• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What we have lost as a fan base

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2,332
  • Content Count:  21,305
  • Days Won:  10

5 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Does every thread have to break down to this discussion?  Can't we talk about an OCS?

In door practice facility first.

• Like 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,680
  • Days Won:  108

11 minutes ago, Rizman said:

In door practice facility first.

Publix Subs

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

13 minutes ago, Rizman said:

Maybe the coaches should use this as a training game.  Focus on the areas that this team does that is similar to what we will face in conference teams. 

Looking at some of the other teams in the past that have won the conference, the UConns, Cincy's, UCFs of the past, stumbles against OOC while at least being competitive would be fine with me if that meant we win the conference at 7-1 or 8-0 (and win the champ game). Worst we could do is 1-3 OOC (we'll beat SC State), and a conference trophy and any additional OOC wins is icing.

Guest Jonesy Bull
48 minutes ago, Danm1983 said:

Looking at some of the other teams in the past that have won the conference, the UConns, Cincy's, UCFs of the past, stumbles against OOC while at least being competitive would be fine with me if that meant we win the conference at 7-1 or 8-0 (and win the champ game). Worst we could do is 1-3 OOC (we'll beat SC State), and a conference trophy and any additional OOC wins is icing.

I would be disappointed if we went 1-3 OOC.   

If we win the conference but only beat SC State, then it further shows the rest of the country that we don't deserve anything more than what we are.

• Topic Count:  2,332
  • Content Count:  21,305
  • Days Won:  10

55 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Publix Subs

They will be sold their since Publix will be branding that facility with their name. :thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

4 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

I would be disappointed if we went 1-3 OOC.   

If we win the conference but only beat SC State, then it further shows the rest of the country that we don't deserve anything more than what we are.

If we are 1-3 OOC I don't think we have any chance of winning the AAC. We have at least two teams, possibly 3 in conference that should be better than GT and BYU.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

1 minute ago, BullyPulpit said:

If we are 1-3 OOC I don't think we have any chance of winning the AAC. We have at least two teams, possibly 3 in conference that should be better than GT and BYU.

Because never does anyone beat a harder team and lose to an easier one especially when that "better" is probably marginal (if it exists) and subjective. We have a long history to draw upon of beating our toughest opponent while losing to one seen not quite as tough.

14 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Because never does anyone beat a harder team and lose to an easier one especially when that "better" is probably marginal (if it exists) and subjective. We have a long history to draw upon of beating our toughest opponent while losing to one seen not quite as tough.

Could we have an 8-4 season like UCONN did and win the conference? Sure, we could. I simply said that I don't think we have a chance of winning the AAC if we go 1-3 OOC. Could we, sure, anything could happen. But Cincy, Memphis, and UCF should all be very tough games. SMU is not a cakewalk and neither is Temple. There are a lot of variables that could change over the course of the season, but I wouldn't be willing to bet on USF to win much of anything this year if we find ourselves 1-3 OOC. I would venture to guess that a 4-8 season would be the most likely outcome in that scenario. I think 2-2 needs to be the OOC floor for us. I think you would probably agree with that as well. 

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

Just now, BullyPulpit said:

Could we have an 8-4 season like UCONN did and win the conference? Sure, we could. I simply said that I don't think we have a chance of winning the AAC if we go 1-3 OOC. Could we, sure, anything could happen. But Cincy, Memphis, and UCF should all be very tough games. SMU is not a cakewalk and neither is Temple. There are a lot of variables that could change over the course of the season, but I wouldn't be willing to bet on USF to win much of anything this year if we find ourselves 1-3 OOC. I would venture to guess that a 4-8 season would be the most likely outcome in that scenario. I think 2-2 needs to be the OOC floor for us. I think you would probably agree with that as well. 

I think the floor needs to be 4-0. If we lose to Wisconsin, GTech, or BYU the entire season will be discounted and there is a pretty good chance another G5 team will be close enough to undefeated that we will be playing in one of the AAC Bowl games that we are just as likely to end up in by not winning the conference. I guess if we lost to Wisconsin in week one and they went on to a strong Big Ten performance it may not be the end of the world for our season, but for the most part the bar for G5 programs has been set at pretty close to perfect. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, puc86 said:

I think the floor needs to be 4-0. If we lose to Wisconsin, GTech, or BYU the entire season will be discounted and there is a pretty good chance another G5 team will be close enough to undefeated that we will be playing in one of the AAC Bowl games that we are just as likely to end up in by not winning the conference. I guess if we lost to Wisconsin in week one and they went on to a strong Big Ten performance it may not be the end of the world for our season, but for the most part the bar for G5 programs has been set at pretty close to perfect. 

I was referencing more or less the original point, which was winning the AAC. I know how little that means to you in your calculus of what makes a successful season, but that is the point I was arguing. I would love to see a 4-0 OOC and Wisconsin figure stuff out and go on to win the rest of its games. However, 3-1 OOC is still a pretty darn good result (BYU is not going to be a push over) and if we can go 3-1 against the OOC slate that makes an undefeated run through AAC play at least a possibility.