• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Basketball Coaching Search

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  298
  • Days Won:  1

14 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Wow. What was he making at TT?

and we'll never have that kind of money sitting around as long as we keep paying ex-coaches ...

he was making 1.8 million at Texas Tech but after taking them to the NCAA tourney, Tech wanted to extend his contract at 2 million per year. Memphis had to come in high because the list got kinda rough after Tubby...Jeff Capel? Penny Hardaway?...No Thanks! I'll take the coach who's taken 5 programs to the NCAA tourney, 3 programs to the Sweet 16, and has an NCAA title to his credit.

if I remember right it just goes up 100k every year at Memphis: 2.8 million year one, 2.9 million year two, 3 million in year three, and so on from there.

Tubby says he wants to retire before 70, so I believe he will retire in mid April 2021 after 5 seasons with Memphis (that also happens to be the length of his contract)...he turns 70 one month later at the end of June.

I just don't think Tubby wants to be like Larry Brown, coaching at 75...so IMHO, Tubby knows this is his last/best chance at another deep NCAA run.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

43 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Wow. What was he making at TT?

and we'll never have that kind of money sitting around as long as we keep paying ex-coaches ...

That should all be done by time the money from FCWT comes to USF to pay off FFCSH, FBBCSH and FBBCOA

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,545
  • Days Won:  423

26 minutes ago, UofMemphis said:

he was making 1.8 million at Texas Tech but after taking them to the NCAA tourney, Tech wanted to extend his contract at 2 million per year. Memphis had to come in high because the list got kinda rough after Tubby...Jeff Capel? Penny Hardaway?...No Thanks!

What, no Matt McCall??  ;)

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  298
  • Days Won:  1

22 minutes ago, Triple B said:

What, no Matt McCall??  ;)

the problem with both McCall and Forbes for Memphis was that they were both in their 1st season at their schools...had Pastner left THIS season, Tubby would have already signed that extension at TTU, and McCall/Forbes would both have good shots at being our HC.

34 minutes ago, UofMemphis said:

the problem with both McCall and Forbes for Memphis was that they were both in their 1st season at their schools...had Pastner left THIS season, Tubby would have already signed that extension at TTU, and McCall/Forbes would both have good shots at being our HC.

After really looking at McCall, waaaaaay too much Gator blood in him for my liking. Putting all my eggs in the Anthony Grant basket right now ... seems like the perfect fit for both of us at this point in time.

One good thing about a McCall or Forbes though, is that they're used to playing before similar crowds to ours ... although both are averaging more than us I think at this point. As I've stated before, I just hope MH is dead level honest with the new hire about the historical support and the uphill battle he'll be facing. If USF football is a sleeping giant, USF hoops is a comatose one ...

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

4 minutes ago, Triple B said:

[...] Putting all my eggs in the Anthony Grant basket right now ... seems like the perfect fit for both of us at this point in time. [...]

I wonder why he couldn't make ago of it at 'Bama? Though, by our standards of cursedness (yes, it's a word @ USF), he would be appreciated.

2009–10 Alabama 17–15 6–10 T–4th (West)  
2010–11 Alabama 25–12 12–4 1st (West) NIT Runner–up
2011–12 Alabama 21–12 9–7 5th NCAA 2nd Round
2012–13 Alabama 23–13 12–6 T–2nd NIT Quarterfinals
2013–14 Alabama 13–19 7–11 T–10th  
2014–15 Alabama 18–14 8–10 T–8th NIT 2nd Round*

44 minutes ago, FarEastBull said:

I wonder why he couldn't make ago of it at 'Bama? Though, by our standards of cursedness (yes, it's a word @ USF), he would be appreciated.

2009–10 Alabama 17–15 6–10 T–4th (West)  
2010–11 Alabama 25–12 12–4 1st (West) NIT Runner–up
2011–12 Alabama 21–12 9–7 5th NCAA 2nd Round
2012–13 Alabama 23–13 12–6 T–2nd NIT Quarterfinals
2013–14 Alabama 13–19 7–11 T–10th  
2014–15 Alabama 18–14 8–10 T–8th NIT 2nd Round*

Alabama is a football first school. He will be fine here ...

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Bob Huggins 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Everyone acting like there are only a handful of coaches to choose from. Harlan will wait until after the NCAA tournament to see who gets fired/wants a new challenge to see who else will be available. 

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

6 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Everyone acting like there are only a handful of coaches to choose from. Harlan will wait until after the NCAA tournament to see who gets fired/wants a new challenge to see who else will be available. 

And Bartow gets a two month audition