• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Stadium on Campus

Guest Ken

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

jesus doug.. 1st off, the whole purpose of having an OCS is for the gameday experience and environment-- and most of that is for the enjoyment of the STUDENTS.. which is the whole basis of the gameday experience.  the 4 or so years at USF for undergrads would be an experience of a lifetime, and building a stadium on campus for alumni rather than for the undergrads is completely off target.. my hopes are that USF's OCS is filled with drunken students filtering from their dorms and from campus-wide tailgates, bumrushing into the doors of a stadium, holding up bull signs with their fingers, and filling a facility with STANDING students, frothing at the mouth, yelling obscenities, belting out the alma mater, and cheering on the bulls to a victory..

Cee, you are completely off target and extremely short sighted.   A stadium is not just for the students, its for the fans.  You are a stu fan for 4-5 yrs.  You will be an alum fan for the rest of your life.  Maybe 70 yrs.  I too would luv to have frothing at the mouth stu's, yelling but not obscenities, all stu's & alum's belting out the alma mater and cheering at every Bull's game, foot & basketball.  There's no reason not to have that at RJS except for fickle USF stu's and alums.  Alas, its going to take close to 15 yrs to have solid tradition at USF FB games of any kind.

my hopes ARENT of yours doug, which entail a bunch of 40 year old alums, sitting in seats with backs as their kids are sitting to the left of them with their gameboy advances and their wives breastfeeding their newborns to the right of them, and as a crowd is giving cutesy "golf claps" every time the bulls hit paydirt.  THIS IS BCS COLLEGE FOOTBALL, its supposed to be NC-17, nasty, personal, and not for the thin skinned.

Not my hopes at all either Cee but it's also reality.  I'll be forty in less than two months and I been to about 6 away games and there are a few here that will vouche for me.  I make an ass of myself cheering.  I need to apologize to those that sit in front of me 'cuz I tend to spray when yelling.  I am the loudest in the vicinity of my season ticket seats.  I stand for almost all defensive third downs unless the Bull lead is more than 21 pts.  IMO I out cheer 80-90% of the students.

Additionally, I luv to rag the visiting teams as much as possible but the only difference in maybe a stu & myself, I take pride in ragging and taunting opposing players w/o vulgarity or being personal.  This is a game and it should be all about the fun no matter at whatever level it is...NFL, D1A, DIII, HS or Pop Warner.  That's JMO.  Okay, I may break this rule for overly plump OLs.

comparing USF basketball to USF football is like comparing DUKE football to DUKE basketball-- there is no comparison.. no matter how well USF does in basketball, this is florida and this is football country, so that whole argument that the sundome doesnt sell out doesnt hold much weight.. florida as a whole has never been much of a basketball state.. the only thing close would be UF baskeball, be everyone knows that football is still what runs that town..

Sorry, to say this is weak argument.  The Dome is a good representation in what will happen if the FootBulls are not contenders.  It's about being a true Bull fan.  BTW what was said about the Dome is true.  I was a stu during that time and it was brutal at the Sun Dome.  It was loud & fun as heck.  We lost that 'cuz stu involvement nearly vanished.  Sheriff almost revived it a few yrs back but he had to move on and baton was put down.  

i think people making the argument that gamedays at UF and FSU are better because these towns are nothing more than "truck stops" is ridiculous as well.. i've lived in atlanta and i dare anyone to try to drive through midtown during a gatech homegame.  if anyone has ever been to los angeles knows that USC's gamedays are as good as anywhere else.. the list goes on as to football programs with GREAT gamedays in metropolitan areas.. yes, it CAN be done..but an oncampus stadium is a necessity

Does USC have an on campus stadium?  Is the Colesium on the USC campus?  Here's an excerpt from the USC website, "The Coliseum has a present full-capacity of 92,000 seats (almost all are chair-back seats). "  Hmmmm, wonder why that tidbit was in the description.  How about Pitt, they've even won a national championship.

The great atmosphere created at tradition rich schools was created by students but is enhanced/enriched by the involvement of alums, monetarily and participation.  I went to a few UF games while attending USF.  One of the best things I enjoyed was sharing a keg at a frat house with 50 yr old alums.  Hearing some of there stories of undergrad life.    Problem w/USF is that USF has been a predominant commuter school and most alums do not have a fond attraction to the campus.  Plus there are no old frat/soro house to go back to.  This is a function of time.

like ive said before, RJS is an amazing facility to play in, but USF will never be what it wants to be (which is a university with a true sense of an on campus community) without its OCS.. funding on the other hand may be another issue, but as i have brought up before, "if UCF can do it, why cant we?"

