• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Shane McClanahan Update

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

I just want to add my two cents of pointless knowledge. His family believes he is worth millions. I don't want to make them out to be bad people because they aren't. But I think there is an unrealistic expectation of what he is worth and I believe it comes from Ma and Pa. Now I think my kids are awesome and waaaayyyy better than your kids but, I also realize there's a reality check there somewhere. I don't think that is the case with this group of folks. There was a point when Dad was talking about Logan Gilbert's Grandma who couldn't stop gushing about her grandson. The way he spoke about that incident was almost patronizing in that he couldn't believe someone would talk about another pitcher when there was Shane to talk about. Additionally, there seems to be this mentality amongst them that nothing, nothing, ever is Shane's fault. Nothing. The excuses for his performances on the mound sometimes border on ludicrous and I really had to contain myself when hearing them. Finally, I think that some of the entourage see Shane as a golden ticket. And I'm sure that happens all the time but it just adds pressure to a situation that doesn't need to be there. Just to reiterate, his family are not bad people, I think his family are good people with an unrealistic expectation

Would I love to see Shane come back for another year? Sure! Should he? No way in hell. However there is this. He still holds 2 years of eligibility. Meaning even if he does come back another year, he still holds the negotiating edge next year. So coming back is a gamble but a more calculated one.

Edited by cophbulls

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

He needs to take the money and start his professional career. If he turns this down, he is only 1 injury away from throwing away millions. Hopefully he is seeking quality financial advice from someone outside the family. 

Like cophbulls stated some parents have unrealistic expectations of their child's value/skill level. My siblings and I played lots of competitive sports, and unfortunately many parents see their child as a golden ticket. It's sickening how much pressure some parents put on their children to be successful. I've seen numerous parents take all the fun out of playing a sport. They pressure their children until the kid pretty much snaps and ends up hating the game and their parents. If the kid happens to be talented enough to make it professionally...out come the "friends and family" wanting their piece of the pie.

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

1 hour ago, cophbulls said:

So coming back is a gamble but a more calculated one.

How often does that gamble pay off for a pitcher? Especially one that has already had one TJ 

That family thing I can totally understand. If you go an entire season with strike throwing issues, its because you aren't making adjustments so you must think the problem isn't you. 

Edited by BrassBulls12

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,078
  • Days Won:  2

Shane's people probably think he can come back and dominate next season at USF and go #1 overall.  He has the talent to do it but he has a better chance of being even worse than he was this year.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I know many want him to sign, but I’ll say it...COME BACK SHANE, COME BACK. 

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

If he's as good as he and his parents think he is he should sign and get to the minor leagues so he can get to his first real big league contract sooner.   If they really think he's the end all be all the sooner he leaves USF for the minors the sooner he signs his first real big time deal.  That's without even thinking about the fact he could go lower due to injury, further regression, or teams just don't want to deal with him and his family for a kid that's similar talent wise but doesn't have the baggage.   

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Come on back Shane, we'll take you for another year.  At the very least he can get insurance much like football players do.  Obviously he has a number in mind, and they aren't matching it.

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

1-Shane McClanahan, LHP, South Florida-31st pick

McClanahan is obviously a very talented pitcher, but with some past injury history he may be delayed after the physical.

https://www.mlbdailydish.com/2018/6/29/17516642/tracking-all-unsigned-2018-mlb-draft-picks-by-team

• Topic Count:  353
  • Content Count:  4,092
  • Days Won:  56

Are we going to be welcoming him back for his junior season? Anyone have any insight here?