• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Stadium on Campus

Guest Ken

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517
  • Days Won:  0

Wow that is interesting reading. In addition to the students UCF on average GIVES AWAY 10,000 tickets per game. See Section 5 page 7 of that 70 page document.

It's kind of vague in there but I think the way it's presented, the 10,000 includes the students as well. It makes a point of saying there are 10,000 tickets not paid for on a game basis but are included in the attendance. Unless they ignore the students as part of the attendance, they're in that 10,000.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest USF Student

I think many of you are looking beyond the fact that there is NO environment on our gamedays. There are groups of people that tailgate, get in, and get out. Tickets for our games are more expensive than UF's (25 and 28) and FSU's (25 and 35).

The tailgating is severly restricted, the campus is a good 20 minute drive from the stadium, student seats are aweful views ( UF gives its East stands entirely to it's student section, FSU gives a decent about of their east stands to their students too, and at some games we've been required to sit.

I am in grad school at USF, I did my undergrad at USF, and I am a HUGE college football fan. I invite those who just became interested in the sport since USF has gotten a team to attend a game at FSU, UF, Tennessee, Ohio State, or even South Carolina (all stadiums I have been to) and notice the big differences in the crowds, not only during the games, but before and after. You cannot tell me witha  straight face that the USF crowd is anywhere near that.

We as students have been working on logistics of an on cmapus stadioum for about a year now. The current deal with TSA is aweful. We receive no money, yet we allow them to treat us like crap. That is great that we get all those "amenities" at RJS, but do we really need things liek cupholders and escalators? No. Can we build an on campus stadium? Yes

UCF is paying through many donations, including one big one by Rich DeVos owner of the Orlando Magic. Their on campus stadium is going to be a magnet for recruits. Thats great that USF players they get to play in an NFL stadium 5-6 times a year, but does it make a difference what its like? Last I checked the playing surfaces are the same, the locker rooms are a little bit more plush, but they don't get to take full advantage of them (per a current player). The major difference will be the fact that UCF players will have a field opf their own with its own environment and traditions.

The environment is what makes a college football game, and as a Bull fan I cannot say with a straight face (except for the UCF game) that the total environment was anywhere near college football! Music blaring over the loud speakers, people congregating by the pirate ship, etc./ You don't see that at any big time college football program. IF USF wants to be that they will have too start think about abuilding an OCS sometime in the next 10 years.

Signed,

A student who does no teh logistics of what is going on at RJS and what we could do on our own campus.

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Signed,

A student who does no teh logistics of what is going on at RJS and what we could do on our own campus.

No offense, but if you're a grad student at USF then my opinion of our school's admission policy just dropped.

To compare programs at UF, FSU, and UT with a 9 year old USF program is asinine.  If your complaint is that USF has no tradition, maybe it's because we're less than a decade old.  I hardly think it's because intoxicated college kids aren't allowed to stomp on the grass after a win.  

Until the student section is on their feet singing the fight song at full-volume before games instead of mingling by the pirate ship with a Buc Brew in each fist, save the "we need tradition" arguments.  Developing traditions take time, effort, and involvement.  Blaming the lack of a college football environment on Raymond James Stadium is the lazy way out.  Up until last year, half our student section didn't know they weren't supposed to make noise while the Bulls had the ball, and yet now the student section is the expert on developing Football Tradition?  Please.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

The environment is what makes a college football game, and as a Bull fan I cannot say with a straight face (except for the UCF game) that the total environment was anywhere near college football!

the environment at the UL game was 100x better than the UCF game... the entire stadium was cheering and getting excited.  The UCF game had more people and more tailgaters, but the excitement level wasn't there in the stands.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

One thing I do like to hear, regardless of what the need is or what we can currently afford, is the students working on a plan. Get the ball rolling and who knows what can happen one day. The only thing I would caution is to make sure that you don't let your impatience sacrafice the quality of the stadium you propose. I don't think it would be going too far out on a limb to say that whenever the day comes that you get the stadium it will be your ONE shot to get it right. If you rush just to put up some tiny erectorset stadium you'll have to live with it indefinitely.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  880

One thing I do like to hear, regardless of what the need is or what we can currently afford, is the students working on a plan. Get the ball rolling and who knows what can happen one day.

Agree with you 100%.  Back when I was in school in the early 90's we helped to kick the "football movement" into overdrive.  Students CAN make an impact in the decision making process.  I'll also agree that an OCS is a "one-time shot" and that it must be done the right way the first time.  Expansions can occur, but the "core" of the stadium must be done right.

