• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Out on a limb against Wisconsin

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,519
  • Days Won:  28

I feel Wisconsin will greatly underestimate us based on our last year stats. 

Four Phil Steele Facts: USF Bulls

Numbers never lie. What do they tell us about USF?

By Drew Hamm  Jul 3, 2019, 10:24am CDT

COLLEGE FOOTBALL: DEC 20 Gasparilla Bowl - Marshall v South FloridaPhoto by Mark LoMoglio/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Phil Steele puts out the best college football preview magazine every year. It’s not even a contest. In celebration of the 25th Anniversary of his first publication we at Bucky’s 5th Quarter are going to find four interesting facts about each team on Wisconsin’s schedule, including the Badgers, and break them down for you.

Phil, we love your magazine and we also love your mustache.

NUMBER 1: 6

The Bulls entered their game at Houston last year with a pristine 7-0 record and a national ranking of 21st. They lost to the Cougars by 21 and, uh, haven’t won a game since. That’s six straight losses for Charlie Strong’s lads, all to bowl eligible teams, and lead to a complete staff restructuring. Have they wiped the bad taste from last year out of their mouth? If the Badgers can score early they might get USF to say

maxresdefault.jpg

NUMBER 2: 248

USF allowed opposing teams to rush for 248 yards per game last season. Due to injuries one of their starting defensive ends, Greg Reaves, had to move to linebacker, and he’s now back on the line, but the fact that they return a bulk of the unit that was the first line of defense against the run seems positive for the Badgers.

NUMBER 3: 273.25

That is the average weight of the USF defensive line. The average weight for the Wisconsin offensive line is 311.4. The Badgers may just have to lean on USF for two and a half quarters and then Jonathan Taylor and co. will be gashing them for eight, nine, ten yards a pop. Winning in the trenches is always a Wisconsin goal, but against a much smaller line...dominating should be what they do. (click on the link for the rest of the story)

https://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2019/7/3/20680535/four-phil-steele-facts-usf-bulls-blake-barnett-greg-reaves-charlie-strong-johnny-ford

Guest Jonesy Bull

Yeah this is my biggest fear is their offensive line and running game.....Even with some improvement on the defensive side of the ball, that is going to be difficult for us to deal with.  Especially if they get a lead and start controlling the clock.

This is a pretty tough Big Ten school.....this ain't Illinois, yall.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,704
  • Days Won:  6

0-1 to start the season, 7-5 overall in the regular season is what I am predicting as of July 5th.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,853
  • Days Won:  67

7 minutes ago, USFRaider said:

0-1 to start the season, 7-5 overall in the regular season is what I am predicting as of July 5th.

Not sure any of us believe they can stop the run on UW,  especially based on last year.  Hoping for a fortuitous bounce or two.  Who knows, bunch of kids, new offense coordinator, little more experience, gotta believe.  

Here are my predictions as of July 5th

Wisconsin-L

Georgia Tech L

SC State- W

SMU-W

BYU-W

Navy-L

East Carolina-W

Temple-W

Cincinnati-L

Memphis-W

ucf- L

• Downvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

20 minutes ago, USFRaider said:

Here are my predictions as of July 5th

Wisconsin-L

Georgia Tech L

SC State- W

SMU-W

BYU-W

Navy-L

East Carolina-W

Temple-W

Cincinnati-L

Memphis-W

ucf- L

That looks pretty good...Tech could go either way and I don’t see how we lose to Navy...I think life in a conference is starting to catch up to those guys. 

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

6 hours ago, Friscobull said:

Not sure any of us believe they can stop the run on UW,  especially based on last year.  Hoping for a fortuitous bounce or two.  Who knows, bunch of kids, new offense coordinator, little more experience, gotta believe.  

Wisconsin's wins from last year, and the opponents end of season record:

34-3 Western Kentucky (6-7)

45-14 New Mexico (3-9)

28-17 @ Iowa (9-4)

41-24 Nebraska (4-8)

49-20 Illinois (4-8)

31-17 Rutgers (1-11)

47-44 @ Purdue 3OT (6-7)

35-3 Miami (7-6)

Losses:

24-21 BYU (7-6)

38-13 @Michigan (10-3)

31-13 @Northwestern (8-5)

22-10 @ Penn State (9-4)

37-15 Minnesota (7-6)

Not sure Wisky was a whole lot better than GT last year, and that great OL & running game was unable to get them W's against a few mediocre teams last year. Granted, we were really bad to end the season, I get the feeling we could be one of the most improved teams in the AAC this year. Should be much improved on Defense. Offense could be better too, assuming the OL has improved. Wisconsin wasn't great on the road last year. A win here isn't out of reach.

Edited by USFBulls727
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, USFBulls727 said:

Wisconsin's wins from last year, and the opponents end of season record:

34-3 Western Kentucky (6-7)

45-14 New Mexico (3-9)

28-17 @ Iowa (9-4)

41-24 Nebraska (4-8)

49-20 Illinois (4-8)

31-17 Rutgers (1-11)

47-44 @ Purdue 3OT (6-7)

35-3 Miami (7-6)

Losses:

24-21 BYU (7-6)

38-13 @Michigan (10-3)

31-13 @Northwestern (8-5)

22-10 @ Penn State (9-4)

37-15 Minnesota (7-6)

Not sure Wisky was a whole lot better than GT last year, and that great OL & running game was unable to get them W's against a few mediocre teams last year. Granted, we were really bad to end the season, I get the feeling we could be one of the most improved teams in the AAC this year. Should be much improved on Defense. Offense could be better too, assuming the OL has improved. Wisconsin wasn't great on the road last year. A win here isn't out of reach.

If they play like they did against Rutgers last year we win by three TDs. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Rutgers was terrible last year. and they looked average against them

Edited by Calibull

8 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

If we play like we did against UConn last year, they win by more than three TDs.