• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Josh Newberg's Take on Coaching Search

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,592
  • Days Won:  29

Would like to have a handful of former players on staff.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  361
  • Days Won:  0

I’m hesitant with either one of those Kiffin or Taggart more so with Taggart however. Taggart is a good guy however what he did to Oregon for personal ambition is something that Mike Kelly will think about. I’m not knocking a person with ambition but when it’s at the expense of others that’s something dealing with character.

I know the argument he left for his dream job but the bottom line was he took the Oregon job And made a commitment to them and even convinced several quality recruits to travel to the north west with him. God bless him he made a lot of money however you have to wonder if he’s changed. I think what happened to him at FSU was Karma 

also I’m not so sure that he’s proven to be a great head coach.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

1 minute ago, Massbull said:

I’m hesitant with either one of those Kiffin or Taggart more so with Taggart however. Taggart is a good guy however what he did to Oregon for personal ambition is something that Mike Kelly will think about. I’m not knocking a person with ambition but when it’s at the expense of others that’s something dealing with character.

I know the argument he left for his dream job but the bottom line was he took the Oregon job And made a commitment to them and even convinced several quality recruits to travel to the north west with him. God bless him he made a lot of money however you have to wonder if he’s changed. I think what happened to him at FSU was Karma 

also I’m not so sure that he’s proven to be a great head coach.

you know Kiffin left Tenn after 1 year right?

3 minutes ago, Roaming Bull said:

See how much better #118 looks now 😎

ha ha

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,955
  • Days Won:  12

I love the idea of former players being in the mix. Other coaches may come and go but the folks that are native Bulls/Tampons will be passionate through and through. I like this lens to the coaching search. No more drama. Bleed green and gold or you're not a candidate.

5 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

It's the old "we need to hire a _________ man" logic that some college football fans use.   It's a cliche and nobody will question it if you put it out there to fluff your story/take (Which Josh certainly does often).  But when you step back and look at it giving preference to a coach who played at a university and hiring them often doesn't work out.  I get it college football runs off tradition and passion for your school but allowing that to bleed into your hiring **** near negligent.  

couldn't agree more. the guy with his resume wouldn't sniff this job if it weren't for the fact that he played and started coaching here.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

33 minutes ago, usf97 said:

I am real hesitant to see us bring in some big name assistant from one of these big schools where they have every advantage.

I’d rather see someone who has been able to have success at a lesser program. 

I get where you are coming from and I kind of agree.  Counterpoint is Frost, Heupel, and Fickell came from great programs. 

I think we need the little guy attitude - high energy and someone who can play the underdog. Don't think it has to come from a lesser program but it is something Kelly has to feel out.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Days Won:  1

1 minute ago, hm101 said:

I love the idea of former players being in the mix. Other coaches may come and go but the folks that are native Bulls/Tampons will be passionate through and through. I like this lens to the coaching search. No more drama. Bleed green and gold or you're not a candidate.

Native tampons? please enlighten us 🤣

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

10 minutes ago, Gismo said:

If has another opportunity, it means we won. 

EVERY next hire will leave for a program that can pay them more and in conference with a path to the playoff.

Everyone forgets that good old Tags was on the hot-seat to be fired until he struck gold with Q and that 1,000 yard + RB from the NFL, I forget what's his name. Sorry, no to Taggart.

5 minutes ago, Azmodi said:

Everyone forgets that good old Tags was on the hot-seat to be fired until he struck gold with Q and that 1,000 yard + RB from the NFL, I forget what's his name. Sorry, no to Taggart.

so was dabo swinney.....Our very own skip holtz led USF beat him in a bowl game in his 3rd year there.

How Dabo Swinney Went from Bad Hire to Hot Seat to National Championship Game

Swinney should have been gone in 2010, after a 6-7 season that ended with a loss to South Florida in a no-name bowl game. Former Clemson athletic director Terry Don Phillips, who hired Swinney in 2008, said he almost was.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2605558-how-dabo-swinney-went-from-bad-hire-to-hot-seat-to-national-championship-game

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

3 minutes ago, Azmodi said:

You could plug just about any coach's name into that sentence and say the same.  You're not winning unless you get some players and then it's what you do with them