• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Gilbert and Strong: What the hell were you thinking modifying the offense and throwing mechanics?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  252
  • Days Won:  0

It's hard to adapt, let's be honest were creatures of what we 'know'.

I've had success buying gold in 2014. Doesn't mean I buy it in 2017. It's a bad approach. But gosh it's 'what I've had success with before'-  see how much money I made in 2014?

CCS don't assume this role....resist the human temptation to default to what you've always done. You're older and accustomed to thinking that too much changing is just trying to 'adjust' unnecessarily.  It's doesn't mean you're wavering on your approach- there's something between 'wavering' and  'adjusting'.  It's time for you to act rationally and adjust to evidence.  Your last two games are evidence.  Your 'gut' instinct which is what you're responding to currently is what will reveal you to be overtly wrong by those who will judge you shortly.

Thing is, this adjustment back to last years play book  is so easy.  Why? Because it's already proven itself over the last two years.  Most coaches don't have this advantage of knowing the winning combination ahead of time.  You do.  Stop overlooking it.

Be observant and open, CCS, not oppositional to what's so obvious to everyone else.

Fact is, your approach already proved itself wrong- it's just so easy to say that you're 2-0 and ignore it. Get in front of it before it's so obvious and they're asking you about your resistance to change to a previously unbroken system that scored unrelentlessly on ESPN in 4 weeks time when you're 2-4.

At this point you should be scoring more than last year, not tripping over your shoe laces to just get what you already had the last two years.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  293
  • Days Won:  1

I do agree that the play calling has not been what we are accustomed to (the potent aggressive style). But I won't go as far as saying it is atrocious, especially after game 2.  We had a few dropped passes that would have put us in some pretty sweet spots, and that's unfortunate.  

In terms of stubbornness, let's not forget it took CWT almost 2 and a half seasons to play to the players strengths (talk about square pegs and round holes).  

I have faith in our new coaching staff. They are not completely oblivious and don't see what we see. They have the same goal in mind.. Win. I don't see it taking 2 seasons to make changes. 

I do see one thing though, we are 2-0 in games we would have lost 2 seasons ago.  Let's put down the pitchforks and let the staff do it's thing. We can revisit this conversation around game 7. I hope to say "told you so, just needed a little faith"

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

2 hours ago, dclenden said:

For those that think somehow Gilbert et al are keeping the playbook close to their chest, you're wrong.  It isn't.  This is a case of two guys who've previously had successes with with this style offense whose strategy is to force square blocks in round holes no matter the outcome and refuse to adapt to the players strengths.  

A smart coach adapts as CWT did.  This needs to happen now and not after 1-2 losses.  Bring back the bubble screens, designed QB runs and with it erase the offensive predictability you've somehow created in 8 quarters of play.

If I am Uconn I'm kicking my chops with what appears to be overt evidence that CCS and Gilbert are unwilling to adapt.  It's far easier to blame dropped balls and 'execution' rather than what this really is-  a feeble move to adjust a top 10 offense and the mechanics of a senior quarterback who was eliciting Heismann discussion before you showed up midstream because it's 'the way you're used to doing it'.

CCS-  don't be an old ball coach who refuses to see his hand in front of his face.  Show your team the respect they deserve by responding by mixing up the plays with the elements that gave them so much success.  If not, then you guys are just destined to be the coaches that somehow took a senior class of highly performing offensive players and made them dead average or less.

Wake the **ck up coaches-  you can turn away and avert your eyes from the wall but it doesn't mean the writing on it goes away.  

Adapt.  Fast.  Otherwise you're just old, academic coaches refusing to be novel and adaptive thinkers.

This is freaking hilarious.  For two complete season CWT tried desperately to be a power running team with players that were completely not fit for that scheme.  And now we get to hear stories about how great CWT was at fitting an offense around his talent?  Not hardly.

I think we need to give Strong and his staff more than two games that were wins before melting down.  But I especially think we need to stop with the revisionist history that CWT was a brilliant offensive mind that didn't stubbornly try to cram his system in, no matter the cost.  That is simply completely untrue.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  293

6 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

This is freaking hilarious.  For two complete season CWT tried desperately to be a power running team with players that were completely not fit for that scheme.  And now we get to hear stories about how great CWT was at fitting an offense around his talent?  Not hardly.

I think we need to give Strong and his staff more than two games that were wins before melting down.  But I especially think we need to stop with the revisionist history that CWT was a brilliant offensive mind that didn't stubbornly try to cram his system in, no matter the cost.  That is simply completely untrue.

Amen. I remember many nights of frustration with the offense under CWT. I'm glad he eventually got it together, but those were tough times.

• Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  1,180

Hate to be that guy, but... the OC isn't responsible for some pretty horrible passes/dropped balls/blown reads on the read option. Yes, the play calling has been horrible, but some of this is on the players. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, slowdown said:

first game in new offense, true freshman, im sure no one would ever call a conservative game in that situation.  

you should find a better example of how terrible he is than that time they had 500 yards and 37 / 50 points. 

Well.  He has a senior QB in Flowers, who was considered a dark horse heisman candidate at the beginning of the season and ran the same plays he did with a true freshmen QB at UT.  Let's see what happens on Saturday.  I expect more of the same.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

9 minutes ago, USF Bulls Football said:

Hate to be that guy, but... the OC isn't responsible for some pretty horrible passes/dropped balls/blown reads on the read option. Yes, the play calling has been horrible, but some of this is on the players. 

Yes the players aren't executing, but execution is a reflection of how you've prepared. Also, the coaches aren't helping them by playing to their strengths. I think we've covered this pretty thoroughly now. Players aren't clicking and the coaches are leaving a lot to be desired. It's team game and we need to get it together.

Edited by Roaming Bull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  24

Everyone is freaking out but we did fix issues coming out of the first half (My analysis below). I was at the game like many of you. It was raining pretty hard from about an hour before kickoff up until about 4 minutes till halftime. We were extremely 1 dimensional and were only running because Q kept missing pretty make able throws. My concern which I still think can be fixed in Guard and Centers winning the line of scrimmage. Yes, we should have still been able to run all over them but they had a great plan in the first half to stack the box. We can grow from this. 

Drive 1 - We push through 5 plays for 25 yards and then Q throws a terrible pick on 1st down intended for either Salomon or McCants. This kills the drive

Drive 2 - TD

Drive 3 - FG

Drive 4 - TD 

Drive 5 - Punt

Drive 6 - Punt

Drive 7 - TD

We also went from 12 punts last game to 7 this game. This is progress. We just need to learn to start fast and keep going. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Neolsky and whose your data- you're missing the story line and the point and the messaging.  Adaptation is the talking point.  Not CWT or not giving Strong enough leash or other. Front and center: what you're doing isn't working so start thinking outside the frame.

oppositional is easy- reasoning is far more difficult.  

This is what irrelevant teams argue about... fact is buck stops at Strongs door.  Man up fans. Team sucks against two high school teams.  You want to be UCF then continue mentally masturdating arguments why everything is ok after these two outcomes over these two irrelevant opponents.  This is just sad to have to argue about near misses out stony and San Jose state.

Also this isn't a new coach.  This is a seasoned coach with more than a decade to figure in the majors how to beat the likes of Stony Brook and SJSU.  You guys sound like Holtz holdouts and the fact that you're somehow acting like we had close games with the likes of relevant teams makes me just sad.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 3