• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The OCS Is Too Late for Conference Expansion

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  551
  • Days Won:  1

Our lack of commitment to athletics has now manifested into USF being left behind in conference expansion.  UCF, Cincinnati, Houston, and BYU are headed to the Big 12 conference with an announcement expected Friday.  For years, our facilities have been and are inferior to those schools being chosen for the Big 12, resulting in poor recruiting and a terrible product out in the field.  Recruiting talent from now on will take a bigger hit.  Why would a recruit want to play football for USF if they can attend UCF and play in the Big 12?  I now see why the OCS announcement was made yesterday.  The board of trustees new that USF was being left behind in the Big 12 expansion and to soften the blow to alumni and donors, the stadium announcement was thrown out there.  I’m an alum that has supported the program since the beginning with season tickets and countless donations.  Too late USF, this really hurts. 

• Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,946
  • Days Won:  12

I hesitate to dignify this nonsense with a response. 

No. Just no. 

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Days Won:  14

So let's learn from it and make sure it doesn't happen again.

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,238
  • Days Won:  0

I agree which is why I've been suggesting a termination of the football program. 

You win some you lose some. Chalk this up as an L and move on. 

• Me no likey 2

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  847

@hm101 mentioned on another thread that good leadership makes decisions based on 3-5 year timelines. He's spot on, so it begs the question, "Why do now what should've been done in 2006".

Consider this, in 2006, Rutgers spent 100 mil on stadium expansion they correctly struck while the Big East was at the height of it's power. RU leadership was villified by national media for spending egregious money in the face of rising tuition. At least one high ranking member of RU leadership was fired for reckless spending (I remember him on 60 minutes or some national news show saying "I did what i was asked to do and got fired"). In 2011, I don't recall anyone vindicating him when RU moved to the Big10.

The reality is high paid leadership everywhere is completely reactive to preserve thier big fat salaries. For RU, being early was the same thing as being wrong for the people that got fired.

Why did UCF build a stadium when they did? a finance expert would think it was financed with junk bonds, an economics expert knows they financed it with envy. If for not our success under Leavitt they would still be playing in the Citrus bowl.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

26 minutes ago, pascobull said:

@hm101 mentioned on another thread that good leadership makes decisions based on 3-5 year timelines. He's spot on, so it begs the question, "Why do now what should've been done in 2006".

Consider this, in 2006, Rutgers spent 100 mil on stadium expansion they correctly struck while the Big East was at the height of it's power. RU leadership was villified by national media for spending egregious money in the face of rising tuition. At least one high ranking member of RU leadership was fired for reckless spending (I remember him on 60 minutes or some national news show saying "I did what i was asked to do and got fired"). In 2011, I don't recall anyone vindicating him when RU moved to the Big10.

The reality is high paid leadership everywhere is completely reactive to preserve thier big fat salaries. For RU, being early was the same thing as being wrong for the people that got fired.

Why did UCF build a stadium when they did? a finance expert would think it was financed with junk bonds, an economics expert knows they financed it with envy. If for not our success under Leavitt they would still be playing in the Citrus bowl.

Because the Citrus Bowl wasn't available because of renovations?

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

1 hour ago, Roaming Bull said:

We aren’t doing this for them. This is for us. Everyone knows it a day late and dollar short. But sometimes you have to do things for yourself and not for other people 

Possibly, the Admin/Athletics/Board got a rude wakeup call when the B12 passed USF by..?  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

1 hour ago, Bulls 1 said:

Our lack of commitment to athletics has now manifested into USF being left behind in conference expansion.  UCF, Cincinnati, Houston, and BYU are headed to the Big 12 conference with an announcement expected Friday.  For years, our facilities have been and are inferior to those schools being chosen for the Big 12, resulting in poor recruiting and a terrible product out in the field.  Recruiting talent from now on will take a bigger hit.  Why would a recruit want to play football for USF if they can attend UCF and play in the Big 12?  I now see why the OCS announcement was made yesterday.  The board of trustees new that USF was being left behind in the Big 12 expansion and to soften the blow to alumni and donors, the stadium announcement was thrown out there.  I’m an alum that has supported the program since the beginning with season tickets and countless donations.  Too late USF, this really hurts. 

Thank you Puc McMurphy.

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  551

1 hour ago, pascobull said:

I agree with you.  On my previous post, If I implied that we should not build the OCS, that was not what I meant.  We need to build it.  As stated "Good leadership makes decisions based on 3 to 5 year timelines"  We should have built the IPF 4 or 5 years ago and have the stadium by now.  That would have helped with recruiting and our product on the field.  However, we are now left behind.  USF leadership has dug a hole that we may not be able to get out of.