• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Out on a limb against Wisconsin

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

7 hours ago, Calibull said:

Rutgers was terrible last year. and they looked average against them

I don’t think we beat Wisconsin but they are not the ‘85 Bears...they are beatable. It will be a much closer game than some on this board think it will be. 

1 hour ago, USFRaider said:

If we play like we did against UConn last year, they win by more than three TDs.

It’s quiet possible that even Uconn could have beaten Rutgers last year. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,919
  • Days Won:  67

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I don’t think we beat Wisconsin but they are not the ‘85 Bears...they are beatable. It will be a much closer game than some on this board think it will be. 

Even the 85 Bears lost thanks to a tipped TD pass and a great Marino performance on a humid Monday night in Miami.  I think all of us with the exception of Raider believe we have a chance.  We are just trying to figure out how a team that was gashed by the likes of Tulane, UConn etc...is going to keep UW under 300 yards rushing.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

2 hours ago, USFRaider said:

If we play like we did against (Fill in the blank) last year, they win by more than three TDs.

Maybe Illinois is the exception, but who knows.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

2 hours ago, Friscobull said:

Even the 85 Bears lost thanks to a tipped TD pass and a great Marino performance on a humid Monday night in Miami.  I think all of us with the exception of Raider believe we have a chance.  We are just trying to figure out how a team that was gashed by the likes of Tulane, UConn etc...is going to keep UW under 300 yards rushing.

Nbody is trying to figure that out.  It is blatantly obvious.  We rolled with two true soph DT and very little starting experience on the Dline and we were undersized inside.  We had no depth, our rotation on the inside of the line consisted of Primarily soph and true freshman, we had to move our best pass rushing DE to MLB and substituted him with a guy that underperformed their entire career at USF (Vincent Jackson), the other LB alongside our DE was 5'11 195 at best and couldn't defend the inside run (McGee), we relied on true freshmen at LB who weren't ready  because we literally had no quality depth...  Hoggins was undersized at the Nickle, and our senior safety (J Thomas) was terrible at run support and had to be replaced with another freshman (Davis)...  I mean everyone knows why.  We're not in that position this year.  People are acting like this will be the same defense as last season don't know much about football.  I mean there were glaring issues last season on defense. 

Edited by Calibull
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

The article said our D line average is 273.25#. I'm assuming that's last year? And this year we'll be closer to 300#?

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

8 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

The article said our D line average is 273.25#. I'm assuming that's last year? And this year we'll be closer to 300#?

Yup... that was last season.  Just looking at the spring weights tells you that's from last season.  Reaves is up to 253, Pickney is up to 6'3 300, Kegler is up to 290 at 6'2, and Livingstone is up to  275 at 6'4 so the average is/was around 280 in the spring.  Also on the inside you have in the rotation Waller who is down to 320 (6'4 320 DT... love it!) and now with Armon Williams ready at 6'3 316... we're in a completely different place this season DLine wise. It's funny because those both Waller and Williams were heavily recruited by Big 10 schools  Michigan and Wisconsin.  Food for thought.  

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,919
  • Days Won:  67

47 minutes ago, Calibull said:

Nbody is trying to figure that out.  It is blatantly obvious.  We rolled with two true soph DT and very little starting experience on the Dline and we were undersized inside.  We had no depth, our rotation on the inside of the line consisted of Primarily soph and true freshman, we had to move our best pass rushing DE to MLB and substituted him with a guy that underperformed their entire career at USF (Vincent Jackson), the other LB alongside our DE was 5'11 195 at best and couldn't defend the inside run (McGee), we relied on true freshmen at LB who weren't ready  because we literally had no quality depth...  Hoggins was undersized at the Nickle, and our senior safety (J Thomas) was terrible at run support and had to be replaced with another freshman (Davis)...  I mean everyone knows why.  We're not in that position this year.  People are acting like this will be the same defense as last season don't know much about football.  I mean there were glaring issues last season on defense. 

Thanks captain obvious on the Defensive assessment who would have known playing a safety and an end along with a couple true freshman at LB was not going to work out.  People are in love with Waller however the coaches weren’t even sure which side of the ball he was going to line up in the spring so I will temper my enthusiasm about him.  Sawtelle’s health is in question, Boyles and Grier were completely overmatched in the run due to inexperience and poor D line play.  Not sure they are ready to take on an nfl back and a giant line unless our D line does a complete 180 from last year.  I have been saying this is a different team however still many of the same faces and lots of question marks is all I am saying.  

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I thought Sawtelle was done with football due to injuries? Is it still up in the air?

1 minute ago, JTrue said:

I thought Sawtelle was done with football due to injuries? Is it still up in the air?

I have heard that it’s 50/50 he will be ready for Aug practice. I am starting to think he may be done...