• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Strong Ain’t Going No Where

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Just now, Calibull said:

CWT wasn't hired after failing to have a winning season in 3 years... but Coach Charlie Strong was.  Team is regressing... you can talk Taggart, whom I actually defended until he bailed, but that doesn't change the fact that Strong is not a good coach.  

I don't know if CCS can turn this around or not.  But he inherited a ****-show in Texas and several boosters didn't want him to begin with.  He was set up for failure from the beginning.

Simply put, a school can not fire a coach, especially a winning coach, after one mediocre season.  You'd never get a decent coach to come here.  Cue the, "some hot coordinator would love to get the pay raise."  That might be true, but given the option of getting a pay raise at a school that gives a coach a real chance and one that would fire them at the first sign of trouble, where do you think they'd go?

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Just now, Calibull said:

lol... Actually he did! It was against UCLA.  I was at that game.  lmao  UCLA won the coin toss and asked to defer... then Texas deferred/elected to kick off.   Was the craziest thing

there were so many red flags and yet somehow many thought this was a good hire.

he lost to freakin kansas in his 3rd year. that was the first time kansas had beaten texas since 1938.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

4 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

A large number of people on here wanted him fired, just like a large number want CCS fired.  It seems to many that two years is plenty to determine if a head coach is good enough or not.

The trajectory was going in the other direction though.  Taggart went 2-10, then 4-8, then 8-5... so  during that second year you saw actual improvement... we started off 1-4 but he wouldn't have gotten fired until the end of the season.  But he was getting better and you could see it, he adapted and changed.  Strong is getting  worse and not adapting and changing.  He wouldn't even change that garbage offense to fit Flowers skills.  So I think 2 years is more than enough given he came off of three losing seasons at Texas.  He's the college Steve Fisher. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

4 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

I don't know if CCS can turn this around or not.  But he inherited a ****-show in Texas and several boosters didn't want him to begin with.  He was set up for failure from the beginning.

Simply put, a school can not fire a coach, especially a winning coach, after one mediocre season.  You'd never get a decent coach to come here.  Cue the, "some hot coordinator would love to get the pay raise."  That might be true, but given the option of getting a pay raise at a school that gives a coach a real chance and one that would fire them at the first sign of trouble, where do you think they'd go?

he inherited a team that was 8-5 the year before. mack brown had a winning record in 15 of 16 seasons including a national championship.

the ****show was of his own doing. He kicked off 9 players and suspended 2 more before the season started for smoking pot. they weren't hardened felons. just college kids.

they didn't have a winning season in 3 years under strong.

Edited by Bull94

1 minute ago, Bull94 said:

there were so many red flags and yet somehow many thought this was a good hire.

he lost to freakin kansas in his 3rd year. that was the first time kansas had beaten texas since 1938.

I wanted it to work... but you know...  when you see a train running coming down the track, you can elect cut your loses and step off and let it pass... or you can sit there and let it hit you smack in the face.  I feel like Harlan stayed on the track and hoped the train could/would/wanted to stop... and just when it got just close enough, he jumped off and pushed Kelly in front of the train.  lol

2 minutes ago, Calibull said:

The trajectory was going in the other direction though.  Taggart went 2-10, then 4-8, then 8-5... so  during that second year you saw actual improvement... we started off 1-4 but he wouldn't have gotten fired until the end of the season.  But he was getting better and you could see it, he adapted and changed.  Strong is getting  worse and not adapting and changing.  He wouldn't even change that garbage offense to fit Flowers skills.  So I think 2 years is more than enough given he came off of three losing seasons at Texas.  He's the college Steve Fisher. 

That didn't stop a lot of people saying that he needed to be fired at that time.

5 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

Or maybe the boosters that didn't want him were right.  He is not a good coach.  Also Texas wasn't that big of a **** show and he still went 3 years without a winning season. He didn't have a .500 season in three years.  let that sink in.

2 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

That didn't stop a lot of people saying that he needed to be fired at that time.

So? has nothing to do with Strong.  I mean you keep brining up Taggart... people were screaming for Holtz to be fired too... what are you trying to get at?

I mean I could have gone without a third year of Holtz...