• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Opportunity Squandered

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,345
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, zarnozdabull said:

The hiring of Charlie Strong will be looked back upon as the moment USF football was destroyed.

"This offense is too fast, we need to slow it down" will forever haunt me in my sleep.

Well before Chuck.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,081
  • Days Won:  39

1 hour ago, Fold FB Invest in BB said:

I don't think it would have ever really made a difference whether we sustained success or not. There never was and never will be a seat for this program at the big kids table, and that's true for about 90% of the schools out there.

That's not true though.  So you are saying there was always a seat for UCF?  They went and took it while we reminisced about one WVU game that one time.  And oh the glorious red cupholders.

Edited by Rocky Style

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

6 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

That's not true though.  So you are saying there was always a seat for UCF?  They went and took it while we reminisced about one WVU game that one time.  And oh the glorious red cupholders.

You're saying they have a seat?

Just now, Fold FB Invest in BB said:

You're saying they have a seat?

They are playing and competing in relevant games so yes.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Just now, Rocky Style said:

They are playing and competing in relevant games so yes.

Granted they get more TV money from this, sure... for now. The few programs at the top stay there while 20-130 play some version of musical chairs. To me, it isn't meaningful and it's certainly not a seat at the table.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

33 minutes ago, USFBULL_08 said:

Well before Chuck.

We were setting record for number of wins in a season right before Chuck was hired...

41 minutes ago, Fold FB Invest in BB said:

Granted they get more TV money from this, sure... for now. The few programs at the top stay there while 20-130 play some version of musical chairs. To me, it isn't meaningful and it's certainly not a seat at the table.

We were quite happy there though.  And we would get a big game every now and then.  That worked for us.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,077
  • Days Won:  14

Winning big games and never getting a title was 1000x better than this.  We are truly circling the drain.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

4 hours ago, HPbull said:

I am an alumni of USF and I have been going and watching games for over a decade. I don't know if what all these writers are reporting about possible expansion candidates is true or not I guess we will see but I just feel like USF sat on their hands and did nothing. We made it to number 2 in the football polls and had some success under Levitt and I think that USF got complacent thinking it would always be that easy so to me if feels as if they stopped trying to be anything more then what they were under Levitt.  We had a chance to get Rick Petino after his scandal even Bobby Petrino and Rich Rodriquez at one point in time but USF always seem like the institution that wants to take the high road. I am not saying get down in the gutter like some other school but what I am saying that if you want to win sometimes you have to be willing to step out there on a limb and do what many might feel might not be the best course of action for instance- Rick Patino did some bad thing but everyone deserves another chance at redemption and then hire him BOOM instant basketball success because of the name value alone same with football. USF always seem to take the safe route, for over a decade students have been wanting an on campus stadium but was always met with a contingent of people that said but but but we play in Ray J. Nobody cares Ray J feels like a corporate cavern, having an on campus stadium even If we had to swallow our pride and build one like FAU or UCF we should have and just did upgrades along the way. USF games have no college atmosphere even when packed on rare occasions, we missed the boat to build an on campus and develop unique traditions that you see other teams do maybe even run out with a real bull. 

Long story short if USF gets left behind its peers UCF, UC etc then its no fault but USF's they sat on their butts for years and didn't make the necessary commitment like the school to the east did and the University will ultimately pay for that decision. I know I am just one person but if we get regulated to a lower conference then we currently reside it then that will be it for me as a fan of USF sports, why should we show more commitment to a University and its sports program then the University is will to show themselves.

Yes.  Man, gotta say your post is longer than any one I have ever done..Good job! We all can agree with things you say/feel they have been repeated on TBP for years over and over. Your only a decade into this USF fan adventure so give it time. Never know, you might get on the bus to success(oh wait that guy is gone). Come on TBP, vent or commend or wish or just read some of the posts(some are actually interesting/informative)-And, there is quite the cast of characters on here so enjoy it. Remember: It takes a strong person to be a Bull's fan

• Like 1