• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

49 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

I think the "no dirty laundry" quote from today was a direct message to those who were trying to push Jurich. That message was "we hear you but, no thanks" . Unless this is the best smoke screen that USF has ever pulled off on a hire I think he's out of the running. If I didn't know anything about Judy I would think Jurich would still be a candidate, but knowing Judy and hearing a public message like this about "dirty laundry" that makes me thinks hes a no go for her. If USF is out there saying "no dirty laundry" publicly there is no way Judy signs off on somebody who was on watch when what happened at UL happened.

Unless there is some kind of donor/influencer revolt that causes the trustees to have some kind of come to Jesus talk and force her hand this won't happen. Which sucks because he is the best possible candidate we could hire. I'll gladly have a huge smile on my face while a eat a couple helpings of Crow if Jurich ends up being it but after today the logical bet is he's not under consideration.

Yea, we hear you Mr. Deep Pocket donor...don't care. 

• Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,098
  • Days Won:  56

3 hours ago, JTrue said:

We’re absolutely going to hire the least exiting candidate humanly possibly.  Long is 99% in the bag.

One thing's for sure, it's not Jurich, given the quote about no baggage. Even if he's clean and it was guilt by association, he's out based on perception alone.

it really shouldn't be anyone but Rob Higgins. They should have made him an offer he absolutely couldn't refuse. If the big donors really wanted to put their money where their mouth is, this could have been it.

Edited by Dave_Glaser

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

51 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

One thing's for sure, it's not Jurich, given the quote about no baggage. Even if he's clean and it was guilt by association, he's out based on perception alone.

it really shouldn't be anyone but Rob Higgins. They should have made him an offer he absolutely couldn't refuse. If the big donors really wanted to put their money where their mouth is, this could have been it.

This would have been the perfect strategy...put up or shut up time. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Sad thing is, the new AD is going to be on the phone a month from now trying to convince donors that we're not some half-assed, penny pinching, play it safe athletic department and that with just a bit more support, we're going to that next level. Only problem is, that AD will be the most uninspired, safest, penny-pinching candidate hired by a department that obviously was afraid to risk anything and/or spend any real money on an AD.

Go Bulls!

tenor.gif?itemid=5645509

Edited by JTrue
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Days Won:  1

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/usf-bulls/2018/06/25/do-tom-jurich-jeff-long-fit-criteria-usf-wants-in-a-new-athletic-director/

TAMPA — Although the search committee for USF's new athletic director wouldn't discuss specific candidates during its meeting Monday, the criteria they discussed shed some light on who might — and might not — be in the mix for a job expected to be filled by July 4.

USF wants a proven leader, preferably with previous AD experience, committee chair William Sutton reiterated in a conference room at the school's downtown Center for Advanced Medical Learning and Simulation. That fits the description of two names regularly mentioned by insiders and those in the industry: former Louisville AD Tom Jurich and former Arkansas/Pitt AD Jeff Long.

Jurich also checks three other boxes Sutton mentioned, which helps explain why he has gained the backing of major boosters and some current USF coaches. He has local ties (a condo in Clearwater), a track record in fundraising and facilities (he helped expand the Cardinals' football stadium twice), and he has industry connections that could help in the next wave of conference realignment.

RELATED: Support growing for Tom Jurich to become Bulls' next AD

Perhaps Jurich's biggest success in two decades at Louisville was getting the Cardinals to rise from Conference USA to, eventually, the ACC. No Power Five conferences seem poised to expand, but that could change in the next seven years, when the Big 12's media rights deal expires and teams could be shuffling again.

"No one knows exactly how it's going to play out," Sutton said, "but we need somebody who's tuned into that and can get us in the conversation."

Jurich would do that, and the fact that he gave current Bulls football coach Charlie Strong his first head coaching job is another obvious advantage.

The question is whether possesses another trait mentioned Monday — the kind of "high integrity" and "above reproach" character Sutton said the Bulls are seeking.

RELATED: The pros and cons of Tom Jurich as potential USF AD candidate

Jurich's Louisville tenure included the hire of controversial football coach Bobby Petrino, two years after Long fired him at Arkansas for improperly hiring his mistress and then misleading the school about it. Jurich also oversaw a men's basketball program that saw its 2013 national title vacated because of a stripper scandal before being fired last fall in a backlash from the FBI's college basketball investigation.

"No dirty laundry. That's important…" Sutton said. "To do anything to undermine (USF's status as a preeminent university) would be crazy. We're going to be in a position where we're going to do the right thing for the right reasons, and that's what we're going to do."

After the 20-minute meeting, Sutton declined to say whether that benchmark disqualifies Jurich.

Long's resume doesn't have such glaring flaws. He led a self-sustaining athletic department at Arkansas and spearheaded a $160 million renovation of Razorback Stadium. He, too, has industry connections; he was the first chairman of the College Football Playoff's selection committee.

RELATED: USF considering former Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long

Long, who was dismissed in November amid ongoing football mediocrity, is also rumored to be in contention to become the next AD at Kansas.

Former Tennessee/Kansas State AD John Currie is another potential candidate who would give the Bulls the kind of high-profile hire they're believed to be seeking.

RELATED: USF athletic director search nearing its end

Although no candidates have interviewed on campus, a hire is expected soon. After revisiting the committee's criteria Monday, Sutton said he'll reevaluate the pool of candidates with the search firm before hopefully suggesting someone to president Judy Genshaft later this week.

Times staff writer Joey Knight contributed to this report.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Just chiming in, I would prefer a guy like Jurich. He has been through the building and growth process. Although Long has the experience at the highest level, that doesn't always translate into the skills needed to build.   

Admittedly, I haven't researched Long's background, but managing an established SEC program like Arkansas is a different job than building a school like Louisville from where they were when he started to where they are now. 

My best friend is a UL alum and former soccer player. He has told me some stories about the athletic department was before Jurich got there and where i is now. Jurich did amazing job. That's the skill set we need. 

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

^^^ This all day long. This University needs Jurich and the time is now. Jurich can get the donors motivated and an OCS under construction within 7 years. That's our time table because, that's when the realignment wheel will turn again.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Days Won:  9

25 minutes ago, usfgrad84 said:

Just chiming in, I would prefer a guy like Jurich. He has been through the building and growth process. Although Long has the experience at the highest level, that doesn't always translate into the skills needed to build.   

Admittedly, I haven't researched Long's background, but managing an established SEC program like Arkansas is a different job than building a school like Louisville from where they were when he started to where they are now. 

My best friend is a UL alum and former soccer player. He has told me some stories about the athletic department was before Jurich got there and where i is now. Jurich did amazing job. That's the skill set we need. 

Sure.... eliminate a guy you admittedly don’t have a clue about.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/support-staff/jeff-long/

Edited by NAS Gone to Paradise

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Days Won:  9

9 minutes ago, Azmodi said:

^^^ This all day long. This University needs Jurich and the time is now. Jurich can get the donors motivated and an OCS under construction within 7 years. That's our time table because, that's when the realignment wheel will turn again.

Why are you so sure Jurich can get donors motivated enough to build an OCS at USF within 7 years?

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

5 minutes ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

Why are you so sure Jurich can get donors motivated enough to build an OCS at USF within 7 years?

Because if he doesn't do it in 7 years, there's no reason to ever do it. We're AAC for life and it isn't getting done on that budget.