• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Get behind the Jeff Scott hire

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,709
  • Days Won:  23

11 minutes ago, hedgehogfrenzy said:

Fair. It’s too early for Heupel.   I was also thinking Norvell, Fickell as well. Though Fickell doesn’t have a championship yet. 

9-3 with a true freshman QB and a top 10 offense where your 3 losses are by a combined 7 points is underperforming?

sign me up

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

This is the one statement/assumption I’m not there with yet.  Central Florida had success with Scott Frost.  He’s gone and Heupel in year two has underperformed.  My concerns for stepping stone schools is - can success be maintained on the 3 years and out model if you are constantly rebuilding staffs and recruits?  We will see, maybe.  It seems to be an inefficient and costly model, but it may be the only one as long as we are in the AAC...although if we can’t make it attractive for a coach to stay, it will occur if we were fortunate enough to find ourselves in the P5

As is life in the AAC (and really any non-blue blood). Any coach that we hire has two likely outcomes - succeed and jump, or fail and be fired (I know I know...CJL). This is even the case for quite a few non-blue blood"P5" programs.  Every offseason Iowa State has their guard up hoping someone wont pick off Campbell. Although he turned down the FSU job, if ND or Penn State ever opens up, they'll be looking for a HC as well. Minnesota is in the same boat (no pun intended). Heck, even Penn State had to extend James Franklin (who jumped from Vandy) to keep him away from USC/FSU. It's the nature of the beast. 

Regarding Scott/USF specifically, I genuinely believe Michael Kelly is our Ace in the hole. I'm not saying Kelly is going to fight off Ohio State or FSU if they come knocking, but the culture he is beginning to create and the way he is respected nationally should help us fend off the lower level P5's of the world. I say this for the same reasons I mentioned when people asked why a Clemson OC would come to USF....USF and the top half of the AAC is a tremendous destination if you want to prove yourself as a CEO in hopes of landing a TOP level P5 job. A guy like Scott easily could've landed a Vandy, Arizona, Colorado, Boston College level job. BUT, those jobs tend to be tougher and lengthier proving grounds as you're put in a disadvantage in your own conference. 

I understand that many think CJL could've broken this trend, and maybe he could've, I'm not sure. Right now this program needs momentum and winning seasons. If MK thinks Scott gives us the best chance to accomplish that, then you hire him and worry about his replacement when that time comes. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  118
  • Content Count:  6,459
  • Days Won:  28

3 hours ago, Roger "Toro" Smith said:

New member here and while I've visited and read the board for a long time, and have seen what I call "TheBullspen Grumpy Old Men",  I'm still shocked at some of the negativity around Jeff Scott. If you look around the Twitterverse and fansites, this guy is at the onset, a great hire. Clemson insiders and fans alike are lauding this hire for us if it is indeed what unfolds. 

For everyone pining for Leavitt, stop and go get some help. You all sound like jilted lovers who just can't seem to get over that first love. As a kid, going to USF games, I was in awe of The Jim and how he built this program. His passion on the sidelines is what made me fall in love with USF Football and later attend and graduate from USF. As much as we'd all like to dream of this triumphant return and applaud his 8-9 win seasons, it wasn't going to happen. That ship has sailed and the sooner we as fanbase move on, the better. 

My point is, lets get behind the new leader. All we can do as fans is show the new HC that we're ready to support.

And for anyone trashing the fact that Scott has never been a HC, so what?! A lot of coaches who came into programs and found abundant success had never been HC's before. It's a silly way of measuring what you think will be his future success. The guy is coming from a 1st class program, mentored by a FL football family and groomed under Dabo, recruits FL, AND is an offensive-minded coach. LOL, the guy literally checks all the boxes.

Also of note, you know this guy wants to make a mark and I'd be willing to bet he won't be outworked when it comes to shmoozing donors and injecting life into this program we all love.

Thanks for having me. Go Bulls! 

How dare you come on this board with all of this "positivity" lol That use to be me....until the negative Nancy's killed my spirit. In the end, no matter who they hire, I shall love, support and believe that we will always prevail. Welcome! 

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

28 minutes ago, Brad said:

This is the one statement/assumption I’m not there with yet.  Central Florida had success with Scott Frost.  He’s gone and Heupel in year two has underperformed.  My concerns for stepping stone schools is - can success be maintained on the 3 years and out model if you are constantly rebuilding staffs and recruits?  We will see, maybe.  It seems to be an inefficient and costly model, but it may be the only one as long as we are in the AAC...although if we can’t make it attractive for a coach to stay, it will occur if we were fortunate enough to find ourselves in the P5

Heupel hasn't really underperformed, but it is too early to call for sure.  It is really the only model you can use because if they aren't attracting P5 attention, then they aren't doing all that well here

Edited by chapelbull

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

2 hours ago, Bullshiznitz said:

After I thought about that, I kinda started leaning the other way.  Scott was more the program "manager" then while Elliott was the playcaller.  As far as experience for a head coach, thats probably more beneficial then the gameday play calling experience (as long as he brings in a good OC that is).  I think his dad coming along is another nice little cherry on top of this hire.  Brings a ton of experience to help mentor his son on being a first time head coach.  

Good points. 

1 hour ago, Thebullsfan said:

If he doesn't run the spread I'm not interested.

lol this

8 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

9-3 with a true freshman QB and a top 10 offense where your 3 losses are by a combined 7 points is underperforming?

sign me up

Exactly. Ill take that all day. 

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  20,940
  • Days Won:  38

Just now, chapelbull said:

Heupel has really underperformed, but it is too early to call for sure.  It is really the only model you can use because if they aren't attracting P5 attention, then they aren't doing all that well here

Basically get to NY6, then vacate your role unless it's an undefeated season.

5 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Heupel has really underperformed, but it is too early to call for sure.  It is really the only model you can use because if they aren't attracting P5 attention, then they aren't doing all that well here

how has heupel underperformed??

he is 21-4 at UCF.

They went 9-3 this year with a true freshman QB.

Their 3 losses were by a total of 7 points.

they had a top 10 offense

that's underperforming??

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Days Won:  1

2 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

how has heupel underperformed??

he is 21-4 at UCF.

They went 9-3 this year with a true freshman QB.

Their 3 losses were by a total of 7 points.

they had a top 10 offense

that's underperforming??

According to our crazy friends to the east it is...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,325
  • Content Count:  96,791
  • Days Won:  468

I thought 8-9 win seasons were failure. 

The team wasn’t as successful.  Looks better when you combine the seasons.  

But Heupel’s second season is a significant drop from the first.  

Just now, Brad said:

I thought 8-9 win seasons were failure. 

The team wasn’t as successful.  Look better when you combine the seasons.  But Heupel’s second season is a drop from the first.  

He has  a TRUE FRESHMAN starting at QB.

their 3 losses are by a combined 7 points.