• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,729
  • Days Won:  0

14 minutes ago, hm101 said:

The terms P5 and G5 don't technically mean anything.

Yes! Thank you!! The sooner these made-up terms go away the better IMHO.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  401
  • Days Won:  2

12 minutes ago, hm101 said:

It's gonna be very interesting to see how the bottom half of the P5 likes life in the new era. 

At some point as a fan even do you want to see your team finish 3rd and 4th every year in the Big WhoCares while you watch the SunBelt/AAC Champ go to the playoffs? 

The terms P5 and G5 don't technically mean anything. It's the top 6 conference Champs going to the playoff. The monikers will die hard though but that's the reality on the field. Top 6 conference Champs. 

Those with the EASIEST path to the playoffs: blue bloods, and top G5 programs like Memphis, SMU, Boise, I'll add us cause bias... everyone else is in a dogfight in quicksand 

Depends which conferences you mean as the BigWhoCares. The SEC and B1G are bloated at 16 now but both would've dominated the 6 at large spots in 2022 if the 12 team CFP were live.

Top 6 conference champs would be:

1. UGA, 2. Michigan, 7. Clemson, 8. Utah, 9. Kansas State, and 16. Tulane.

The 6 at large spots would be:

3. TCU, 4. Ohio State, 5. Alabama, 6. Tennessee, 10. USC, 11. Penn State

ACC: 1

B1G: 3

Big XII: 2

PAC 12: 2

SEC: 3

AAC: 1

Gives more wiggle room to the Alabama types to still make it in. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

29 minutes ago, Gat-Rat Bull said:

Yes! Thank you!! The sooner these made-up terms go away the better IMHO.

They won't.  It benefits the media to use this term, so that the conferences they cover are known as "power" conferences, since they are paying so much money to cover them.  It also benefits the "power" conferences to be labeled as "power", so they will all be pushing this at every opportunity.  Expect CFB analysts and so called insiders like McMurphy and the like to continue to push the power vs. group of 5 label.

I've basically accepted it at this point.

Even guys like the TBT's Matt Baker recently labeled USF a "mid-major" in a recent article or tweet I saw.  What's mid major about USF.  Was USF a "mid-major" when they were in the Big East?  What changed about the university, other than conference affiliation?

Edited by BullsFanInTX

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,960
  • Days Won:  12

2 hours ago, UCF_rustbucket said:

Depends which conferences you mean as the BigWhoCares. The SEC and B1G are bloated at 16 now but both would've dominated the 6 at large spots in 2022 if the 12 team CFP were live.

Top 6 conference champs would be:

1. UGA, 2. Michigan, 7. Clemson, 8. Utah, 9. Kansas State, and 16. Tulane.

The 6 at large spots would be:

3. TCU, 4. Ohio State, 5. Alabama, 6. Tennessee, 10. USC, 11. Penn State

ACC: 1

B1G: 3

Big XII: 2

PAC 12: 2

SEC: 3

AAC: 1

Gives more wiggle room to the Alabama types to still make it in. 

It's a good visual of the distribution and I agree. 

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,753
  • Days Won:  3

10 hours ago, BullsFanInTX said:

What's mid major about USF.  Was USF a "mid-major" when they were in the Big East?  What changed about the university, other than conference affiliation?

It is absolutely CONFERENCE AFFILIATION that attaches the mid-major label. There are - as of 9:30 a.m., December 11th, 2022 - five "power" conferences. If you're not a P5, but not FCS, you land in mid-major strata; akin to the MAC (Mid Major Teams by Conference).   I think the term "mid-major" is well understood in the college football vernacular, as is Power-Five. It's not WHAT you are, it's WHERE you live.

Painting a P6 logo to your down marker chain logo (https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/navy/ac-cs-aac-p6-story.html) doesn't make you inclusive at the 'power' level any more so than declaring that you're a national champion (and you know of whom I speak) when you're the only one believing it. Well, maybe you don't really believe it, but you're gonna toe the company line.

So what if this is our destiny? What if there is no place, let's just say, within the next quarter of a century, for U of SF to get out of the AAC and land in - gotta say it - P5dom. If U of SF were to move up to X-conference in the future, wouldn't that be a step up from the [what word do we use here] to a power conference? The advantage of being a mid-major is not so much in football, as it is in basketball. 'Cause every March, sportswriters get a lot of mileage out of giant killahs.  

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  954
  • Days Won:  1

12 hours ago, hm101 said:

It's gonna be very interesting to see how the bottom half of the P5 likes life in the new era. 

At some point as a fan even do you want to see your team finish 3rd and 4th every year in the Big WhoCares while you watch the SunBelt/AAC Champ go to the playoffs?

They will still love it. They are still rolling in the money with those fat TV contracts. Make no mistake, the playoff money that the G5 champion will get for its yearly 1st round loss will be minuscule compared to the yearly paydays P5 schools get. While I am thankful we get a chance now and it makes our life in the G5 at least meaningful; playing in a P5 conference is still better. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,614
  • Days Won:  51

20 hours ago, michibull said:

I’m curious to see if the G5 can get 2 teams in one year. I don’t think it can happen, but IF there were an undefeated AAC and MAC team and both got in, it would really reduce the appeal of the P5 conferences. 

Yeah, except for the $75 million TV contracts

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,589
  • Days Won:  424

14 hours ago, hm101 said:

I'm sure there will be some that feel that way but for the longest time it's been the have and the have nots when it comes to the upper level of football and playoffs/national championships. I don't think seeing a lower level team sacrificed to the elite of college football every year while they're at home will play that much on most of them. They'll always be the fans there that just enjoy their college football teams and the on campus game day experience ...... this is why ours is so key.

14 hours ago, hm101 said:

Those with the EASIEST path to the playoffs: blue bloods, and top G5 programs like Memphis, SMU, Boise, I'll add us cause bias... everyone else is in a dogfight in quicksand

Your top G5 teams for the last decade just left ..... except for maybe BSU. It is going to be wide open for that 6th playoff spot for the immediate future, with every canine in the G5 in that dogfight.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,729
  • Days Won:  0

It will be interesting to see what will most motivate the top college football talent in the coming years. Obviously, it will depend on the individual athlete, but recruiters from USF's conference will surely be selling the chance to compete on a national stage in the new playoffs. If the USFs of the world (notice how I refuse to use that "G" word that ends with a number 5 😂) can convince enough talent to join forces then a first round playoff loss need not be an assumption. Now, if it all comes down to NIL, then USF will unfortunately have a tall hill to climb. Guess we'll see... 🤘

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

3 hours ago, Gat-Rat Bull said:

It will be interesting to see what will most motivate the top college football talent in the coming years. Obviously, it will depend on the individual athlete, but recruiters from USF's conference will surely be selling the chance to compete on a national stage in the new playoffs. If the USFs of the world (notice how I refuse to use that "G" word that ends with a number 5 😂) can convince enough talent to join forces then a first round playoff loss need not be an assumption. Now, if it all comes down to NIL, then USF will unfortunately have a tall hill to climb. Guess we'll see... 🤘

The "top talent" cares generally about one thing above anything else: getting to the NFL.  That means exposure and playing time, which can be a bit of a difficult balance.

To be sure, it's very possible to get to the NFL from USF... but it's more likely to get there from top P5 programs.  (See below). 

The real question isn't what the "top talent" will do ... but the next level down those that might be late round or UFA options ... generally the high-three stars players. NIL would be a bigger factor for them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Week 1, only Temple and Cincinnati* were in the top 36 per this list:

USATSI_17682303.jpg?w=640

Which team’s ranking surprises you the most?