• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Stadium on Campus

Guest Ken

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,893
  • Content Count:  66,048
  • Days Won:  172

i wouldn't want a stadium inferior  to the swamp or doak so i say wait and save until you can build ht ebest in the state

in the meantime play in the best nfl stadium

i would think the players would like it

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517
  • Days Won:  0

That's not nice.

I don't do 'nice' .......... and why are you here??

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

actually, miami does need a stadium on campus--

Why do they NEED a stadium on campus?

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

I get so tired of some board newbie getting on here every other month talking about how we need a stadium.  I honestly believe that we have way too many fans that simply do not understand the overall financial budget our program is operating under, where we have cash flows coming and going, what the overall needs of athletics as a whole are, or that understand the financial viability of a stadium.

Maybe we need to post a primer at the top so that these newbies can learn before they get on here discussing things they have no knowledge of.

Rentschler Field is not owned by the University of Connecticut -- and is not located on campus.  Hartford is about 30 miles or so from Storrs... So that is not a good comparison.

It also seats 45,000 people.

Cee...

I believe everyone here would LOVE an on-campus stadium.  The question becomes "at what cost" ??

First, USF has decided -- whether you agree or not is quite irrelevant -- that there are needs in other sports.  When you compare USF's facilities to the other Big East teams, we fall short in a lot of areas.  USF has started a $54 million campaign to make significant improvements to soccer fields, the baseball stadium, the softball stadium, and renovations to the Sun Dome.

Second, USF does not have a location on campus for a stadium.  Sure, you could argue where YOU would put it. But if you look at the USF Master Plan, there is no on-campus stadium on the map.

As to the cost, let me make it quite simple:

If USF built a stadium the size of U Conn (45,000) it would cost around $100 million. (Forget that 45,000 might be too small for USF).

- $100 million stadium = $700,000 per MONTH or $8.4 million per YEAR in debt service.

- $8.4 million per year would be around $187 per year per seat.

- $187 per year per seat would be more than $31 per ticket for the six home football games per year.

Would you be willing to pay $31 more per ticket just to attend a game on campus??

(Concession and parking revenue would cover the cost of operating the stadium... advertising and naming rights would go to the athletic department's operating budget, which is still way to small for the Big East)

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  880

i never said anything of the sort.. i'm citing UCF as an example that we CAN do it, it is possible, and its not impossible like most people say it is.. money is not an excuse, because the return outweighs the investment "if they can do it, so can we"

actually, miami does need a stadium on campus-- however, if you've ever been to UM, there is no room on their campus (unlike USF's, which has large tracts of empty land all over the place).. and on top of that, its in coral gables, a neighborhood which the residents would veto that crap faster than a devin hester return INT of pat julmiste for a TD... besides, its a different situation wiht the O.B. because, despite the fact that the stadium is a complete dump and that the city would LOVE to tear that hole down, there is too much sentimental value with so many legendary games in there.. believe me, if it werent for that, that stadium would have been long gone by now.. USF is not in that situation, and playing in someone else's house (bucs) wont last forever.. it better be sooner than later, otherwise USF wont be packing its house any time soon with an offcampus stadium, and USF will keep distancing itself from the "non-commuter" image its trying to become

Nice try.  Money is an excuse.  Like was mentioned before, we DESPERATELY need to upgrade our other athletic facilities.  Baseball, soccer, and softball have wallowed in mediocre facilities for years.  It is time to take care of them.  Once that is finished, then MAYBE the topic can be revisited.  Again, as was previously mentioned, the DEBT SERVICE for an OCS would prove to be the undoing of the entire athletic program at this stage.  All the football money would go to cover the cost of the stadium, that's it.  We don't have deep enough pockets, YET, to fund the stadium and keep the other sports alive and well.  I'll also second the point, NO BLEACHERS!!!  I'm an alum whose paid my money to have club access seats.  I'm not going to pony up that type of money to sit on bleachers.  No way, no how.  I'll finish by saying this.  Let's see what type of facility UCF builds, and how it affects the rest of their athletics.  I've got a feeling that they are going to put themselves well into the hole like they did in the 80's.  This time they may not make their way out.  

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  274

I agree that the OCS is way down the road...as nice as it might be...I can't wait till the day when we have a stadium...

but for now lets continue to support TSA and buy lots of stuff at their consession stands!!!  I love watching Bucs games and thinking of the game the night before...esp if we win big!

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,730
  • Days Won:  3

I'll also second the point, NO BLEACHERS!!!  I'm an alum whose paid my money to have club access seats.  I'm not going to pony up that type of money to sit on bleachers.

And therein lies the rub. It's not just grading a football field and tacking up some bleachers. This thing has to be on equal footing with the quality and level of expectation as was evidenced by the approach to the athletic facility. What ever passes for state-of-the-art, that's what would have to be built.

And this "return outweighs the investment" line of thinking..that's apples and oranges. 'Feel good' does not offset debt service.

• Topic Count:  479
  • Content Count:  1,991

If you guys can find someone to pony up $100-150 mil for a football stadium, I'm sure USF would oblige.

I have mentioned that to LRS before, he said if someone indeed does pony up the money construction plans would be on his desk the following day

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,730
  • Days Won:  3

I have mentioned that to LRS before, he said if someone indeed does pony up the money construction plans would be on his desk the following day

There. That settles it. When the boss says it's all about the funding...surprise! It is all about the funding!

So if you want to fantacize about some plot of land or shopping mall that could be miracled into a pseudo-OCS, have at it. And remember...every post you make is good keyboarding experience.... 8)