• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Illinois game vs. other 3 games

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

I'll say consistency is the name of the  game for QF and the offense. 

Throwing around absolutes in  regard to Q is insulting. There are plenty of games where his arm kept us in. 3rd and medium/ long was nothing for us last year. 

If it was so easy to pad quarterback stats everyone would do it. The young man typically gets trolling later in the season. 

I suspect that he went into the game knowing they weren't going to let him shine. I think that affects him, but that's just me. Players don't get Hiesman speculation as a courtesy. QF is a beast, just in consistent. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  1,180
  • Days Won:  1

Only complaint is that Q has struggled with accuracy (drops have also caused that completetion percentage to be low). I think the trick is to build Q's confidence early with some easy passes and then go forward from there. Just my $0.02.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

9 hours ago, usfgrad84 said:

Ill give you the false starts, dropped balls and maybe Q not being Q. 

The rest is just your preference. Doesn't mean there is something wrong with it.

Flowers has never been an accurate passer. His completion stats were padded by touch passes and bubbles. 

This offense is methodical, but equally effective. After watching Grothe get hurt then Daniels get hurt in the senior years, I really have no problem limiting Flowers runs unless really needed. 

No, it's not just MY preference. It's optics with the Bowl and CFP decision makers

If we were in a P5 league, and rankings didn't matter, and style points didn't matter - if winning was enough - then I'd be fine with just winning.

But we're not.

We're in the JV league, and we can't play with the big boys in January unless we blow out the little sisters and look "mahvelous" doing it.

There should be NO media discussion of SDSU passing us as the G5 darling, because we should have won all our games in convincing fashion. Since we don't pass the eye test, we must now hope for SDSU to drop one.

Remember last year, hoping for Temple to lose? They didn't. And we lost our chance at the CCG when we lost control of our own destiny.

If SDSU goes undefeated, they'll like take the G5 bid from an undefeated USF - unless we put up a LOT more style points in conference play than we did against the weakspit OOC teams.

At kickoff in San Jose, the Peach was in OUR hands - we controlled our own destiny. By halftime, maybe not. We may need help. If Air Force didn't help, who will?

Of course, all of this is moot if we drop a game, so hopefully the team isn't talking about all this crap, and just focused on ECU right now.

Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,081
  • Days Won:  39

9 hours ago, usfgrad84 said:

Flowers has never been an accurate passer. His completion stats were padded by touch passes and bubbles. 

He also rarely turns the ball over, so that's in a big plus column.  I think they just need to keep up the misdirection to enable his big plays.  He is good at pump fakes, pulling the ball and getting 40 yards, etc.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,638
  • Days Won:  424

5 minutes ago, charsibb said:

No, it's not just MY preference. It's optics with the Bowl and CFP decision makers

If we were in a P5 league, and rankings didn't matter, and style points didn't matter - if winning was enough - then I'd be fine with just winning.

But we're not.

We're in the JV league, and we can't play with the big boys in January unless we blow out the little sisters and look "mahvelous" doing it.

There should be NO media discussion of SDSU passing us as the G5 darling, because we should have won all our games in convincing fashion. Since we don't pass the eye test, we must now hope for SDSU to drop one.

Remember last year, hoping for Temple to lose? They didn't. And we lost our chance at the CCG when we lost control of our own destiny.

If SDSU goes undefeated, they'll like take the G5 bid from an undefeated USF - unless we put up a LOT more style points in conference play than we did against the weakspit OOC teams.

At kickoff in San Jose, the Peach was in OUR hands - we controlled our own destiny. By halftime, maybe not. We may need help. If Air Force didn't help, who will?

Of course, all of this is moot if we drop a game, so hopefully the team isn't talking about all this crap, and just focused on ECU right now.

Go Bulls!

Our destiny was never in our hands for the NY6. There were several G5 teams out who, if also ran the table, may have been placed ahead of us because of their potential SOS. Right now it's down to SDSU. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

30 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Our destiny was never in our hands for the NY6. There were several G5 teams out who, if also ran the table, may have been placed ahead of us because of their potential SOS. Right now it's down to SDSU. 

This. We can conclude that our schedule screwed us out of the gate if both USF and SDSU run the table. No amount of win margin would have mattered for USF with the schedule we were delt. 

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

6 hours ago, TromBull12 said:

I'll say consistency is the name of the  game for QF and the offense. 

Throwing around absolutes in  regard to Q is insulting. There are plenty of games where his arm kept us in. 3rd and medium/ long was nothing for us last year. 

If it was so easy to pad quarterback stats everyone would do it. The young man typically gets trolling later in the season. 

I suspect that he went into the game knowing they weren't going to let him shine. I think that affects him, but that's just me. Players don't get Hiesman speculation as a courtesy. QF is a beast, just in consistent. 

This. Everyone talks about Q being a bad passer, and, he was at the beginning of last year too, but, as much as his stats were "padded" due to the short passes, they also should have been hindered by the sheer amount of deep shots we take. Right now Q is 53-101 passing. I am not counting them up, but, I don't think anyone would argue with me if I said there have been at least 10 drops by our receivers this year, so, he could be well over 60% if we're catching at a better rate. Stats are one thing, I know that we all see some issues with accuracy that the stats may not reflect, but, how many drives have been killed with drops that could have gone on to mean points or getting Q in a  better rhythm?

He's the least of my worries. Right now, the offensive line is not ready to play Houston or UCF. They need to get there quick. The receivers not only have to catch the ball, but, they have to create more separation. Gilbert also has to mix up the play calling a bit. One question I have is this though...

Is he challenging the OL? In the Ill game, the OL was dominant, so, we opened it up. Maybe he's in their faces saying that "We're going to run it until you guys figure out how to block it". Maybe it's more about building up the OL than it is about an exercise in futility with running up the gut so much.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

This. We can conclude that our schedule screwed us out of the gate if both USF and SDSU run the table. No amount of win margin would have mattered for USF with the schedule we were delt. 

I think the quality of the conferences will play a huge role as it winds down if both are undefeated. The huge key will be what the CFP thinks in the first poll in week 9. If we can be close with SDSU at that point, one way or the other, it may bode well down the stretch. SDSU finishes with SJSU, NEV and UNM. We finish with UConn, Tulsa and UCF. As much as it pains us, we need for UCF to have no more than one loss to either Memphis or Navy. We need Memphis or Navy to come into the CCG also undefeated. All the teams in SDSU's opposite division have at least 2 losses now.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

Keep kicking field goals and we'll be kicking it in St. Pete --at the lawnmower bowl.

13 minutes ago, Flowers4Heisman said:

Keep kicking field goals and we'll be kicking it in St. Pete --at the lawnmower bowl.

As long as we keep averaging 14 fg's a game I still think we're good for a better bowl ...

• Upvote 1