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  562

I don't think it would be going too far out on a limb to say that whenever the day comes that you get the stadium it will be your ONE shot to get it right. If you rush just to put up some tiny erectorset stadium you'll have to live with it indefinitely.

jesus christ-- we are located in the United States of America, not some 3rd world country for crying out loud.. so many of you are using the excuse that they dont want a "just add water" stadium, but believe me, the stadium that would be built (if people get off their apathetic butts) would live up to current day standards.  i swear, USF fans can be such snobs for a program that's a decade old.  listen, i'm not saying that USF builds a high school stadium on steroids (i'm putting faith in the athletic department that they'll build a stadium that meets modern standards), but you people are just waiting for a stadium built for King Midas with the garbage that comes out of your mouth.. seatbacks?  cupholders?  i mean, when will your desires be satisfied?  at this rate, you'll never get a stadium on campus because new ideas will roll off your tongue and before you know it, installing massage chairs will be next on the agenda..

do we want a rinky-dink stadium?  NO, but it doesnt cost that much to get a stadium to call OUR OWN-- thats all that's desired.. something that doesnt have a **** pirate ship in the endzone, bucs logos up the yin-yang, and a 20 minute drive through half the city.  i think wherein lies the problem is that USF's "old" alum have never been to an on-campus game (e.g.- UF, FSU) or have never appreciated what went on during gamedays on those other campuses.  if they did, they'd realize how pathetic driving 20 minutes to a rent-a-stadium (albeit, an NFL stadium) really is.  you walk around USF's campus on a gameday and is no different than a tuesday during exam week.  if you are satisfied with USF football on saturdays, simply drive to gainesville or tallahassee on saturdays and see what we're missing out on.  and if you think of using the excuse, "well, get your ass to the stadium and MAKE it more of a gameday feel"-- think again.  we could sell out that stadium every week (if anyone has been to a sold out miami game or a sold out ucla game knows) and it will NEVER equate to the feel of a college football game ON CAMPUS.

• Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,379

jesus christ-- we are located in the United States of America, not some 3rd world country for crying out loud.. so many of you are using the excuse that they dont want a "just add water" stadium, but believe me, the stadium that would be built (if people get off their apathetic butts) would live up to current day standards.  i swear, USF fans can be such snobs for a program that's a decade old.  listen, i'm not saying that USF builds a high school stadium on steroids (i'm putting faith in the athletic department that they'll build a stadium that meets modern standards), but you people are just waiting for a stadium built for King Midas with the garbage that comes out of your mouth.. seatbacks?  cupholders?  i mean, when will your desires be satisfied?  at this rate, you'll never get a stadium on campus because new ideas will roll off your tongue and before you know it, installing massage chairs will be next on the agenda..

do we want a rinky-dink stadium?  NO, but it doesnt cost that much to get a stadium to call OUR OWN-- thats all that's desired.. something that doesnt have a **** pirate ship in the endzone, bucs logos up the yin-yang, and a 20 minute drive through half the city.  i think wherein lies the problem is that USF's "old" alum have never been to an on-campus game (e.g.- UF, FSU) or have never appreciated what went on during gamedays on those other campuses.  if they did, they'd realize how pathetic driving 20 minutes to a rent-a-stadium (albeit, an NFL stadium) really is.  you walk around USF's campus on a gameday and is no different than a tuesday during exam week.  if you are satisfied with USF football on saturdays, simply drive to gainesville or tallahassee on saturdays and see what we're missing out on.  and if you think of using the excuse, "well, get your ass to the stadium and MAKE it more of a gameday feel"-- think again.  we could sell out that stadium every week (if anyone has been to a sold out miami game or a sold out ucla game knows) and it will NEVER equate to the feel of a college football game ON CAMPUS.

Wow what a pathetic one sided viewpoint.

Actually most of us old timers realize what a freaking GEM Ray Jay is. Most of us old timers know what it was like to have to GO to another school to watch football on the weekends. Most of us old timers know what it is like to have a HOME COMING BASKETBALL GAME. Most of us old timers know what it is like to sit and DREAM ABOUT HAVING FOOTBALL. Most of us old timers know what it is like to NOT HAVE FOOTBALL.

MOST OF US OLD TIMERS WOULD LOVE AN ON CAMPUS STADIUM. BUT MOST OF US OLD TIMERS HAVE GIVEN AND ARE GIVING ALL THE MONEY WE CAN TO THE PROGRAM. We know there isnt enough money in the coffers nor is there a need for and on campus stadium RIGHT NOW.

BE HAPPY WITH FOOTBALL. BE HAPPY WITH RAY JAY.

Its bad enough some of you are so **** upset you dont have an on campus stadium, its even worse when talk about a stadium just off campus brings out more complaints. What do you want a stadium ON TOP OF THE DORMS? Next you'll want the SunDome moved closer to the dorms so you dont have to walk to the basketball games.

Please.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,748

NO, but it doesnt cost that much to get a stadium to call OUR OWN-- thats all that's desired..

OK...now you've finally gotten around to using the word "cost". So here's your opportunity to throw down some hypothetical numbers.  Exactly how much is 'that much'?

And you are nuts to compare a program less than ten years old to programs that have been around for generations. Don't want a "just add water" stadium? Well, there's no such thing as "just add water" tradition.

That - like so much else in life - takes time. Something that, for some odd reason, you have a hard time grasping.

BTW: It used to take me 30 minutes to drive to USF for classes and now it takes me 30 minutes to get to the stadium. I have no sympathy for someone who can live with a 20 minute commute.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

It's all about priorities and costs.  I think all of agree it would be nice to have an OCS, but for the time being we play in a great stadium.  We have other facility issues that need to get fixed.  We need upgrades to the Sundome.  Our baseball facility is terrible, as is our softball facility.  I'm sure the soccer stadium needs work.  And we still need that on-campus tikki bar!!

Like I said before, if someone wants to pony up $100-$200 million specifically for an OCS, I'm sure USF would oblidge.  Until that time, we have other things we need to take care of.