We could do it but "We" don't play in a dump.  "We" play in one of the top 3, arguably, football stadiums in the country.  The amusing thing about the current student obsession is if approved tomorrow, only 6 yr grad students would probably get to experience an OCS.  Now, with all that being written, I think an OCS would be great only if fiscally prudent & with a level of game watching comfort almost equal to RJS.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

USC does not have an "on campus" stadium, instead its located right across the street from the campus on city owned land. Pitt, however, has changed drastically since moving off campus, unless its a really big game the crowd is usually no more than 30,000 and not very into it (my grandfather went there, been to games many a times). Miami as we have expierenced is miles from campus, and unless they are in a big game is not a drastic environment. UCLA has trouble filling games these days and has talked about building their own stadium (it would be off campus, but they would own it).

I'm talking environment and future success. It has been said that "playing in an NFL stadium is major plus for recruits." Thats garbage, the team constantly has to move their equipment in order to occupy locker rooms. The only days they are allowed to use anything at RJS are the days we get to play there. Its not the ideal situation for a college football program to grow.

Trust me I know fiscally we cannot pay for it, and boosters aren't always the ones to pay for these upgrades,usually it comes from a combo of bowl money (we do get a share of BCS money), TV contracts (we get a share of), and fundraising.

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  562

USC does not have an "on campus" stadium, instead its located right across the street from the campus on city owned land. Pitt, however, has changed drastically since moving off campus, unless its a really big game the crowd is usually no more than 30,000 and not very into it (my grandfather went there, been to games many a times). Miami as we have expierenced is miles from campus, and unless they are in a big game is not a drastic environment. UCLA has trouble filling games these days and has talked about building their own stadium (it would be off campus, but they would own it).

I'm talking environment and future success. It has been said that "playing in an NFL stadium is major plus for recruits." Thats garbage, the team constantly has to move their equipment in order to occupy locker rooms. The only days they are allowed to use anything at RJS are the days we get to play there. Its not the ideal situation for a college football program to grow.

Trust me I know fiscally we cannot pay for it, and boosters aren't always the ones to pay for these upgrades,usually it comes from a combo of bowl money (we do get a share of BCS money), TV contracts (we get a share of), and fundraising.

THANK YOU JOE.. for highlighting the deficiencies of an off campus stadium... USC's stadium is basically on campus, with it being literally across the street.  Like Miami, Pitt's gameday is pretty pathetic especially with a program of such a strong tradition-- why? STADIUM IS OFF CAMPUS.. its pretty sad if you ask me, with traditions like Miami and Pitt, and their crappy attendance and gameday experiences.

i too, think playing in an NFL stadium isnt as good as playing in your own stadium.. especially whenever you look up, you see a mural of a buccaneer in pewter and red and whenever you look down, you see "BUCCANEERS" in your endzone and a bucs flag in the middle of the field.. how impersonal is that?  and the end of the day, you're still in someone else's house.  i think people use the "wow, we play in an NFL caliber stadium" recruiting tool as a cover up to a lack of an on campus stadium

believe me, IF we HAD to have a stadium off campus, i'd want it be RJS.. but lets not get it twisted, this is by far NOT a first priority for a D1 BCS program.  at the end of the day, WE'RE STILL PLAYING IN SOMEONE ELSE'S STADIUM.  this whole money thing is just an excuse as well-- look at UCF, have they even made it too a WhoGivesADamn.com Bowl?  yet, they get their own stadium.  as much as people are UCF haters on this board, they'd be THRILLED to land an on campus stadium.  no one has yet to bring up a reason why UCF can afford a stadium and we cant.  TV contract?  what TV contract?  bowl game revenue?  what bowl game revenue?  alum donations?  please, most UCF alum dont even realize they got a team.. yet, they land the big deal and USF still lags behind, embracing, instead of shedding, its commuter school image  :'(

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

It has been said that "playing in an NFL stadium is major plus for recruits." Thats garbage, the team constantly has to move their equipment in order to occupy locker rooms. The only days they are allowed to use anything at RJS are the days we get to play there. Its not the ideal situation for a college football program to grow.

So when talking up RayJay to a potential recruit they say "You'll be playing in one of the premier NFL stadiums in the nation BUT we have to constantly move our equipment in order to occupy locker rooms and you won't get to go there except when you play" .......

You guys come up with the wackiest stuff.

believe me, IF we HAD to have a stadium off campus, i'd want it be RJS..

Good, then we're all in agreement,  :-X.

but lets not get it twisted, this is by far NOT a first priority for a D1 BCS program.

