• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Congrats UCF. You win. Permanently. I'm done.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

Just now, Roaming Bull said:

I don’t think we would have lost much. Hosts some concerts or other events and try to break even. Nothing is certain in life except death and taxes

One thing is also for certain debt service on capital expenditures with an uncertain and changing business model that is having trouble with net defection and has not exercised any path towards solvency. If you have an alternative option most people would try to exercise that before trying a if you spend $250 million they will come approach.  

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  488
  • Days Won:  2

11 minutes ago, Roaming Bull said:

OCS gets alumni back on campus, so it possibly boosts engagement. I think that leads to a virtuous cycle, of engagement, giving, and more importantly giving a ****. We don’t get folks on campus, no one has an attachment to the glazer bowl and we fail to connect with a lot of folks after they graduate. Would having an OCS help…. Maybe

This is what I’ve been saying too. I am an alum and I could not give a crap about Ray Jay. When I go back to the campus it definitely boosts engagement. I will go watch soccer with my kids and you “feel” something by being there.

I will never, ever, accept the notion that we would not be better off had we built an OCS.

I’m not saying we’d be in a bigger, better conference. But we would be relevant amongst the student body and alumni. USF Football is no longer relevant…it’s not been in a long time. And that is a complete shame and failure.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

One thing is also for certain debt service on capital expenditures with an uncertain and changing business model that is having trouble with net defection and has not exercised any path towards solvency. If you have an alternative option most people would try to exercise that before trying a if you spend $250 million they will come approach.  

Meh. What’s $250 million to the community? I’m sure the glazers will get that from the county no problem, so why couldn’t we? 

Sidenote: Isn’t it interesting that most other parts of the their stadiums last 50 years or more, with frequent renovations, and the shelf life for a stadium here is like 20 years or something? Kind of mind blowing how much money we piss away on these structures 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 hours ago, USFsKnightmare18 said:

The self-loathing and pity party on this board is ridiculous. As a UCF fan, I would have loved nothing more for USF to join UCF in a Power 5 conference to see these two programs grow together and continue their rivalry, but rivalry's only matter when both teams actually try, and USF hasn't tried in many, many years. No money has been invested in their football program and it shows and sadly, it's probably too late at this point as the college football landscape is changing, and USF probably doesn't have the 10+ years it will take to grow their program when everyone else is going to be adjusting as well. 

One other thing: I still find it amazing and hilarious that USF fans (especially ones on this board) still give UCF crap about their football stadium. No, it's not some modern day marvel, it's not the nicest stadium ever constructed, but you know what? It doesn't matter, and it never mattered. Very few people I'm sure ever sat in the stands thinking "wow I wish this stadium had chairs instead of benches" or "I wish it had some of those expensive suites for insanely rich people." The 50 million dollars UCF invested for on campus football was the single most important catalyst as to why UCF's program took off. It allowed students, fans, and most importantly alumni to be on the campus and see the growth first hand. It created a sense of community having it on our campus which means more donations to the college. That's a big part of the reason why the gameday experience is so incredible there. Say what you want, but that rust bucket, pop up stadium will be hosting Big 12 football in a couple of years, and USF will have been left behind. 

As far as I am concerned you are correct with your points. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,576
  • Days Won:  423

2 hours ago, Roaming Bull said:

OCS gets alumni back on campus, so it possibly boosts engagement. I think that leads to a virtuous cycle, of engagement, giving, and more importantly giving a ****. We don’t get folks on campus, no one has an attachment to the glazer bowl and we fail to connect with a lot of folks after they graduate. Would having an OCS help…. Maybe

Agree on that ........ but it sounds like what we'd have been banking on is alumni who who didn't care enough about USF football games to go or enough about the school to visit but were hopefully going to be curious enough to check out an ocs and then hopefully get engaged and open pocketbooks.

And also understand that this area isn't some small time sports market like UCF is thriving in. They truly are the hometown team and that is one of the biggest differences in our two situations.

