• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Charlie Strong contract

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

6 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

But the fact that Flowers requested to Tags to trust him is important. If that request had not been made one could argue things would not have turned out as well. 

As a hockey fan, I consider Scotty Bowman's best coaching years to be the ones where he didn't have the players. Like his start in St. Louis, where he took mediocre players and got them to buy in to a system that worked for them and out perform the expectations.

Successful coaches get the most out of their players.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

18 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

As a hockey fan, I consider Scotty Bowman's best coaching years to be the ones where he didn't have the players. Like his start in St. Louis, where he took mediocre players and got them to buy in to a system that worked for them and out perform the expectations.

Successful coaches get the most out of their players.

That was early in his career too...before the run at Montreal in the 1970s. He did have the advantage of competing against expansion teams but I agree he had little.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

23 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

But the fact that Flowers requested to Tags to trust him is important. If that request had not been made one could argue things would not have turned out as well. 

so you're saying that the primary reason we were successful is because Flowers told Taggart to trust him?

not the offense Taggart designed?

Not the players he recruited? Flowers,  Mack, Rodney Adams, D'Ernest Johnson, Marques Valdes-Scantling, McCants, Wilcox, etc.

Not the game plans or play calls?

just the fact Flowers told him to trust him.........

1 minute ago, Bull94 said:

so you're saying that the primary reason we were successful is because Flowers told Taggart to trust him?

not the offense Taggart designed?

Not the players he recruited? Flowers,  Mack, Rodney Adams, D'Ernest Johnson, Marques Valdes-Scantling, McCants, Wilcox, etc.

Not the game plans or play calls?

just the fact Flowers told him to trust him.........

Not at all...but that offense that was so well designed may not have reached its peek without Flower’s intervention. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

5 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Not at all...but that offense that was so well designed may not have reached its peek without Flower’s intervention. 

please.... they were both new to the offense. they were in game 5. we had only played 1 conference game. it was our 2nd game against an ACC opponent and we had already played a big 10 team. they were kinks to work out. yes they had some big thing in the paper how Q told Taggart to trust him and then the offense exploded but they would have gotten there even without the talk.

anybody who doesn't give Taggart credit for turning around our program is blind. Yes it had to do with the quality players he recruited and yes it had to do with the offense he built around them.

34 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

please.... they were both new to the offense. they were in game 5. we had only played 1 conference game. it was our 2nd game against an ACC opponent and we had already played a big 10 team. they were kinks to work out. yes they had some big thing in the paper how Q told Taggart to trust him and then the offense exploded but they would have gotten there even without the talk.

anybody who doesn't give Taggart credit for turning around our program is blind. Yes it had to do with the quality players he recruited and yes it had to do with the offense he built around them.

I think Tags would have opened up the offense eventually (and I have never said he was a poor recruiter) but to think Q did not make that happen sooner is being naïve. 

21 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I think Tags would have opened up the offense eventually (and I have never said he was a poor recruiter) but to think Q did not make that happen sooner is being naïve. 

Tags is a lights out recruiter/salesman/motivator. Full credit for who he recruited.

Less credit for 2 years of that offense.

I'm just dubious about his ability with x's and o's and game management.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

6 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

Tags is a lights out recruiter/salesman/motivator. Full credit for who he recruited.

Less credit for 2 years of that offense.

I'm just dubious about his ability with x's and o's and game management.

That's why the good coaches hire good coordinators. CCS's job is to control the coordinators. The coordinators jobs are to control the position coaches. We'll never fix the problems if we can't admit there are problems. CCS has got to change before anything else will.

I will say that one of the most glaring problems we have on defense is tackling technique. The technique and angles to the ball are horrible.

1 minute ago, BDYZR said:

That's why the good coaches hire good coordinators. CCS's job is to control the coordinators. The coordinators jobs are to control the position coaches. We'll never fix the problems if we can't admit there are problems. CCS has got to change before anything else will.

I will say that one of the most glaring problems we have on defense is tackling technique. The technique and angles to the ball are horrible.

Yup. If he can identify and allow great coordinators to thrive I think Taggart could be a phenomenal head coach. Recruiting great players and letting the coordinators manage the game. Not sure if his ego would allow that though.

If CCS can't see the problems on both sides of the ball we have a real problem. If he does and he thinks the current staff can fix them we still have a problem.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

1 hour ago, Bull94 said:

I think you're giving Taggart way too much credit and the story has changed it seems since he was at FSU.  This is how it was initially told while he was still at USF and it was Tice and Johnson who went to Taggart.  He was still wanting to run... and run... and run... and have Q play like a robot.  We were also 1-4 and loss to a pathetic Maryland team that fired their coach that season... and we didn't just get spanked... we got our @sses handed to us.  He was literally about to get fired and his players literally and figuratively saved him.  He didn't decide anything, his players did.

"What transpired in the ensuing days has become part of Bulls lore. A few nights later, Taggart had his quarterbacks and running backs at his house for a Southern dinner of fried chicken, macaroni and cheese and other trimmings. 

Tailback Darius Tice, who played against Flowers while at Miami’s Northwestern High and had seen him at his most dynamic, recalls initiating the conversation. One of USF’s most extroverted characters, Tice tried getting his peers to loosen up. Then he turned to Flowers.

"We call Quinton Flowers ‘Wink,’ so I was like, ‘Man, you’ve got to play like you played in high school, just do what you want,’" Tice recalled earlier this week. "Everybody was laughing and I said some other things. I was like, ‘Man, go out there and have fun. … You scared, man, do what you want.’ ""

• Upvote 1