• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gilbert and Strong: What the hell were you thinking modifying the offense and throwing mechanics?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

16 minutes ago, Roaming Bull said:

this site needs more cute gifs right https://media.giphy.com/media/G0nTMRctvIp4Q/giphy.gif

bdR3V_s-200x150.gif?c=popkey-web&p=mlb&i

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

11 minutes ago, dclenden said:

NEB- What's strange to me is that it seems most on here are defending games 1 and 2 USF play citing convoluted excuses ranging from hiding the playbook and other unsound reasoning and not the reality- meanwhile the rest of us are scratching our heads wondering when they'll be adjustments.

I don't think anyone is defending the first two games.  Hiding the playbook is very sound reasoning, many coaches do that every season.  I'm not sure why you don't think coaches would play vanilla against clearly inferior opponents, especially as new players work into a new system with new coaches.  It's actually very sound reasoning. 

Secondly, make all the adjustments you want, if the QB can't hit a simple pass it isn't going to work.  The drives we were successful Q mostly hit on his passes.  The drives we weren't there were a lot of off target passes.  I'm sure if Gilbert could call for QF to complete the open pass, he would.  

All that said, we won the first two games with a new coaching staff.   It isn't unsound reasoning to wait longer before getting hysterical about a brand new coaching staff.   

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  254
  • Days Won:  0

Several have defended the play of the first two games.  Moreover at least as many have defended the play calling citing sandbagging, etc (even with the blocked punts).  I'm not sure I've met a coach 'hiding the playbook' losing into  the fourth quarter to a grossly inferior opponent they've paid to whip (at least willingly that deep into a game).  I have however met many who've tried to explain away a poorly executed game as being such.  I think we've learned who this team is a little with each quarter.  Let's hope things come into focus for the players and the coaches while it still matters this season. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

:guinness:

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

So you wanted to open up the playbook on the first couple of drives of the season starting the first few drives inside the 20. A couple of those inside the 5. Ok got it. 

But wait. A 50 yard go pattern thrown from the end zone wasn't aggressive enough?  If Scantling isn't interfered with its a different story.  

Of course there were issues  especially in the punting game, but in the end our productivity and scoring was right in the average range of last year.

I don't think you can draw any conclusions about the offense based on the first half of Stonybrook.  Why on earth would you come out slinging or put your Heisman candidate QB at risk by running on that field  against that team.  This isn't a video game  these kids can get hurt and to lose them doing something stupid would needlessly kill the season.

If you don't think those conditions affected the running, passing or catching that I can't help you.

If the offense continues over the next couple of games them I will agree with you  i just don't think you can make an assessment based on the first game of the year and in sloppy conditions no mattee who they are playing  

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

It's possible that each of our 11 starters on offense is more talented than anybody else that Stony Brook will see this year, yet we are unable to open up any running lanes, basically next to nothing as far as YAC for the most part, and an even game as late as the 4th quarter. I'm just blown away consistently that our RBs had nowhere to run, and how well they contained Flowers. How does this happen? This is Stony Brook we're talking about. If you didn't know any better, you literally couldn't tell which team was the 30+ point favorite. We've seen flashes of what this offense is capable of (2nd qtr SJSU), but there is zero consistency. The offensive playcalling will leave much to be desired this year I'm guessing. Thankfully we have a weak schedule, but even so, every game will be an adventure this season.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  254

6 hours ago, usfgrad84 said:

So you wanted to open up the playbook on the first couple of drives of the season starting the first few drives inside the 20. A couple of those inside the 5. Ok got it. 

But wait. A 50 yard go pattern thrown from the end zone wasn't aggressive enough?  If Scantling isn't interfered with its a different story.  

Of course there were issues  especially in the punting game, but in the end our productivity and scoring was right in the average range of last year.

I don't think you can draw any conclusions about the offense based on the first half of Stonybrook.  Why on earth would you come out slinging or put your Heisman candidate QB at risk by running on that field  against that team.  This isn't a video game  these kids can get hurt and to lose them doing something stupid would needlessly kill the season.

If you don't think those conditions affected the running, passing or catching that I can't help you.

If the offense continues over the next couple of games them I will agree with you  i just don't think you can make an assessment based on the first game of the year and in sloppy conditions no mattee who they are playing  

Can we assume these poor field conditions that you mention were actually played in by both teams? Sounds like many are making excuses for a really poor performance., that's all.  I've heard poor field conditions, not wanting QF injured to hiding the playbook.  Add these to the list of excuses I guess.  I just want to know how many games people need (or blocked punts for that matter) before we can have a real exchange about the problems here. With each quarter and each subsequent game of poor performance I'm assuming most will buy out of the idea of some hidden playbook.  

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  24

Charlie Strong is not wrong when he says execution is missing. Leaving the oline and QF out of the discussion, this is a prime example of something happening often that can be fixed with proper vision. In this play, he runs right into Galati for a 0 yard gain. When you look at Gilbert's offense last year, it was successful but you have to run the ball with vision. Something I think Tice is doing much better than DJ. 

59ae871ced705_DJRun1.JPG.28eeaa37d2565553ad62f2647349286e.JPG59ae87499a206_DJRun3.JPG.26acb04948b1b739d377041eaee923fe.JPG