• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coaching Dominoes Are Starting To Fall

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

3 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

College football is 90% Jimmys and Joes 10% X's and O's.  Most of the elite teams out athlete all but maybe 1-2 teams on their schedule.  This reality is why most great college coaches fail at the next level where everybody has Jimmys and Joes for the most part.  

Great synopsis.  I completely agree.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

4 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

I have been biting my tongue on this one lately because of all the hero worship, but I can only count maybe 3 big wins out of the last 4 years (Temple, Navy, and a 6-6 South Carolina team but that wasn't Taggart).

When the dust settles, I wonder how this era will be remembered.  Beating a bad FSU team in St. Pete might help.  So far CCS doesn't have any wins of note, no championship, no good bowl win yet.

Does Stony Brook count?

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,013
  • Days Won:  38

Just now, El_Toro_86 said:

Does Stony Brook count?

I guess.  What league are they in?  Are they seawolves?  

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,801
  • Days Won:  0

9 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

College football is 90% Jimmys and Joes 10% X's and O's.  Most of the elite teams out athlete all but maybe 1-2 teams on their schedule.  This reality is why most great college coaches fail at the next level where everybody has Jimmys and Joes for the most part.  

I dont completely agree. There is a  reason good coaches win games. Its because they outsmart their opponent. Yes talent does play a part but exploiting strengths and weaknesses is the brilliance of the coach.  70% Jimmys and Joes 30% X and Os and that 30% makes the difference in being a champion or not. Saban turned Alabama into a Dynasty again because he knew what to do.

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,343
  • Days Won:  0

3 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

I dont completely agree. There is a  reason good coaches win games. Its because they outsmart their opponent. Yes talent does play a part but exploiting strengths and weaknesses is the brilliance of the coach.  70% Jimmys and Joes 30% X and Os and that 30% makes the difference in being a champion or not. Saban turned Alabama into a Dynasty again because he knew what to do.

.....and his backup talent is better than the starters on 99% of the teams.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,013
  • Days Won:  38

Taggart changed his offense and started winning a lot with the same Joes he was losing with.  Now there is a current bidding war for him.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

3 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

And he was awful in the NFL where he doesn't roll up with with teams loaded full of 1st 3 round draft picks that severely over matches all but maybe 2 teams on his schedule a year.  Coaching at the college level is SEVERELY overrated it's why almost every college coach that tries to make that transition to the NFL fails.  They get to lean on out athleteing teams in college which creates easily winnable match ups.  At the next level everyone is a fantastic athlete and you have to scheme them into winnable match ups.  This is why there is so much parity in the NFL everybody is an elite football player, there are no future sales guys, cops, marketing directors etc to exploit with future NFL football players.  

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

3 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

Taggart changed his offense and started winning a lot with the same Joes he was losing with.  Now there is a current bidding war for him.

Yup what CWT did is EXTREMELY rare.  Most coaches go down with the ship when it comes to their philosophy.  Many coaches lose jobs due to their own hubris.....  

• Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  2,114
  • Days Won:  2

Brett McMurphyVerified account @Brett_McMurphy 5m5 minutes ago

Phillip Fulmer will be named Tennessee’s AD, sources told @ClowESPN