• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

2 minutes ago, OcalaBull2 said:

Those different levels you mentioned are completely opinionated.  So, Stanford and JU aren't considered g5 or p5, are also a step above Juco, yet they're able to do pretty well and somehow have managed to look better than us over recent years.  How is UCF able to sweep Auburn yet we can't manage to win one game against an unranked team from up north?  

There isn't a JuCo in the nation that could hold Vanderbilt's jock right now. I don't get the statement that JuCo's are getting the second level of talent or even the idea that "first level" talent goes pro. 

2018 MLB draft - 

66% of those drafted went to a 4 year school

25% came out of HS

9% from JuCo

And the last 25 years have basically been a split with the first overall pick being either a HS player or a 4 year player.

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

6 minutes ago, OcalaBull2 said:

So, Stanford and JU aren't considered g5 or p5, are also a step above Juco, yet they're able to do pretty well and somehow have managed to look better than us over recent years. Neither one has ever tried to have a division one football team, all their eggs have gone to baseball. not saying both cant be done, but there as been a differnece in how USf has approached and funded athletics 

How is UCF able to sweep Auburn yet we can't manage to win one game against an unranked team from up north?  There should be no "we knew the offense would be bad." That comes down to poor recruiting. C'mon man you are referencing random series we lead the all time head to head series 71-67 and have won three of the last five meetings. They aren't any better than us in the grand scheme of things. 

Guest Jonesy Bull

Its a long season.  And as bad as it lioks right now, he deserves the full season before decision is made.

That said, the seat is getting HOT AS HELL!

5 minutes ago, JTrue said:

There isn't a JuCo in the nation that could hold Vanderbilt's jock right now. I don't get the statement that JuCo's are getting the second level of talent or even the idea that "first level" talent goes pro. 

2018 MLB draft - 

66% of those drafted went to a 4 year school

25% came out of HS

9% from JuCo

And the last 25 years have basically been a split with the first overall pick being either a HS player or a 4 year player.

well i'm not sure you looking at this right, of that 66%, how many of them were top 100 players coming out of high school. I think to see the point im making, you have to look at  where top talent is going. Look at the percentage of the top 100 hs players in the state and see if they are getting drafted or going to JUCO. 

https://www.perfectgame.org/Rankings/Players/StateRankings.aspx?gyear=2019&state=FL

Of the top 50 players in 2019 

3 are on G5 rosters, 2 went to FIU and we saw the third one on the bump Saturday pitch an absolute gem. 

5 are at Jucos 

the rest committed P5 or went pro. 

of the next 50- 30 went JUCO or D2

Edited by BrassBulls12

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

28 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

My overall point is that we aren't trending in the right direction with baseball and that's largely due to poor recruiting and coaching.  Northeastern may not be better than us overall in history, but they came to Florida and handed it to us.  We've done nothing to impress this season yet at all.   

4 minutes ago, OcalaBull2 said:

My overall point is that we aren't trending in the right direction with baseball and that's largely due to poor recruiting and coaching.  Northeastern may not be better than us overall in history, but they came to Florida and handed it to us.  We've done nothing to impress this season yet at all.   

My overall point is that the sport is so diluted from there being so many options (see my response to Jtrue) that the idea that we should be good because we are a division one program in the state of Florida is just misguided. Here, just as everywhere else, programs have to be built by good people. For whatever reason and im sure if you dig deep enough you will find many, we just haven't. Those other programs that have been referenced in this thread have. firing coaches after three seasons because they don't make to the tourny 2 out of the 3 isn't gonna do it either. If he makes the conference tourny and the freshman are playing well he deserves a chance to build on that. He's only had two full recruiting cycles as the head guy and as we established, we don't get a crack at very many impact freshman and think he found two in this class.  

• Topic Count:  354
  • Content Count:  4,095
  • Days Won:  56

56 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Its a long season.  And as bad as it lioks right now, he deserves the full season before decision is made.

That said, the seat is getting HOT AS HELL!

I thought the seat was hot when we failed to qualify for the conference tournament last year. That should never happen.

Edited by Dave_Glaser
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  839
  • Days Won:  0

Northeastern, Marist, and FAMU may turn into world beaters but thus far they are 1-12 combined when not playing USF. I guess it depends on what the hopes for the season are. If you want an at large regional birth, you need to pick up some of these games. Not only that but the series vs Northeastern wasn’t even competitive. Northeastern is not Cal State Fullerton. They have had 2 regional appearances in the past 20 years. 

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, BrassBulls12 said:

My overall point is that the sport is so diluted from there being so many options (see my response to Jtrue) that the idea that we should be good because we are a division one program in the state of Florida is just misguided. Here, just as everywhere else, programs have to be built by good people. For whatever reason and im sure if you dig deep enough you will find many, we just haven't. Those other programs that have been referenced in this thread have. firing coaches after three seasons because they don't make to the tourny 2 out of the 3 isn't gonna do it either. If he makes the conference tourny and the freshman are playing well he deserves a chance to build on that. He's only had two full recruiting cycles as the head guy and as we established, we don't get a crack at very many impact freshman and think he found two in this class.  

I don’t think firing a coach after not making a regional two out of three years is a good reason. But not making your conference tourney two of those years is. For the reasons I mentioned before we should not be a bottom feeder in the aac. If you can’t string up enough talent in the state of Florida alone you’ve got problems ahead of you. Those other schools have found success because they’ve recruited well and they’ve used the talent they have well. If I recall correctly game management was also an issue last season, which has nothing to do with Florida talent and everything to do with coaching capability. Not winning with talent availability is only one aspect of why things haven’t worked out so far. If we show progress then most of what I’m saying is irrelevant. My biggest fear is that we haven’t shown much progress yet but instead regression.