• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gilbert and Strong: What the hell were you thinking modifying the offense and throwing mechanics?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

4 minutes ago, dclenden said:

For those that think somehow Gilbert et al are keeping the playbook close to their chest, you're wrong.  It isn't.  This is a case of two guys who've previously had successes with with this style offense whose strategy is to force square blocks in round holes no matter the outcome and refuse to adapt to the players strengths.  

A smart coach adapts as CWT did.  This needs to happen now and not after 1-2 losses.  Bring back the bubble screens, designed QB runs and with it erase the offensive predictability you've somehow created in 8 quarters of play.

If I am Uconn I'm kicking my chops with what appears to be overt evidence that CCS and Gilbert are unwilling to adapt.  It's far easier to blame dropped balls and 'execution' rather than what this really is-  a feeble move to adjust a top 10 offense and the mechanics of a senior quarterback who was eliciting Heismann discussion before you showed up midstream because it's 'the way you're used to doing it'.

CCS-  don't be an old ball coach who refuses to see his hand in front of his face.  Show your team the respect they deserve by responding by mixing up the plays with the elements that gave them so much success.  If not, then you guys are just destined to be the coaches that somehow took a senior class of highly performing offensive players and made them dead average or less.

Wake the **ck up coaches-  you can turn away and avert your eyes from the wall but it doesn't mean the writing on it goes away.  

Adapt.  Fast.  Otherwise you're just old, academic coaches refusing to be novel and adaptive thinkers.

Thank You!  You saved me a lot of typing.

• Haha 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Content Count:  7,640
  • Days Won:  6

If the OP is correct that we've seen the whole playbook, now I'm really depressed.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I guess we'll just have to see how they play on Saturday. 

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

1 minute ago, 79 Bull said:

If the OP is correct that we've seen the whole playbook, now I'm really depressed.

Watch the offensive highlights from the UT/ Notre Dame game.  It's the same plays we've seen already and I doubt he was playing close to the vest against ND.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

I dont buy that this last game was the offense...I watched some of the san jose game again and yeah it was bad in the first quarter but alot of that was horrible starting field position and drops.  They attacked more in the second and scored 28 points..so I hold out that we have better plays in the system.

This past game was on the coaches they played way to vanilla and maybe they pulled back some since Flowers was having issues passing in the rain in the first half.   

If this Uconn game looks like this past week then Gilbert needs to be fired.

Edited by Bulls On Parade

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

Where are the consultants or some type of cavalry? I think Strong's too stubborn and won't adapt. This is going to be one of the short tenures that will feel long if things don't change

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,019
  • Days Won:  469

28 minutes ago, Roaming Bull said:

Where are the consultants or some type of cavalry?

The "cavalry" is being formed.  :8_laughing:

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

9 minutes ago, Brad said:

The "cavalry" is being formed.  :8_laughing:

Beating the players into submission isn't exactly what I was thinking of. This may only make things worse. 

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

55 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

Watch the offensive highlights from the UT/ Notre Dame game.  It's the same plays we've seen already and I doubt he was playing close to the vest against ND.

first game in new offense, true freshman, im sure no one would ever call a conservative game in that situation.  

you should find a better example of how terrible he is than that time they had 500 yards and 37 / 50 points. 

• Upvote 1