• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Shane McClanahan Update

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

http://www.usforacle.com/news/view.php/1034005/McClanahan-should-take-the-money-and-run

"Here are some words of advice for Shane McClanahan: do not stay in school. Leave now and never look back.

The Bulls’ former — actually, possibly still current ace — has yet to sign with the Tampa Bay Rays after being selected with the 31st overall pick in this month’s MLB Draft. Not much has come out from either side since, as McClanahan is the only unsigned Rays draft pick from the first 10 rounds.

McClanahan and the Rays have until July 6 to come to an agreement. After that, the Rays would lose the lefty’s major league rights and McClanahan likely would return to USF for his redshirt junior season. USF officials told The Oracle on Monday that no decisions have been made.

What’s with the hold up?

It’s about money.

Tampa Bay has a little more than $2.4 million remaining in its signing bonus pool that it could give McClanahan. If the historically-thrifty Rays were to award McClanahan more than that amount, they would face a fine and potentially worse punishments depending on how far over its allotment the team went.

McClanahan is not likely to receive more than that amount. He’d be lucky if the Rays even offer him that much as a signing bonus, considering his pick was valued at $2.2 million. It’s time to accept that — or something similar —  and sign.

Entering the 2018 season, McClanahan was projected to be a top-10 pick in the draft, but he struggled with command during the season, finishing with a 5-6 record and a 3.42 ERA. He eventually fell to the first-round compensatory picks.

The No. 10 pick in this year’s draft, Travis Swaggerty, signed with the Pittsburgh Pirates for $4.4 million. Theoretically, McClanahan’s value dropped by at least $2 million during USF’s season.

But $2.2 million is still a lot of money and there are no guarantees that a similar offer will find its way to McClanahan in 2019.

The potential downside of not signing now is not worth the risks associated with one more year of college ball. McClanahan already has a history of injury, missing the entire 2016 season after undergoing Tommy John surgery.

Even without injury, the chances McClanahan does better next year are not guaranteed. There were 1,214 draft picks in 2018. Only 30 players were drafted higher than McClanahan. Of all people, McClanahan should know how unpredictable the MLB Draft can be.

In 2015, McClanahan was projected to be drafted in the first 10 to 15 rounds, according to a spotlight on McClanahan published before this year’s draft by The News-Press, which is based out of Fort Myers. McClanahan was eventually drafted by the New York Mets in the 26th round. McClanahan’s decision was easy then – sign with USF, improve his game and hope to do better next time around.

There’s always room for further improvement. Rather than spending another year at USF, McClanahan should take the money that comes with signing to an MLB club.

The Rays aren’t realistically expecting McClanahan to be major league ready until toward the end of the 2020 season — and that’s in the most expedited of timelines. There’s plenty of time to work on mechanics in the minor leagues before he sees the bright lights of the majors.

McClanahan’s decision should be easy. In fact, it should have already happened by now. McClanahan should accept what the Rays are offering, sign on the dotted line and begin his career as a professional baseball player as soon as possible."

Its just an opinion piece but it offers an idea as to why he hasn't signed yet. Looks like he is wanting to be paid a little closer to his projected draft status. I don't think he will get that and should probably, like the article says, take what they are offering and get to work. 

Edited by BrassBulls12

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

I saw a blurb yesterday about him being the only one not to sign.  The word delusional comes to mind.  Would I like to see him back at USF?  Sure. But can't imagine what he and his "advisers" are thinking. 

2 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I saw a blurb yesterday about him being the only one not to sign.  The word delusional comes to mind.  Would I like to see him back at USF?  Sure. But can't imagine what he and his "advisers" are thinking. 

Yeah, there is very little to gain by coming back to school for him. This is the best deal he is going to get hands down. In all honesty, with as many young arms as the Rays have I don't see him having much leverage. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Call me crazy but I think I could make $2.2 mil work. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,986
  • Days Won:  469

41 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

But can't imagine what he and his "advisers" are thinking. 

Chap?  

😁

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Who knows what he's thinking. I had this talk with a guy I played with in college that did a few years in the Angels' system and, the gist of it was, every single guy who makes it to the majors is a bit of an ******* and they have to be. Not in the bad sense, but more in the sense that they all are ultra-competitive about everything and they have to the mentality that they are better than EVERYONE. Every batter they face or every pitcher. Contempt might be a good word. You see it all the time in negotiations when a guy spits on a $50 million offer and you're wondering what the hell the guy is thinking turning it down. Shane might truly believe he's worth more money and is determined to get it from the Rays, who he thinks lucked out by getting him, but he's not giving them a discount for it. 

This article does a pretty good job of showing one guy's mentality. Pham is a bit of an *******, in the normal world sense. And I'm not referring to the personal stuff he's dealt with, more the way he talked to the Cardinals.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/04/02/tommy-pham-st-louis-cardinals

Or look at Max Scherzer. He turned down 6 years, $144 million from Detroit and said he was worth more and was going to go out and get it. There's never a day he's on the mound he doesn't think he's absolutely better than anyone he goes up against.

Edited by JTrue

This is true, but you need leverage. Is Shane going to get more than 2.2 if goes back to school? No. Do the Rays really need him? No, they have very good young arm talent.  So if you are the Rays and you don't want to pay a fine because this kid thinks he's worth more than 2.2 then you just don't. Brady Aiken told the Astros to keep their 5 mil and ended up signing for 2.5 mil the next year. The guy that is spitting on 50 mil is going to get 50 mil somewhere. Right now his competitiveness should be saying give me that 2.2 mil and watch what I can do.

However, it should be noted that with the way free agency went this season, no one should be spitting on 50 mil unless your name is Harper or Machado. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Dude...take the 2.2 and get on with your baseball life. But with your first scratch give a little to BullsPen site who has followed your career in great detail. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Shane, take the money and swallow yer pride if that's the holdup.

You could get hit by a bus tomorrow.