• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Charlie Strong contract

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

The only reason CWT is held in any regard is because he is our only coach that self selected his exit. Had he been fired in his first three seasons he would be viewed below CSH and had he still been here now he would be facing the exact same issues and backlash as CCS. That he smartly left during his one glory year does not somehow mean that he was an amazingly successful coach or that he would have continued the one year of success beyond last season at best. #cwtexposedparty.  

Why so much hatred to someone who got us 10 wins and had the salesmanship to bring potential nfl talent to a dumpster fire? But yeah he sucked. I would take him back if Florida St dumps him.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

4 minutes ago, Roaming Bull said:

Replace Q? I don’t think we had another BJ waiting in the wings, but maybe he could’ve done a better job developing BK or CO? Who knows maybe he would’ve recruited someone to take over in a year or two. Also he knew the team and perhaps the lack of depth behind a talented core was why he jumped ship when his stock was hot

You can’t teach a statue to run

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

The only reason CWT is held in any regard is because he is our only coach that self selected his exit. Had he been fired in his first three seasons he would be viewed below CSH and had he still been here now he would be facing the exact same issues and backlash as CCS. That he smartly left during his one glory year does not somehow mean that he was an amazingly successful coach or that he would have continued the one year of success beyond last season at best. #cwtexposedparty.  

going from 2-10 to 10-2 means he was an amazingly successful coach. or perhaps you have a different definition of successful than I do. I think he would have done just fine last year too. I also think this year we would have taken a step back but certainly not to the point where we barely beat UConn, Tulsa and ECU let alone get waxed at homecoming by Tulane.

1 minute ago, Bullrush33 said:

Why so much hatred to someone who got us 10 wins and had the salesmanship to bring potential nfl talent to a dumpster fire? But yeah he sucked. I would take him back if Florida St dumps him.

It’s not hate it’s the inconvenient truth and it’s a matter of when FSU will dump him so maybe we will get to see who is right. Spoiler alert... it’s me.

3 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

this program was an absolute mess when he got here. it's amazing what he was able to do. there are people on here that think the NFL talent he recruited would have shown up on their own and that they drew up their own plays in the dirt.

Edited by Bull94
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

going from 2-10 to 10-2 means he was an amazingly successful coach. or perhaps you have a different definition of successful than I do. I think he would have done just fine last year too. I also think this year we would have taken a step back but certainly not to the point where we barely beat UConn, Tulsa and ECU let alone get waxed at homecoming by Tulane.

If you look objectively at his record in life that 10-2 season seems to be an outlier. He appears to be an average coach that had one good season and one good season does not a good coach make. I think consistency in staff and approach would have left to his second good year last season (probably better than what we did) but I am of no delusion that he would have had a glimmer of success this season, we would be sub .500 and lamenting about how he lost the team. 

8 minutes ago, puc86 said:

If you look objectively at his record in life that 10-2 season seems to be an outlier. He appears to be an average coach that had one good season and one good season does not a good coach make. I think consistency in staff and approach would have left to his second good year last season (probably better than what we did) but I am of no delusion that he would have had a glimmer of success this season, we would be sub .500 and lamenting about how he lost the team. 

apparently you don't understand how college football works especially in a program like ours and  in the situation he walked into. you build up a college football (basketball, baseball, etc) program to have a run of success. Unless you are Alabama or Clemson, you will have ups and downs. He took over a program that was absolutely destroyed under Holtz and led us to our first 10 win season and final ranking. He left the roster in such good shape that  Charlie Strong was able to come in and win 10 games. that is not an outlier. that is called building a program for success. I can't believe people don't appreciate what he did for us.

There is no way he would be below .500 with this awful schedule.

Edited by Bull94
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Bull94 said:

apparently you don't understand how college football works especially in a program like ours and  in the situation he walked into. you build up a college football (basketball, baseball, etc) program to have a run of success. Unless you are Alabama or Clemson, you will have ups and downs. He took over a program that was absolutely destroyed under Holtz and led us to our first 10 win season and final ranking. He left the roster in such good shape that  Charlie Strong was able to come in and win 10 games. I can't believe people don't appreciate what he did for us.

There is no way he would be below .500 with this awful schedule.

We will have to agree to disagree as ultimately I feel in the long run you are what your record says you are where as you believe you are what your one successful season says you are. Most of his life has been sub .500 as well as his overall record. You have seen Kean and CO play and I think I’m being generous by expecting CWT to have coached them to his average record with in the Gulf Coast offense. The thought of either of them playing as Q is downright laughable and I would be shocked if either of them would have made it out of the season alive.

6 minutes ago, puc86 said:

We will have to agree to disagree as ultimately I feel in the long run you are what your record says you are where as you believe you are what your one successful season says you are. Most of his life has been sub .500 as well as his overall record. You have seen Kean and CO play and I think I’m being generous by expecting CWT to have coached them to his average record with in the Gulf Coast offense. The thought of either of them playing as Q is downright laughable and I would be shocked if either of them would have made it out of the season alive.

and you don't understand context as anywhere he has coached has been a rebuilding job and his records all trended upwards.

BTW Herbert at Oregon wasn't used in the same manner as Flowers

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

58 minutes ago, puc86 said:

But in your opinion ours was perfectly strong except for the interference of the Strong regime?

The line was moving in the right direction until Mattox arrived with CCS and chased off 3 potential contributors and guys like Norman and Atterbury immediately stopped developing.  Were we  Wisconsin/Bama on the OL?  No, did CWT and his staff turn the offensive line around compared to how terrible it was when they came in after Skip?  That's a resounding yes.   We appeared to have some good promising young guys in the pipeline and guys that were being groomed and showed promise but somehow in 2 years we got to having to start true freshmen at the two most important positions on the offensive line.....

Edited by Bull Dozer