• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Strong Ain’t Going No Where

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,294
  • Days Won:  0

9 minutes ago, usfgrad84 said:

In college football I don’t believe in the “needs his guy” argument. 

Other schools lost guys to the NFL and they continue to get better. 

McCants, Wilcox, Cronkrite are not good enough football players to create a decent offense?

Which players do you bring in that stops all the special teams disasters?

so you add 20 pounds to each OL what does that do for you? It becomes 2nd and 7 rather than 2nd and 8 when you run your 165lb back between the tackles?  You still aren’t spreading the field to get the ball in playmakers’ hands. 

Comes down to a change in philosophy not personnel in any phase of the game. 

Also starts at the top by creating a winning philosophy. Not a hope to win philosophy. 

100% agree. I said this in another thread to Brad and it’s complete coachspeak horsecrap.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

A couple of weeks ago I made a statement that the guys that Strong played with last year were undersized and underclassmen when Taggart started winning with them. He just made up his mind to find a way to get the most of those players. 

I would argue that Adams and Scantling dropped more downfield passes than our current crop, but Taggart found ways to create space for them to run.  

Hoggins, Mcgee and Thomas played a significant amount of time as Freshmen and Sophs on Taggart’s winning teams.  

Maybe this was not going to be a conference championship year, but there are enough athletes and experienced players to find ways to get better trsults than we have seen this year. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

6 hours ago, Bull Dozer said:

Because every coach needs their guys to truly run their system and there's a ton of guys getting ojt right now. Alot of those same guys are in spots where we are inconsistent and problem areas. A lot of that is youth. If he can't win with his guys he's outta here. 

His system SUCKS.  And, Barnett is his QB, and he has 2 years of recruits.  I think he does have young talent, but he's going to vanquish it if he keeps running this garbage.

6 hours ago, usf97 said:

I would normally think CCS is safe in this situation but I question that due to the low buyout and the new AD Kelly.

Kelly has no loyalty to CCS. Not his hire. I wouldn’t be surprised if Kelly would want to be graded on his own hire.

Agree with this. Sort of an interesting situation for Kelly to be in. Because Strong’s salary escalates so drastically, bringing the staff back serves as an endorsement of Strong by Kelly. He owns the hire at that point. 

6 hours ago, Bull Dozer said:

Because every coach needs their guys to truly run their system and there's a ton of guys getting ojt right now. Alot of those same guys are in spots where we are inconsistent and problem areas. A lot of that is youth. If he can't win with his guys he's outta here. 

Yeah, remind me which are Heupel’s guys on UCF. 

Just being a wise ass. Lol

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

Knight won't rank us because he doesn't respect our wins.

Knight ways we'd be a laughing stock for firing a guy with a bunch of wins he doesn't respect.

Knight has his cake and eats it too.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

6 hours ago, usfgrad84 said:

Maybe this was not going to be a conference championship year, but there are enough athletes and experienced players to find ways to get better trsults than we have seen this year. 

I was expecting a few losses, but also expected to see our team improve each week. Most of the time we look like we have gotten worse. The coaching staff sets us up to fail. 

• Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

5 hours ago, usfgrad84 said:

Agree with this. Sort of an interesting situation for Kelly to be in. Because Strong’s salary escalates so drastically, bringing the staff back serves as an endorsement of Strong by Kelly. He owns the hire at that point. 

The huge increase is one of the main reasons he should be shown the door. You could get these results or better with almost any coach. He only wins games against inferior competition. I think you could replace him with a younger and more aggressive coach for far less money. We need a coach who will spread the field and run an offense similar to what we had with xcwt or what ucf runs. 

If the problems were just with one unit or one side of the ball I wouldn’t be concerned. But, there have been glaring issues on every unit, in just about every game. Not just this year, but last year.  That has to be a concern. 

• Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

Nobody has sold me on why he needs more time.  I get it we lost some players on defense and Flowers but like said the team looks worse now than at the start I dont see a team that is trending up but getting worse.

If we had lost the Houston game, then beaten Tulane, lost at Cincy and won vs Temple sure that is a sign the team is moving in a positive direction but 4 losses in a row and the offense getting worse is not a good sign. 

I say cut your ties while cheap and go after a young energetic offensive minded coach that will bring in an aggressive style of defense.  The only way I could sign off on Strong staying would be if he brings in an OC and lets him do what he wants and stays away from the offense heck even Gilbert with a wide open playbook could be the upgrade we need for all we know.

Edited by Bulls On Parade
  • Like 1