• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Harlan to Arizona?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

21 minutes ago, Bourbon Bull said:

So far we've lost our tennis and soccer coaches and he hired and fired COA.  You and I could have hired CCS especially after FCWT called him to tell him to take the job. Jury is still out.  

link?  IIRC, FCWT was trying to hire him as his DC

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

23 minutes ago, Bourbon Bull said:

So far we've lost our tennis and soccer coaches and he hired and fired COA.  You and I could have hired CCS especially after FCWT called him to tell him to take the job. Jury is still out.  

In fairness he upgraded by hiring the guy who beat our former coach in soccer. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 hour ago, Bourbon Bull said:

Didn't he also hire baseball and golf? Those both look to be pretty solid hires.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

1 minute ago, JTrue said:

Didn't he also hire baseball and golf? Those both look to be pretty solid hires.

Kingston is definitely his

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

50 minutes ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

In fairness he upgraded by hiring the guy who beat our former coach in soccer. 

10 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Pretty sure our soccer team ended up being ranked a year or two - even when losing matches to FGCU.  Bradley and Kingston are his hires.  Bradley has definitely been a good hire, great coach and great ambassador for USF.  Jury is out on most of the other hires.  Kingston seems to be a good hire but injuries hurt the pitching staff big time last year.  

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

50 minutes ago, Bourbon Bull said:

Pretty sure our soccer team ended up being ranked a year or two - even when losing matches to FGCU.  Bradley and Kingston are his hires.  Bradley has definitely been a good hire, great coach and great ambassador for USF.  Jury is out on most of the other hires.  Kingston seems to be a good hire but injuries hurt the pitching staff big time last year.  

In fairness, both the tennis and soccer coach left for Power 5 programs (ASU and NCST). It is going to become even more difficult to retain quality coaches as the gap in resources between the P5 and G5 continues to grow over the next decade. He seemingly made a good hire in getting Butehorn from FGCU. 

I agree that it is too early to say that CCS was a "great" hire, but it is not even arguable that it was a "splash" hire. We have gained national attention because of the hire and that will continue into next season. Certainly, Strong was the biggest name that we could have reasonably hoped to have landed, and we get a sweetheart of a deal to see how he pans out. 

Guest PCBull14
5 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

In fairness, both the tennis and soccer coach left for Power 5 programs (ASU and NCST). It is going to become even more difficult to retain quality coaches as the gap in resources between the P5 and G5 continues to grow over the next decade. He seemingly made a good hire in getting Butehorn from FGCU. 

I agree that it is too early to say that CCS was a "great" hire, but it is not even arguable that it was a "splash" hire. We have gained national attention because of the hire and that will continue into next season. Certainly, Strong was the biggest name that we could have reasonably hoped to have landed, and we get a sweetheart of a deal to see how he pans out. 

Fair assessment completely agree with this. I think Butehorn is going to work out to be a pretty good hire. Was hoping he'd stay around to get another crack at a basketball hire.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

48 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

No question is was a splash and, more than likely, a good hire.  But in one of the earlier comments I made I mentioned that you or I would have made that hire.  It was an easy decision and pretty much fell into our laps with the way the money worked out from Texas, etc.  Can't think of any other AD in the country that wouldn't have done the same thing.  

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

Just now, Bourbon Bull said:

No question is was a splash and, more than likely, a good hire.  But in one of the earlier comments I made I mentioned that you or I would have made that hire.  It was an easy decision and pretty much fell into our laps with the way the money worked out from Texas, etc.  Can't think of any other AD in the country that wouldn't have done the same thing.  

Yes, but he had to sell Strong on coming here and getting Texas to agree to the financial arrangement. Keep in mind, he is essentially coaching here for free until the Texas buyout lapses. While he said he didn't want to take any time off from coaching, we weren't his only suitor. So, while the decision to hire him was an easy one, getting the agreement in place wasn't a guarantee. For that, Harlan deserves credit. 

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

• Upvote 2