• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Basketball Coaching Search

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,520
  • Days Won:  28

2 hours ago, UofMemphis said:

because I can tell you all about Anthony Grant.

I mean, Stan Heath has an NCAA title as an asst under Izzo...took Kent State to an Elite Eight, and Arkansas to back-to-back NCAAs.

if you want another fired SEC coach, go for it...but it'll end 

Anthony has had waaaay more success than Heath. But if u feek they are the same then cool. But he would definitely change the program for the better

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  298
  • Days Won:  1

59 minutes ago, HatterGator said:

Comparing Bartow to Grant is kinda ridiculous. Bartow had a "nice little program" at ETSU with two regular season conference championships in twelve years. Grant was a star at VCU, winning the regular season conference championship each of the three years he was there.

Grant was a part of chamionships at Florida, is from the Miami area, and can sell NBA experience.

And he had Alabama 12-4 in the SEC and in the NIT championship in his second year. The wheels fell off after Lacey transferred, but he was hardly a disaster there.

He might not have the ceiling of some of the younger names being thrown around, but he's a better bet to turn the program around than Bartow.

again, I'd much rather have a successful up-and-comer over yet another fired SEC coach...

what's the problem with McCall? he's 39-9 at UT-Chatt, including an NCAA tourney, with experience under Mike Jarvis and Billy D...plus, he's never been fired.

but as I said, if a retread is really what you want Anthony Grant > Orlando Antigua...but I'd give Bartow a shot since he's already Interim Head Coach.

note: I'm biased towards Bartow since I remember my Tigers playing his UAB squads in the late 90s and early 2000s...his teams we're fundamentally solid, and best described as 'scrappy'...he seemed to carry that on at ETSU.

Edited by UofMemphis

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Days Won:  0

McCall would be a homerun hire but I have a feeling he's going to hold out for an ACC or SEC job.

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

9 hours ago, Polkcountybull said:

Linc Darner coach at Wisconsin Green Bay could be worth a look.  He won a Division 2 National Title at Florida Southern in 2015 and took Green Bay to the NCAA tournament last year. 

One of my friends in the 80s, when I attended USF, was Wisconsin's HC Steve Yoder's son. He's the director of operations of MBB now at U of Houston.  Just reminded me of that when you mentioned Wisconsin.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4

And Grant is both more qualified and a better fit than Bartow. You talk about Grant being fired from Alabama. Well, Bartow was just "convinced to retire" from ETSU. Nothing about his track record suggests he'd even get this program to Heath levels.

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

Anthony Grant. From Miami. Recruited Florida heavily for Gators (Billy Donovan) and had a great run at VCU. 

Now coaching at OKC. That should have serious clout with recruits. 

Nothing to lose. Hire him now! Let him get a head start on recruiting.

JMHO

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Joey's Top 5

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/five-potential-replacements-for-orlando-antigua/2308269

David Grace, UCLA assistant
...covets the Bulls job...

Richard Pitino, Minnesota coach
...has wanted this job badly in the past, and has some prominent bay area connections, we're told...

Anthony Grant, Oklahoma City Thunder assistant
...strong candidate....

Murry Bartow, USF assistant
...interim coach, why wouldn't he garner some consideration...

Stan Jones, FSU assistant
...in-state connections...

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

How could we go wrong with Pitino? Does he buy hookers for recruits on Official Visits like his dad?

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  406

3 minutes ago, 206BULL said:

How could we go wrong with Pitino? Does he buy hookers for recruits on Official Visits like his dad?

If it brought a natty would you complain? I'd pitch in for one

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  298
  • Days Won:  1

44 minutes ago, HatterGator said:

And Grant is both more qualified and a better fit than Bartow. You talk about Grant being fired from Alabama. Well, Bartow was just "convinced to retire" from ETSU. Nothing about his track record suggests he'd even get this program to Heath levels.

as I said in my first post, I would go with Matt McCall...but Grant would at least be a major upgrade over Antigua.