiny 15k stadium and ODU hosted Virginia Tech 2 years ago in their 20k stadium. 

With attendance for live sports trending down, 40k won't be bad at all and can be very profitable if there's a good mix of premium seating. That's probably the future rather than trying to have a 60k stadium with tons of cheap seat options.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

4 minutes ago, UCF_rustbucket said:

They'd use that as an excuse but some of the smaller P5 stadiums are in that range and P5s have played road games at G5s with smaller capacities. Charlotte hosted Duke this year in their tiny 15k stadium and ODU hosted Virginia Tech 2 years ago in their 20k stadium. 

With attendance for live sports trending down, 40k won't be bad at all and can be very profitable if there's a good mix of premium seating. That's probably the future rather than trying to have a 60k stadium with tons of cheap seat options.

Yeah I am not counting programs like Duke or other bottom feeders in the P5. I am talking, Notre Dame, Florida, Alabama, Michigan (maybe one day), etc. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

Baylor, TCU, BC, Oregon St, Northwestern, Syracuse, Stanford, KSU, KU, CU, UNC, Utah, Maryland, etc. are all in that 45-50k range. I think we'd be fine with 45k and then figure out a way to expand down the line if we have a sellout streak going

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,960
  • Days Won:  12

Houston - 40k 
TCU - 45k
CSU - 41.2k
University of Clown Football - 43k

According to the UH stadium wiki page, big bad Big 12 University of Houston (did I mention Big 12?) only has broken 40k 5 times in it's history (Big 12). 

The Clown Show Arena (UCF) has no club seating from what I can tell. UH has ~750, CSU has ~950. 

If I read between the lines of what has been said and insinuated and rumored abou the USF vision, we are going more for what CSU has. 

CSU Stadium Facts:
- 41.2k seats
- 975 club seats
- 22 luxury suites (about the same as the other 3 I mentioned above)
- 1 mega HD video board (the dump down I4 has a medium sized LED board I believe)
- Academic classrooms and student advising center
- Alumni association gather space
- Space available for corporate rentals and event
- 6 retail locations (not sure what this means, like if it is private sector or university-related)
- Hall of Champions

I believe USF SHOULD look for the stadium to look and feel more like what CSU has - a multi-use, multi-function, revenue-generating hub for the university and community, rather than some toothpicks cobbled together just to play football in. But ultimately it will come down to cost. The CSU stadium would cost ~$265m if built today with some inflation adjustments. The Oviedo Circus Tent would cost ~$75m. Pound for pound, we need to lean towards CSU. It'll come down to messaging too. Maybe we even need to call it something different. If we try to sell a "football stadium" for 250m it'll get called out but if we tell the story that it'll have alumni association rooms, corporate events, student success centers, etc, and a HUGE competitive advantage for Tampa and for USF, it's hard to argue with. Paying $75m for bubble gum and ducttape is not a middle ground or best of both worlds, it's a worst of both worlds - we would have spent a bunch of money for a narrow and limited facility. 

(Disclaimer, this is all based on the Beck analysis which could be way off)

• Go Bulls! 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,587
  • Days Won:  424

21 hours ago, Brad said:

UCF's KnightLight...  how funny.

Reading that board just briefly brought back dark memories of The Dumbgeon ....

• Haha 1