• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Basketball Coaching Search

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,552
  • Days Won:  423

1 hour ago, Apis Bull said:

I'm not usually one for mid-season firings, but this accomplishes two things IMO.  One, it gives Bartow a fair shot at showing he deserves consideration and two, it puts us first in line, so to speak, for a coach at the end of the season.

When is the NBA season over, in regards to have a bearing on Grant?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  298
  • Days Won:  1

6 hours ago, Triple B said:

When is the NBA season over, in regards to have a bearing on Grant?

NBA regular season ends like mid-April. Playoffs normally go til the end of May.

If he's just an Asst, there's no reason to not just start the hiring process now.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, UofMemphis said:

NBA regular season ends like mid-April. Playoffs normally go til the end of May.

If he's just an Asst, there's no reason to not just start the hiring process now.

This is true. Waiting till near summer to hire a head coach is not very wise.

6 hours ago, UofMemphis said:

MH is probably, though, going to give Bartow a shot with these last couple of months as an audition so unless he's dead set on Grant, or another NBA asst, not looking for a replacement until March.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

Grant looks like a good match for us. But does he want to come to USF?

I honestly don't know what and who it would take to change us into a winning program. I thought for sure when we got the facilities built that it was the game changer for us (no pun intended). Instead, we've regressed back to the stone ages.

11 hours ago, Triple B said:

MH is probably, though, going to give Bartow a shot with these last couple of months as an audition so unless he's dead set on Grant, or another NBA asst, not looking for a replacement until March.

but the remaining season is what...60 days?

60 days goes quick, and I would be already reaching out to candidates now (of course, that may already be happening)

after thinking about it, Grant may be the perfect pick. Candidates like Matt McCall will want you to wait until their team is done playing in whatever tourney they end up in...you can reach out to Grant right now to gauge interest.

Edited by UofMemphis

17 minutes ago, UofMemphis said:

but the remaining season is what...60 days?

60 days goes quick, and I would be already reaching out to candidates now (of course, that may already be happening)

after thinking about it, Grant may be the perfect pick. Candidates like Matt McCall will want you to wait until their team is done playing in whatever tourney they end up in...you can reach out to Grant right now to gauge interest.

Kind of a tricky situation for Harlan, unless he's already got his mind set on someone approachable now, like Grant, no matter how Bartow does. This is why I'm not a fan of mid season firings ... although not a real big problem with this one.

4 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Kind of a tricky situation for Harlan, unless he's already got his mind set on someone approachable now, like Grant, no matter how Bartow does. This is why I'm not a fan of mid season firings ... although not a real big problem with this one.

not really...the assumption from everywhere that I've read is USF became aware of something linking Antigua to the NCAA investigation into academic fraud...that explains the immediate firing, and will probably mean USF was able to fire for cause saving them some $$$.

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/College-Basketball/2017/01/04/South-Florida-fires-Orlando-Antigua-amid-academic-fraud-investigation/2421483510031/

your AD didn't just wake up and decide Antigua didn't win enough.

Edited by UofMemphis

4 minutes ago, UofMemphis said:

not really...the assumption from everywhere that I've read is USF became aware of something linking Antigua to the NCAA investigation into academic fraud...that explains the immediate firing, and will probably mean USF was able to fire for cause saving them some $$$.

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/College-Basketball/2017/01/04/South-Florida-fires-Orlando-Antigua-amid-academic-fraud-investigation/2421483510031/

your AD didn't just wake up and decide Antigua didn't win enough.

It's not the firing that was tricky, it's the hiring. If you really want to give Bartow a legit shot, I don't think you can do a whole lot of reaching out ... although this is where the search firm earns its keep with the separation.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

27 minutes ago, Triple B said:

It's not the firing that was tricky, it's the hiring. If you really want to give Bartow a legit shot, I don't think you can do a whole lot of reaching out ... although this is where the search firm earns its keep with the separation.

You can still reach out to candidates for interviewing.