No, the first priority for a D1 BCS program is winning...... which has nothing to do with where your **** stadium is located,  :-X.

this whole money thing is just an excuse as well-- look at UCF, have they even made it too a WhoGivesADamn.com Bowl?  yet, they get their own stadium.  as much as people are UCF haters on this board, they'd be THRILLED to land an on campus stadium.  no one has yet to bring up a reason why UCF can afford a stadium and we cant.  TV contract?  what TV contract?  bowl game revenue?  what bowl game revenue?  alum donations?  please, most UCF alum dont even realize they got a team.. yet, they land the big deal and USF still lags behind, embracing, instead of shedding, its commuter school image

:-X   :-X   :-X   :-X   :-X   :-X   :-X   :-X

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  562

You guys come up with the wackiest stuff.

no, the wackiest stuff is taking a recruit to USF, packing his ass in a car and driving 15 minutes away (hoping he has amnesia those 15 minutes and doesnt realize he's going OFF campus to another location), and bringing him to a stadium and claiming that the stadium "is YOUR home stadium", although its tatooed with buccaneer red and pewter.  now THAT is one wacky "home" stadium, alright..

notice how no one has yet commented on the fact that USF uses the "we cant afford a stadium" excuse as UCF signs a stadium deal with the same revenue uphill climb-- regardless if its got seatbacks for all your 40 year old geriatric asses  if they can do it, why cant we?

• Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

no, the wackiest stuff is taking a recruit to USF, packing his ass in a car and driving 15 minutes away (hoping he has amnesia those 15 minutes and doesnt realize he's going OFF campus to another location), and bringing him to a stadium and claiming that the stadium "is YOUR home stadium", although its tatooed with buccaneer red and pewter.  now THAT is one wacky "home" stadium, alright..

notice how no one has yet commented on the fact that USF uses the "we cant afford a stadium" excuse as UCF signs a stadium deal with the same revenue uphill climb-- regardless if its got seatbacks for all your 40 year old geriatric asses  if they can do it, why cant we?

UCF hasnt done it yet and they havent done it without going broke yet. Heck they are betting the farm paying the staff what they are paying them now they are going to come up with more money for a stadium? More power to them. But they have already put that program on the brink of financial disaster in the past by highiring a high paid coach and banking on attendance.

They are banking on like 40K in attendance in their new stadium but they barely drew 20k for their last game.

There is a reason we have passed them by. Smart decision making.

I'm sure that playing at RayJay has been a huge deterrent in the recruiting process........   ::)

As 'tation pointed out, they HAVEN'T done it yet and if they do, there was, supposedly, a $10 million donation given to start the ball rolling. Plus you have been given more than enough other rational reasons why an on-campus stadium is not doable NOW or the foreseeable future.

Honestly, though, why don't you get your buddies and start lobbying for them to enclose the soccer stadium. All you seem to care about is enough seats for the drunken students to crawl over to from their dorms. Hell, they could save money by not even putting in bench seats because you all will be standing the whole time anyway. Just set up scaffolding. You could probably get it done for 2 or 3 hundred thousand dollars TOPS. Considering the cost of gas these days, we'd make that up in no time by not having to drive the potential recruits alllllllllll the way down to RayJay.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  880

UCF hasnt done it yet and they havent done it without going broke yet. Heck they are betting the farm paying the staff what they are paying them now they are going to come up with more money for a stadium? More power to them. But they have already put that program on the brink of financial disaster in the past by highiring a high paid coach and banking on attendance.

They are banking on like 40K in attendance in their new stadium but they barely drew 20k for their last game.

There is a reason we have passed them by. Smart decision making.

you hit the nail right on the head.  let's see where UCF is five years after their "stadium" is built.  I'm guessing that they're going to be on the brink of bankrupting their athletic department yet again.  I just don't see how they're going to get enough people in the stands to offset the cost, unless they turn the stadium into a freaking tuna can.  

Bottom line is that I, and probably most of the regulars here are all for an OCS.  It must be done at the right time and for the right reasons (not solely for drunkards to stumble their way from the dorm to the stadium).  RJS has set a very high standard, and to take a step back just to say we have an OCS would be a HUGE step in the wrong direction.

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Oh, yes, let's follow UCF's lead and put the entire athletic program into hock so we can have the cheapest possible version of an on campus stadium that resembles an erector set.  That way, all the drunk fratboys who feel that their college experience isn't quite complete unless they get to hop over a wall and jump up and down on grass after completing the arduous task of WATCHING A FREAKING FOOTBALL GAME FOR THREE HOURS can feel that warm and cozy feeling inside.

If you can't watch a good football game, enjoy it, and go home satisfied afterwards... even if it means you didn't get to hop your drunk ass up and down like a two-year-old... you've got issues.

Do yourselves a favor and follow the lead of those Penn State fans.  As Mr. Sanders once told his son Barry, "Act like you've been there before."