4 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Agree on that ........ but it sounds like what we'd have been banking on is alumni who who didn't care enough about USF football games to go or enough about the school to visit but were hopefully going to be curious enough to check out an ocs and then hopefully get engaged and open pocketbooks.

And also understand that this area isn't some small time sports market like UCF is thriving in. They truly are the hometown team and that is one of the biggest differences in our two situations.

Yeah but they are still building memories, playing on nostalgia, making moves to keep their fan base involved. I’m sure each of those moves pays dividends. These are all moves we currently can’t make. 

I’m not sure how much of a factor the other teams in town play. I think winning makes a big difference. If we can’t win consistently doesn’t market size folks won’t show up

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  82
  • Days Won:  0

On 9/5/2021 at 10:48 AM, Galloway said:

All Bull fans should read this fan's above post. UCF supporter here checking in to provide some perspective. Patience! UCF faced this same scenario in 2003 and look where we are now. The footprint has been set! Get better, recruit better, move up the AAC ranks. You don't have to go through UCF or UC anymore. USF can compete and beat Memphis and SMU and it can happen fast. The path is easier to be top dog in G5! ESPN and the national press love the underdog, just look @ the press the UCFs, UCs, BYUs and now Coastal Carolina gets. It's not far fetched you could be knocking on the CFP door as there will be access for a G5 team. Heck it could be easier for USF than UCF! But, I live in Tampa and success starts @ the top and USF has to do better with marketing and leadership. Build a culture, find a way to get butts in the seats. The program needs to create a niche and separate themselves from the Bucs. Image is everything. Really, an on campus stadium changes everything. Your donors need to step up, pull some strings in Tallahassee. You guys laugh @ UCF's cheap stadium, but guess what it may not be fancy but it moved the needle for the program back 2007. Cut some corners, if the right people work the systems you can generate $150 million and build a nice stadium. UAB just opened a nice one for around that price. Right now there's only one way to go for USF and that's up! 

If I remember correctly you all did some cheating also . 

14 minutes ago, Roaming Bull said:

Yeah but they are still building memories, playing on nostalgia, making moves to keep their fan base involved. I’m sure each of those moves pays dividends. These are all moves we currently can’t make. 

I’m not sure how much of a factor the other teams in town play. I think winning makes a big difference. If we can’t win consistently doesn’t market size folks won’t show up

Relevant winning. You've got to have the splash ooc wins and then conf champioships ...... and hope that's enough. I've watched other programs host the AACCG, seen the numbers in the stands and the excitement of what they're playing for and just have a really hard time seeing that replicated here to that scale .... no matter where the game's played. Bottom line, though, the on the field product is the highest priority and there's sadly no quick fix for that.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Relevant winning. You've got to have the splash ooc wins and then conf champioships ...... and hope that's enough. I've watched other programs host the AACCG, seen the numbers in the stands and the excitement of what they're playing for and just have a really hard time seeing that replicated here to that scale .... no matter where the game's played. Bottom line, though, the on the field product is the highest priority and there's sadly no quick fix for that.

True, but I didn’t think this level of ojt was needed for Scott when he came in. Decent coaching can mask some deficiencies, but he’s not there yet. We should’ve grabbed an FCS coach or poached from lower G5. I think Scott will need a longer learning curve then we can bare at the moment. Hindsight is always 20/20 though

10 minutes ago, Roaming Bull said:

True, but I didn’t think this level of ojt was needed for Scott when he came in. Decent coaching can mask some deficiencies, but he’s not there yet. We should’ve grabbed an FCS coach or poached from lower G5. I think Scott will need a longer learning curve then we can bare at the moment. Hindsight is always 20/20 though

This was a horrible year to have possibly one of the hardest 1-2 punches on our schedule coming out the gate (2nd maybe only to the MSU/MSU combo in 2013). I agree on the ojt but we really don't have any idea how this CJS thing is going to work out considering all the circumstances so far ...... all we can do now is hope ...... and/or ***** and moan if that's how one's wired.