• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

So, how bad does it get next week?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  146

22 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Is Ga Tech above .500 now?  Illinois is 3-3 discounting our game and their wins are vs. Kent State, Western Illinois and Butgers.  Their losses are good losses though.  And, oh goody, we're better than a good FCS team.  Excuse me for not being excited.  UConn's closest loss was by 30 before last night.  Again, not impressive and not exciting.  I'm glad we're winning but the way it is being done doesn't instill confidence in me.  If some of you want to believe we'll run the table and get a NY Day Bowl game go right ahead.  Free country and all that.

First of all-- Illinois is now 3-4 and no-- we are not going to discount our win over them. USF earned it.

At no point did I intimate anything you appear to be accusing me of saying. Someone said "this the first team we are playing with a winning record" and I supplied the facts that it was not.

1 hour ago, Moreon said:

I think Houston is the first team they face with a winning record

I did not say it was impressive or interesting or even exciting. Sorry if I pointed out that Elon is doing somewhat well. Shame on me for making an FCS opponent sound like more than a doormat.

Your response and quoting me as if I did all that is quite confusing. Did you not understand the point of responding with some simple facts about the records of opponents when we played them? It really was nothing more than that.

It is very obvious that our season and 7-0 record are incongruous - this does not need to be pointed out to me as if I am blind or oblivious to it. Our ranking and record are the work of smoke and mirrors so far. We all know this. The team can prove us wrong in any of the remaining games and I hope they rise to the occasion and impress us-- or simply win-- I don't really care as long as they win somehow.

Edited by MikeG

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 hours ago, MikeG said:

To assume that we have no chance of winning this game is ignoring everything about this team. They are gamers-- and while they squeak by with wins against lesser teams, they can also rise to the occasion when they need to-- so don't count them out. I don't recall there being a prize for correctly predicted the demise of USF- so what is the hurry in pronouncing USF dead?

Anything can happen in these games. It would not hurt to be a little less "we're doomed" and a tad more "you're in for a fight, Houston".

Man I hope we win this game-- and do it precisely how we have beaten other teams-- with endless amounts of fans getting upset at every single bad play that happens. I am not saying we will win - we certainly aren't showing anyone we are amazing -- but we certainly have a shot. Those saying we might not win again this season confound me.

This is what I am hoping for. It is the ultimate intangible...mental toughness. A few news reports discussed how the players were really upset after the game. Hopefully this will increase the quality of their prep this week. 

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

2 hours ago, JTrue said:

Of course we’re going to lose, we have the worst coach in America, right?

Who will be plucked from us next season

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

50 minutes ago, Triple B said:

This is has been a running theme on here and the question that keeps coming to mind is what do you, meaning the collective you, need confidence for?

I don't as far as playing the game.  But when it comes to attending the games or discussions on this very important message board I don't have a ton of confidence going into this game.  And, for what its worth, I was confident that we would kick UConns butt.  We won but, in my eyes, we didn't kick their butt.  And that is all we're talking about on here - our opinions, thoughts and feelings.  Nothing that gets posted on here matters.  Many people have confidence that we are a great team and it doesn't mean diddly when game time starts.  So why would you question whether I need confidence?

Edited by CousinRicky

• Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,525
  • Days Won:  422

2 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Many people with confidence that we are a great team don't mean diddly when game time starts.  So why would you question whether I need confidence?

Many people with confidence that we suck as a team doesn't mean diddly when game time starts either ... and I'm not questioning whether you need confidence or not, you obviously think you do, but rather it's what "you" need that confidence for? I don't think it's gambling, obviously not motivation to go to games ..... is it just a peace of mind?

6 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I don't as far as playing the game.  But when it comes to attending the games or discussions on this very important message board I don't have a ton of confidence going into this game.  And, for what its worth, I was confident that we would kick UConns butt.  We won but, in my eyes, we didn't kick their butt.  And that is all we're talking about on here - our opinions, thoughts and feelings.  Nothing that gets posted on here matters.  Many people have confidence that we are a great team and it doesn't mean diddly when game time starts.  So why would you question whether I need confidence?

That has not been my impression from this board (bolded part above). Most people on here seem determined to point out every single thing that is wrong with our team all week long. There are a few who make an assumption that our players are far more talented than everyone else (a claim I cannot figure out where they get that idea from) but that poor coaching is causing all the problems.

But no-- I have not seen many people (if any) that are talking about how this is a GREAT TEAM. Are you referring to the ability to come together when it matters to pull out wins? That is pretty decent.

After the Bucs OT game win-- I happened to check out a thread on Facebook that was loaded with people complaining about every aspect of the team. Now this is after the Bucs WON with a 59 yard field goal in over time. They don't have to worry about style points or rankings-- just wins and losses. But even knowing that-- and winning-- they still had to tell everyone what is wrong with the team.

Maybe it is a Tampa or sports problem. I don't know.

3 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Many people with confidence that we suck as a team doesn't mean diddly when game time starts either ... and I'm not questioning whether you need confidence or not, you obviously think you do, but rather it's what "you" need that confidence for? I don't think it's gambling, obviously not motivation to go to games ..... is it just a peace of mind?

my guess is pride

• Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,525
  • Days Won:  422

5 minutes ago, MikeG said:

Maybe it is a Tampa or sports problem. I don't know.

Don't think we can say it's a Tampa problem considering a lot of it on here is coming from elsewhere ...

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

The only thing we know about this team is they have a tendency to play down or up to their competition.  I am not discounting anything with this bunch.... As bad as we played, any other team we have beaten would likely blow UConn out.  It's the sign of a young team... the fact they keep winning speaks for itself.  When the defense began to crap... the offense gets better for some reason.  I think they get a since of urgency or something.  We will know a lot about this team after Houston... or will we?  If they win, we'll say they're good and haven't been playing up to their potential.  I don't expect Houston to roll over this team by any means.  I actually think we will pull an upset. .. because that seems like something this team would do.  Get one when they're counted out already. 

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,012
  • Days Won:  38

USF can beat Houston with some improved execution.  I know that's been a bit of a meme on here, but seriously.  They don't have to reinvent the wheel. And throw a couple wrinkles in.

Barnett has also been kind of off early in games so I wish we could do more to get in a rhythm next round.