• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Opportunity Squandered

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

How about we start with a new president that is a USF grad and loves football and other sports...Then, campaign to bring in grads and other's into the Alumni Assoc and the Bull's Club. I read about prominent folks, professionals, politicians or athletes that went to USF or played...then I look on the Alum Assoc roles to see if they are members...The majority are not. I find that disturbing. These people need to be tapped and pursued. The students..?? I want to see the Student section when we play FL A&M it will be a teller...

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,408
  • Days Won:  5

19 minutes ago, BulledOver said:

How about we start with a new president that is a USF grad and loves football and other sports...Then, campaign to bring in grads and other's into the Alumni Assoc and the Bull's Club. I read about prominent folks, professionals, politicians or athletes that went to USF or played...then I look on the Alum Assoc roles to see if they are members...The majority are not. I find that disturbing. These people need to be tapped and pursued. The students..?? I want to see the Student section when we play FL A&M it will be a teller...

BRIAN LAMB???

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

12 minutes ago, BulledOver said:

Pretty sure the train has left the station.  I just have this feeling of dread about USF Athletics the last 2 days. If the people that went there don't give a crap I'm wondering why I do.  IDK if WBB is a big enough connection for me to remain an Iron Bull. Probably done with FB if we don't see any marked improvement this year. Same could be said for MBB. I've said in the past that the opponent doesn't matter in FB but the atmosphere and lack of excitement at games is sobering and getting to me. Leaving at or before halftime isn't entertainment. I've never had any expectations as far as a national championship at USF but at least entertain me. I turned off Thursday's game before halftime. I've seen that movie before.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

9 hours ago, Brad said:

Brad said: “

entrepreneurs that were willing to give money”

Yeah, I didn't see that one before I posted (way past my bedtime) but where were those entrepreneurs before 2010. If CJL and LRS couldn't get them to a big buy in during our "glory days" it was never going to happen

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

21 hours ago, ZeroBullChip said:

It failed the moment we allowed politics to cancel Jim Leavitt.  Period.  We may have been mediocre for ever with him, but we won big games and it was exciting.

People wanted Leavitt out well before the alleged incident... that was just the catalyst.  He had plateaued and three straight years with mid-season collapses should have been enough to fire him.  Three years of problems and Holtz was fired. Three years of problems and Strong was fired.  Moreover, the academics of the team were on the brink of forcing USF to lose scholarships.  Something had to change.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I can see we are all going through the five stages of grief in these threads. Most are still at anger but a few of you have reached depression…only a few more to go fellows. 

• Crying 1

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

24 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Pretty sure the train has left the station.  I just have this feeling of dread about USF Athletics the last 2 days. If the people that went there don't give a crap I'm wondering why I do.  IDK if WBB is a big enough connection for me to remain an Iron Bull. Probably done with FB if we don't see any marked improvement this year. Same could be said for MBB. I've said in the past that the opponent doesn't matter in FB but the atmosphere and lack of excitement at games is sobering and getting to me. Leaving at or before halftime isn't entertainment. I've never had any expectations as far as a national championship at USF but at least entertain me. I turned off Thursday's game before halftime. I've seen that movie before.

I get it. When we are competitive and not getting a pity reference by commentators it does make you feel a lot better about all things USF. This cellar dweller stuff has gotten very very old. I believe it must start at the top. We don't need a Calif President we need a USF grad or someone who has proven they will propel athletics along with academics.  

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

Yeah, I didn't see that one before I posted (way past my bedtime) but where were those entrepreneurs before 2010. If CJL and LRS couldn't get them to a big buy in during our "glory days" it was never going to happen

That's one assumption. 

Some of them di give or began to give.   I'm not talking T. Boone Pickens Trip.  I can tell you the ones I was aware of left when Leavitt was sacrificed.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

2 hours ago, Brad said:

That's one assumption. 

Some of them di give or began to give.   I'm not talking T. Boone Pickens Trip.  I can tell you the ones I was aware of left when Leavitt was sacrificed.

So after 10 years their loyalty is still to an ex coach rather than the football program. If there are enough of these types it would help explain why we’re a laughing stock when it comes to donations. Hopefully the SMU program appreciates their money. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

4 minutes ago, Triple B said:

So after 10 years their loyalty is still to an ex coach rather than the football program. If there are enough of these types it would help explain why we’re a laughing stock when it comes to donations. Hopefully the SMU program appreciates their money. 

Which is pretty stupid…no coach should ever be bigger than a program. Those who left for that reasons were not real fans of USF and their loyalty was a complete joke.