• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Our NEW Basketball HC is....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

15 hours ago, Vega said:

Or how many possible coaches they could have gotten interest from since they were more then capable of putting a good package deal together. 

Patience like life....good things come to those who just have the patience to wait. We'll see if the opposite takes place here.

This is my biggest problem with this hire.  Gregory wasn't exactly a hot name and probably would've been there in a few weeks.  You need to at least test the market and see who may have interest.  You never know who you could have if you don't at least ask.  Could Gregory be the only coach willing to walk into this dumpster fire?  Maybe.  But there could also be a guy like McCall or Dooley who want a bigger challenge, bigger salary, more resources etc. regardless of our circumstances.  Or a guy like Crean who may want to get back to work immediately etc

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Only a few days left to piss and moan about the hire. Get it out of your system..I know I have Soon, it will be time to get behind this coach and move forward. I hope he is making calls and visiting potential players and hitting the recruiting trail hard. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,566
  • Days Won:  423

25 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

This is my biggest problem with this hire.  Gregory wasn't exactly a hot name and probably would've been there in a few weeks.  You need to at least test the market and see who may have interest.  You never know who you could have if you don't at least ask.  Could Gregory be the only coach willing to walk into this dumpster fire?  Maybe.  But there could also be a guy like McCall or Dooley who want a bigger challenge, bigger salary, more resources etc. regardless of our circumstances.  Or a guy like Crean who may want to get back to work immediately etc

What am I missing on all this Dooley love? He was mediocre at ECU. He's been at FGCU 4 years with 4 post season appearances, CIT, NIT, 2 NCAA's but only one win, an NCAA play in game. How is that better than CBG's resume? Same with McCall .... and Crean is part of the Izzo coaching tree so therefor undesirable.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

Well, I was bellyaching to myself about how much USF was paying. But now I see that the program our cash cow, I'm okay with it.

As for who we hired, it's all speculation at this point (about the results we'll get). Hopefully, our Athletics heads (the AD and the lady with the sailboat) made the right decision. It would look really bad if they strike out again and make Antigua look like a great hire...

Just be happy that men's bball makes money. That's the take away here!

2 minutes ago, Triple B said:

What am I missing on all this Dooley love? He was mediocre at ECU. He's been at FGCU 4 years with 4 post season appearances, CIT, NIT, 2 NCAA's but only one win, an NCAA play in game. How is that better than CBG's resume? Same with McCall .... and Crean is part of the Izzo coaching tree so therefor undesirable.

2 NCAA's with low level talent.  What I like about him is his teams are FL heavy, athletic, fun to watch, and can play with anybody. The also aren't afraid of the moment and play VERY hard.   They gave FSU all they could handle and this FSU team is VERY good and deep.  On talent alone they had no business being in that game last night.  They also put a decent scare into North Carolina last season before their talent allowed them to pull away.  I like McCall because he's got FL ties and is a good up and comer that also plays an exciting brand of basketball.  I like young hungry coaches when it comes to rebuidling jobs (CWT anybody?). Crean has a better resume period and the Izzo Tree thing I'm assuming is a joke I don't get the reference to since Gregory is Izzo tree too?  

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

20 hours ago, Ionbull said:

It doesn't matter where you recruit, it's getting them into the program, eligible and successful while HERE. The problem with xCOA is his players never made it to to campus; and when they did some had eligibility problems or team rule violations.

The problem with xCOA was pretty much everything!

1 hour ago, Bull Dozer said:

2 NCAA's with low level talent.  What I like about him is his teams are FL heavy, athletic, fun to watch, and can play with anybody. The also aren't afraid of the moment and play VERY hard.   They gave FSU all they could handle and this FSU team is VERY good and deep.  On talent alone they had no business being in that game last night.  They also put a decent scare into North Carolina last season before their talent allowed them to pull away.  I like McCall because he's got FL ties and is a good up and comer that also plays an exciting brand of basketball.  I like young hungry coaches when it comes to rebuidling jobs (CWT anybody?). Crean has a better resume period and the Izzo Tree thing I'm assuming is a joke I don't get the reference to since Gregory is Izzo tree too?  

I think if this was the hire 3 years ago, either one of those would have been perfect because of the set up Stan left. I just think our situation now is more suited for someone who's got a longer, more successful track record.

And the Crean thing was indeed a joke. One of our board "experts" thinks being part of the Izzo tree is a cause of concern for our hire.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,011
  • Days Won:  469

2 hours ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

The problem with xCOA was pretty much everything!

He just needed more time....

57 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I think if this was the hire 3 years ago, either one of those would have been perfect because of the set up Stan left. I just think our situation now is more suited for someone who's got a longer, more successful track record.

And the Crean thing was indeed a joke. One of our board "experts" thinks being part of the Izzo tree is a cause of concern for our hire.

Just a difference in philosophy here.  

12 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Just a difference in philosophy here.  

Yep .... Problem is you only get one shot at this rebuild, at this point in time, so hopefully the philosophy we went with works.