• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

9 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Just to be clear Northeastern is one of the better non Ivy schools in the northeast...they are far far from a community college. Now in terms of athletics, their baseball team is average at best. 

There's no possible way they can be good, they are from the north. They don't get to play baseball every hour of everyday like we do. No team can ever be good if they are from the north. 

• Upvote 1

Also can we stop treating baseball like its football. A school is not small or suck just because you have never heard of them. This is a sport where schools such as Dallas Baptist University and Cal State Fullerton are a very good programs and have been better than us for years, Stetson is a good program on a national level. It's not then end of the world that we lost to Northeastern, they aren't a terrible program and got an at large bid to the tournament in 2018. Now we did look pretty bad offensively, but they played well too. 

I'm in the play it out camp. We don't gain anything by firing Mohl, all quality candidates are currently employed. But I will stand in the camp that says the final record, long as we make the conference tourney, doesn't matter as much as how the freshman are playing at the end. If the freshman and Sophomores are starting to put it together towards the end, CBM deserves a chance to build on that. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

19 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

Also can we stop treating baseball like its football. A school is not small or suck just because you have never heard of them. This is a sport where schools such as Dallas Baptist University and Cal State Fullerton are a very good programs and have been better than us for years, Stetson is a good program on a national level. It's not then end of the world that we lost to Northeastern, they aren't a terrible program and got an at large bid to the tournament in 2018. Now we did look pretty bad offensively, but they played well too. 

I'm in the play it out camp. We don't gain anything by firing Mohl, all quality candidates are currently employed. But I will stand in the camp that says the final record, long as we make the conference tourney, doesn't matter as much as how the freshman are playing at the end. If the freshman and Sophomores are starting to put it together towards the end, CBM deserves a chance to build on that. 

Baseball is a completely different animal and you hit the nail on the head when you say a school is not small or suck because others haven't heard of them.

I think that statement alone, though, speaks to the fact that the performance we've seen by USF so far is bad.  Football is a breeding ground in Florida, but I personally feel it's even more amplified with baseball.  This is the one sport I can speak for when I say that there's tons and tons of untapped talent in the state, and being a D1 school in Tampa there's really no reason we shouldn't be consistently decent at the very worst.  Last year we had injuries so if any excuse is made that's somewhat legitimate.  But this year?  I  don't care if we're young, we should still be able to take at least one game from a school who experiences a true winter. 

Firing Mohl mid season won't do much good, but I think it's pretty obvious that the staff will be looked at by the end of the year if we continue to see this trend. 

I get that there is a ton of talent in the state but there is also a ton of options just in the state alone. I mean I don't have a number but I can believe there are no less than 300+ schools and 30 MLB teams recruiting the state.

Also important to remember 

1st level talent goes pro

2nd level talent goes JUCO to go pro early

3rd level talent goes P5 

4th level g5 

Now there is some mixing like 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 but we aren't getting close to top level talent, even in the state. 

We knew the offense would be bad and it is. Pitching for the most part has been good. If the bats can get hot for a little bit, you will see what potential this team has but I think it just needs to get handed off to the youth and take the bumps. 

Edited by BrassBulls12

3 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

All of which makes some of us wonder why these schools can build consistent, reputable programs and we cannot.

They just did? What about the geography alabama makes it more conducive to football than anywhere else? A good program can be built anywhere, it's more about the people than the place. Baseball has some pretty deep roots in all four corners of this nation, including being invented in and around the northeast. 

Edited by BrassBulls12

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

Just get rid of it and give the scholarships to the hockey program 

Edited by puc86
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,002
  • Days Won:  469

meet GIF

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

Just get rid of it and give the scholarships to the hockey program 

Was really hoping for a bring back  Cardieri post. 

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

1 minute ago, BrassBulls12 said:

Was really hoping for a bring back  Cardieri post. 

That would have required me to have been familiar enough with the program to even know a coaches name. Of all the sports we fail at the one that is most perplexing to me is baseball but lucky for me it is also the one I care least about.

• Haha 2

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

4 hours ago, BrassBulls12 said:

I get that there is a ton of talent in the state but there is also a ton of options just in the state alone. I mean I don't have a number but I can believe there are no less than 300+ schools and 30 MLB teams recruiting the state.

Also important to remember 

1st level talent goes pro

2nd level talent goes JUCO to go pro early

3rd level talent goes P5 

4th level g5 

Now there is some mixing like 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 but we aren't getting close to top level talent, even in the state. 

We knew the offense would be bad and it is. Pitching for the most part has been good. If the bats can get hot for a little bit, you will see what potential this team has but I think it just needs to get handed off to the youth and take the bumps. 

We aren't getting those players, you're right, but that still doesn't matter.  We've been competitive in the past with the same access to players yet for some reason that's now different. So, Stanford and JU aren't considered g5 or p5, are also a step above Juco, yet they're able to do pretty well and somehow have managed to look better than us over recent years.  How is UCF able to sweep Auburn yet we can't manage to win one game against an unranked team from up north?  There should be no "we knew the offense would be bad." That comes down to poor recruiting. 

Edited by OcalaBull2