• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Back to the computers?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

15 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

So are you suggesting that USF should just keep doing what they've been doing? I guess if "conference affiliation and playing on the G5 level" is where USF wants to be then I'll go back to my G5 playoff suggestion. IF USF wants to improve their image and exposure, then IMO, marketing is the first major step that should be taken.

You would be surprised at how many times I'm asked, because I wear a USF shirt almost everyday, "Is there a game today?" "How did their football team do this year?" "Is there something going on at USF?" etc.

We need someone that is young enough, dynamic enough, knows how to use todays technology, and cares enough about USF to actually make a difference.

Again you are missing my whole point. Again this has nothing to do with USF. We have almost zero chance of going to the P5. But the same also applies to the rest of our conference members. What we need to do is get the conference in a better position to always get the NYD bowl game and to get in the playoffs (as long as it moves up to 8 teams with an auto for one for the G5). To do that we should add Boise and maybe one other university. Further, USF needs to invest more in its football program from a university level...especially with facilities. The G5 playoff suggestion is terrible and will mean we are third tier. The fact that people have to ask you if there is a game today indicates they don’t follow the program...there will be more of that with a G5 playoff as we would move further into irrelevancnacy. 

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

21 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

Just catching up on the 'pen and sports so a little bit behind.  Couldn't they just rank a team #9 like they did with Cinci?

I imagine if they go to 8 teams that there will be a spot for the top-ranked G5 team so long as certain criteria are met. 

3 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

I imagine if they go to 8 teams that there will be a spot for the top-ranked G5 team so long as certain criteria are met. 

Probably need to be ranked in top 12.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

Just now, NewEnglandBull said:

Probably need to be ranked in top 12.

I'm guessing that will be it. There will be every motivation at that point for the committee to just rank them #8 unless they clearly deserve to be ranked higher. 

1 minute ago, BullyPulpit said:

I'm guessing that will be it. There will be every motivation at that point for the committee to just rank them #8 unless they clearly deserve to be ranked higher. 

Which I have no problem with. Give the top 3 a bye then 8 plays 4, 7 plays 5, etc. 

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

4 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Again you are missing my whole point. Again this has nothing to do with USF. We have almost zero chance of going to the P5. But the same also applies to the rest of our conference members. What we need to do is get the conference in a better position to always get the NYD bowl game and to get in the playoffs (as long as it moves up to 8 teams with an auto for one for the G5). To do that we should add Boise and maybe one other university. Further, USF needs to invest more in its football program from a university level...especially with facilities. The G5 playoff suggestion is terrible and will mean we are third tier. The fact that people have to ask you if there is a game today indicates they don’t follow the program...there will be more of that with a G5 playoff as we would move further into irrelevancnacy. 

Again, you are missing my point. This has EVERYTHING to do with USF. I agree that our chances of moving to the P5 are as close to zero as we can get. So, MAKE USF EVERYTHING IT CAN BE! How? put a marketable product in front of the masses. How do you do that? MARKETING. And then you have to follow that up with that product. Why are there billions of dollars spent for advertisement in products you've never heard of? To at least get you to try it. 

1 minute ago, BDYZR said:

Again, you are missing my point. This has EVERYTHING to do with USF. I agree that our chances of moving to the P5 are as close to zero as we can get. So, MAKE USF EVERYTHING IT CAN BE! How? put a marketable product in front of the masses. How do you do that? MARKETING. And then you have to follow that up with that product. Why are there billions of dollars spent for advertisement in products you've never heard of? To at least get you to try it. 

We actually agree on the spending part. As I noted at the end of my prior post the university has never fully supported football. They should be all in or not at all. Doing this half ass will make our program the same way. Your ideas about marketing seem fine to me. I just don’t support you G5 playoff perspective. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

3 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Yep, they made it to the final four. Most don’t remember that Penn made it to the final four in ‘79. But they had the bad luck of playing Magic Johnson and Michigan State. Total blow out after 10 mins in. 

Without looking, that Penn team had Bilsky and Wohl ay guards. I believe a guy named Morse at a forward. They had a short center but can't come up with the name.

Edited by CousinRicky

46 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Without looking, that Penn team had Bilsky and Wohl ay guards. I believe a guy named Morse at a forward. They had a short center but can't come up with the name.

Wow you are better than me on that. I was only like 12 at the time. That final of MSU vs Indiana State was the first basketball game I saw from start to finish. 😦

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,519
  • Days Won:  422

I say we pick one of the "successful" G5's that we aspire to, competing in a market against 3 major sports franchises and 2 major college state football programs, with a less than 30 year old program that's taken a step back in conf affiliation and emulate what made them successful ...

• Upvote 3