• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why did the offense suck?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,685
  • Days Won:  8

And why can’t we run the ball? 

Going from 2,000 rushing yards to what we saw tonight is surprising. 

If our receivers can’t catch, and we can’t run, we can’t even pass mid field. 

It seemed Barnett had time he needed for the most part. 

Was it just the rain or what? 

Not being able to run was my biggest disappointment. 

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  484
  • Days Won:  1

Offense sucked because this is an offense 100% based on timing. It's going to take time for the offense to start firing, and Kerwin alluded to that in his recent interviews. No doubt he was trying to lower expectations. If the offense isn't at least competent by the conference opener, then we have serious cause for concern. 

Edited by Vivadiscordia
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  215
  • Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

The offensive scheme does not suck. What sucked was the offense lost my confidence in each other.  People dropped passes and missed blocks, it happens every game the key is how they react and needless to say it was poorly. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

Some of this is on Bell. We had months to prepare...and this Is is what the offense looks like.

Last years offense puts up 17 points atleast..and that helps defense tremendously. 

Let's see which offense does better next game.  One changing from a option to conventional or one with a new OC. 

I'm thinking all are fired end of season likely.  Go after a younger up and coming OC from division 1. 

Edited by Bulls On Parade

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

We just didn't football yesterday.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Let's see how things play out in the next couple of games.

Too early make a judgement, but the offense looked very slow to develop on all plays.  

It is the first game of the season, there should have been a few easy short throws to get things rolling.  The two drops were both kind of deep.  The first completion to Philips was not an easy throw either.  No reason to have to throw the ball from the right hash to the left side line. That's about a 40 yard throw to gain 10 yards. 

What happened to get the ball in the hands of the playmakers. No throw to the flats.  No 6-8 yard hitches, no off tackle runs, no bubble screens, no jet sweeps.  That was all downfield throwing last night. 

Didn't work because the offense relied on the OL to block for too long.  I am not sure that is going to work.

My concern is that Bell has been a D2 coach his entire career. I don't care he played in the NFL.  He has never had to call plays or adjust against D1 level defensive minds. If he was such an offensive genius i am sure it would not have taken 25 years to become a D1 coordinator.

Let's see where we are after 3 or 4 games. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,680
  • Days Won:  108

1 hour ago, Bulls On Parade said:

Some of this is on Bell. We had months to prepare...and this Is is what the offense looks like.

Last years offense puts up 17 points atleast..and that helps defense tremendously. 

Let's see which offense does better next game.  One changing from a option to conventional or one with a new OC. 

I'm thinking all are fired end of season likely.  Go after a younger up and coming OC from division 1. 

Many on here are saying GT will suck because they have a new offense.  I've said it earlier, this is a new offense for us as well.  I'm not saying I liked what I saw last night but we really need to give the offense some time.  In that regard, as it looks like we're playing for the future, I wouldn't be against playing the backup this season and let BB go to his next team before he plays 4 games here. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,023
  • Days Won:  38

1 hour ago, usfgrad84 said:

What happened to get the ball in the hands of the playmakers. No throw to the flats.  No 6-8 yard hitches, no off tackle runs, no bubble screens, no jet sweeps.  That was all downfield throwing last night

I was wondering this myself.  I was hoping for some of this.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  0

We scored zero points. Let’s face it Blake Barnett is a bust. His indecisiveness and long hutch in his throw screws up timing routes.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,345
  • Days Won:  10

Yeah, I was sure the game would include plenty of quick slants to Wilcox and tunnel screens to Ford because BB wouldn't have time for his progression.  I sure can't make a living out of this.