• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Get behind the Jeff Scott hire

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

54 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

I agree, but, it seems odd that we as fans, and I think the USF Athletic Department wants this coach (whoever it is) to be a rain maker with donors... if it's truly about the University and not the coach, shouldn't we hire someone else to be doing that work? Wasn't that originally Selmon's position?

It all speaks to a lack of commitment from USF to the football program. If we need an IPF, someone needs to figure out how to get it done. As others mentioned. We had some $$ from the BE days. I know we needed a baseball and softball stadium, soccer stadium, etc, but, someone needs to stretch that money into football facilities too.

You need your head coach to at least show up at events that your larger donors are attending. CCS never made it to the Iron Bull preseason event.  Charlie was never available because he was at practice. Funny thing about that is he told us he wasn't and Xs and Os guy so what harm would an hour away do?  The new guy needs to at least show up and say "nice to meet you, thank you for your support".  Then go back to practice if you must.  

Schiano has to raise 50% of donations for whatever athletic facilities he wants to add at RU.  Don't think that means he has to knock on doors but you may have to play a few rounds of golf, attend some dinners, etc.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

9 - 3 after losing a great QB?  I'd take that.

We'd take anything resembling that right now, we suck...but that's not the point.

You can't cite the "UCF model works!" when it hasn't even been put to the test.

It will be interesting seeing if their stepping stone model holds up better than ours, and we've been doing it longer. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

3 minutes ago, Brad said:

We'd take anything resembling that right now, we suck...but that's not the point.

It will be interesting seeing if their stepping stone model holds up better than ours, and we've been doing it longer. 

I don't see us as being in that model to date. Skip was supposed to be long, long term. Didn't work out. Believe the same of the CCS hire. We now may be entering that model.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

11 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I don't see us as being in that model to date. Skip was supposed to be long, long term. Didn't work out. Believe the same of the CCS hire. We now may be entering that model.

exactly. we've been using the sinking stone model.

you don't pay a guy as the 15th highest paid college coach unless you think he will be around. same with Skip. we broke the bank for him over the arkansas rumors.

we are overpaying average coaches so they won't leave and then we have to pay them a boatload to get rid of them.

Edited by Bull94

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

18 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

You forgot Willie, he for sure was a leaper...and I guess we all forget about how bad Charlie wanted out of South Florida.  Good to know those guys all wanted to stay ... I thought their intention was to move to a better gig.  So I guess we did just hire losers...We are what we though we were.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Just now, Brad said:

You forgot Willie, he for sure was a leaper...and I guess we all forget about how bad Charlie wanted out of South Florida.  Good to know those guys all wanted to stay ...

And skip signed up for a BCS conference. Its a different ball game now. I guess we're lucky he was a bad coach so that we didn't have to see him jump when we got demoted. 

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,012
  • Days Won:  38

1 minute ago, Brad said:

You forgot Willie, he for sure was a leaper...and I guess we all forget about how bad Charlie wanted out of South Florida.  Good to know those guys all wanted to stay ...

Willie woke up from his inception dream in a dream in a dream and realized this was his dream.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Just now, Brad said:

so then Frost worked for UCF

and Norvell for Memphis

and Herman for Houston

and Rhule for Temple

and .........

if you hire a guy based on the fact that you think he will stay then you are likely not hiring the best available.

Guest Jonesy Bull
26 minutes ago, Brad said:

We may have been doing it longer, we just haven't been doing it better.....Hopefully that is all about to change!

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

You forgot Willie, he for sure was a leaper...and I guess we all forget about how bad Charlie wanted out of South Florida.  Good to know those guys all wanted to stay ... I thought their intention was to move to a better gig.  So I guess we did just hire losers...We are what we though we were.

Point of order, Willie was not a loser here. Charlie and Skippy were.  Willie put in 4 years of hard work and left for triple the salary. 

• Upvote 1