• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USA Today: Ole Miss, Tennessee could pursue Charlie Strong

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

On 10/12/2017 at 6:44 PM, NYCbull said:

Your delusional if you think there will not be a drop-off in our offensive production once flowers leaves

Maybe, but maybe not as great a drop-off as people think...and maybe not much at all. There is talent at RB, WR, TE, and on the OL....our offense isn't the one-man gang that some make it out to be. Some are saying we will be a 6-6 team in 2018. I would think we'll be quite a bit better than that. I have a feeling that Kean can function just fine in this offense, and there's enough talent at the skill positions. UCF will probably be especially difficult to get past next year though. Only one Senior starter on offense, and 4 on defense. If Frost is around, they will definitely be favorites in 2018 to win the conference.

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  161
  • Content Count:  560
  • Days Won:  1

On 10/12/2017 at 9:06 PM, USFBulls727 said:

1) I don't recall anybody saying we would crumple w/o Adams and Mack, but I could be wrong. The popular belief seemed to be that there would be fewer quick-strike TDs and more sustained drives, which would be better for the defense, and that's exactly what's going on.

2) I would hope that Kean/Olakudun are better passers, because there's no doubt they can't run nearly as well. I think it's possible that there won't be a big drop-off in the offense, and that defenses might not stack the box as much in 2018. I like the possibility of a QB who can sling it, further opening up the run game. Just not sure Kean (or Olakudun) is that guy.

3) No idea if Charlie hangs around long, but how many big name head coaches who are winning a lot of games stick around long at G5 programs? Think Bobby Petrino at Western Kentucky. That could be Charlie Strong. 

This is a big IF, but if Lane Kiffin doesn't step on his stick at FAU, I think he could be a good fit at USF for a few years if CCS leaves in the next couple years. The guy knows offense and put up 60+ last weekend. He has Tampa ties and his pop can coach D. Don't like the guy as a person but he's in the same league as Bobby 'Road Rash Face' for offense. Plus Lane can say to recruits 'Meet me at the ABC across the street from Mans  at 12:00 AM and I'll buy you some Lickaaa' with a straight face.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

8 minutes ago, Atlanta Bull said:

This is a big IF, but if Lane Kiffin doesn't step on his stick at FAU, I think he could be a good fit at USF for a few years if CCS leaves in the next couple years. The guy knows offense and put up 60+ last weekend. He has Tampa ties and his pop can coach D. Don't like the guy as a person but he's in the same league as Bobby 'Road Rash Face' for offense. Plus Lane can say to recruits 'Meet me at the ABC across the street from Mans  at 12:00 AM and I'll buy you some Lickaaa' with a straight face.

Our administration would not touch him with a 10 ft pole.

Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

6 minutes ago, Atlanta Bull said:

The problem is that he's stepped on his stick everywhere he's been. Also, Monte Kiffen is a great defensive coach, but he's getting up there...I'm more surprised he hasn't retired yet. I have a feeling there will be plenty of good options without having to go that route. Besides, we already turned down Kiffen once. 

If we had to make a hire in one to two years, Manny Diaz or Thomas brown from Miami would both be good choices. 

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

On 10/13/2017 at 9:05 PM, USFBulls727 said:

Maybe, but maybe not as great a drop-off as people think...and maybe not much at all. There is talent at RB, WR, TE, and on the OL....our offense isn't the one-man gang that some make it out to be. Some are saying we will be a 6-6 team in 2018. I would think we'll be quite a bit better than that. I have a feeling that Kean can function just fine in this offense, and there's enough talent at the skill positions. 

This is the Bobby Eveld fallacy.  You just assume that because in limited snaps that Kean is a "better passer" that we will be just as productive if not more productive with him.  What this fails to take into account is all of the negative plays Flowers' mobility allows us to avoid and the defenders defenses have to allocate to spy Flowers.

Just as it was with BJ it's lost on many fans just how many plays would be sure sacks with just about any other human on the planet other than Flowers playing QB.  I'm not just talking about the splash plays either I'm talking about the plays  where  he scrambles for like 2-3yds or throws the ball away after being dead to rights.  Almost all of those are sacks with Kean which puts the offense way behind schedule out of its comfort zone.  Those plays are drive killers and Flowers avoids an ungodly amount of them.  

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

1 minute ago, Bull Dozer said:

This is the Bobby Eveld fallacy.  You just assume that because in limited snaps that Kean is a "better passer" that we will be just as productive if not more productive with him.  What this fails to take into account is all of the negative plays Flowers' mobility allows us to avoid. 

Just as it was with BJ it's lost on many fans just how many plays would be sure sacks with just about any other human on the planet other than Flowers playing QB.  I'm not just talking about the splash plays either I'm talking about the plays  where  he scrambles for like 2-3yds or throws the ball away after being dead to rights.  Almost all of those are sacks with Kean which puts the offense way behind schedule out of its comfort zone.  Those plays are drive killers and Flowers avoids an ungodly amount of them.  

I tend to agree. An athletic, mobile QB covers up so many deficiencies on offense that even a really good pocket passer can't. O-line failures, RB fails to pick up a block, WR runs the wrong route....there isn't much a good pocket passer can do to cover up these deficiencies other than throw the ball away or tuck it and minimize the damage. A QB like QF can turn what would be a 5 yard loss on 2nd and 8 into a 3 yard gain, making a 3rd and 13 a much more manageable 3rd and 5. Those are the subtle plays that lead to wins. 

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,347
  • Days Won:  0

9 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

I tend to agree. An athletic, mobile QB covers up so many deficiencies on offense that even a really good pocket passer can't. O-line failures, RB fails to pick up a block, WR runs the wrong route....there isn't much a good pocket passer can do to cover up these deficiencies other than throw the ball away or tuck it and minimize the damage. A QB like QF can turn what would be a 5 yard loss on 2nd and 8 into a 3 yard gain, making a 3rd and 13 a much more manageable 3rd and 5. Those are the subtle plays that lead to wins. 

Agree with this.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,808

If a coach is not from Florida who cannot recruit Florida. So that really limits our potential replacements.  Also I think the next coach either needs to be a coordinator at a big school or a head coach from somewhere to take over this program.  Skippy was a head coach but did not have Florida high school ties. It hurt us big time. Maybe Willie will be out of Oregon by the time Charlie leaves.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,502

I'm hoping Strong looked at what's in the cupboard and is recruiting appropriately.  We've never been able to get a great offensive line that can pass protect, but maybe with our success, he can pull in some higher ranked linemen over the next few years to compliment what ever type of qb we have.  I'm guessing Kean will be a stop-gap until Battle can get up to speed and then we'll be back to a mobile qb system again.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Our administration would not touch him with a 10 ft pole.

Thank goodness