• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grothe fires shots

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,080
  • Days Won:  39

32 minutes ago, charsibb said:

November and December? Not so much...

Well we take what we can get in Bulls country.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

19 hours ago, Triple B said:

Wow, been away for a couple of days and expected the usual board meltdown but was kind of shocked by this thread. Wouldn't have a had a problem if it was MG just expressing the disappointment in the way the team played but the "personalizing" with the 2007 team was pretty bush league. Fact is, that 2007 team had the college football world by the **** and **** the bed so I'm not sure I'd be bringing attention to it.

Just as a refresher, went back and checked the pbp of the start of the bed crapping that year. Everybody likes to point at the illegal propulsion as the game killer but I had forgotten that was in the first half. Reality was, down 27-30, with around a minute and a half left in game, we get the ball at midfield ........ and MG's offense promptly drove -27 yds, ending in an interception, that was basically a punt.

Year to year comparisons are pretty hard to realistically do

Not saying that we didn't have a chance to win the game at the end Triple B, but here's my revisionist history versus yours. If I recall correctly, Grothe completed a deep pass on 4th down to Amarri Jackson that was called back on a questionable offensive pass inference call. Asking anyone to complete two consecutive 20-yard plus passes in a row on 4th down and 20+ is asking a lot. 

Now back to the first half. If that illegal forward propulsion call doesn't go against us, we're up two TD's against Rutgers with under four minutes to play in the first half. There is no way Ray Rice is getting 39 carries at that point. Instead on that drive, everyone's favorite FG kicker decided he wanted to miss another FG. Instead of a 14-point lead, Rutgers capitalizes on the Alvarado miss and gets three points of their own. Tell me what coach is feeding their back 39 times when they are down two TD's and not getting the ball back with the second half kickoff? That call changed the game... 

You can pin the loss on Grothe in the last minute, but he made a play when it counted on the last drive. The officials saw otherwise with Amarri. That is when the game was finally taken away from us...

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

^^^^

Sherrif,

I'll never forget that night at the watch party watching those instant replays and feeling robbed.   Those mojitos didn't help. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Grothe literally came after me ( a measly internet message board poster) on this board within the past year (or 2?) about something I said I think in 2008.  So yea, not surprised by his bitterness. 

No doubt he has a pretty big stake in diminishing any of the accomplishments of QF. 

I understand his frustration but it was phrased very poorly.  Just another in a long line of bad decisions by the guy...

Edited by beastiebull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

34 minutes ago, beastiebull said:

Grothe literally came after me ( a measly internet message board poster) on this board within the past year (or 2?) about something I said I think in 2008.  So yea, not surprised by his bitterness. 

I have no idea why something like that would have ever happened.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

1 hour ago, beastiebull said:

No doubt he has a pretty big stake in diminishing any of the accomplishments of QF. 

I understand his frustration but it was phrased very poorly.  Just another in a long line of bad decisions by the guy...

I was wondering where the heck you've been ...

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Revisionist history is just that. History. 

We have never won 10 games is a season. 1st team to do that will be memorable. 

We have never won a conference championship.  1st team to do that will be historic.

We have never won a national championship.  1st team to do that will be epic. 

This team still has a chance to win 10 games and a conference championship. Root hard.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

5 hours ago, The Sheriff said:

Not saying that we didn't have a chance to win the game at the end Triple B, but here's my revisionist history versus yours. If I recall correctly, Grothe completed a deep pass on 4th down to Amarri Jackson that was called back on a questionable offensive pass inference call. Asking anyone to complete two consecutive 20-yard plus passes in a row on 4th down and 20+ is asking a lot. 

Now back to the first half. If that illegal forward propulsion call doesn't go against us, we're up two TD's against Rutgers with under four minutes to play in the first half. There is no way Ray Rice is getting 39 carries at that point. Instead on that drive, everyone's favorite FG kicker decided he wanted to miss another FG. Instead of a 14-point lead, Rutgers capitalizes on the Alvarado miss and gets three points of their own. Tell me what coach is feeding their back 39 times when they are down two TD's and not getting the ball back with the second half kickoff? That call changed the game... 

You can pin the loss on Grothe in the last minute, but he made a play when it counted on the last drive. The officials saw otherwise with Amarri. That is when the game was finally taken away from us...

A coach with Ray Rice as that back. Thing is, if we do score the td there, there's still 4 minutes left in the half and there is no way to know if Rutgers doesn't score another td in that time. Saying that call changed the game is not very defensible. However, if you want to label the "bogus" PI call on AJ as a game changer, hard to argue and that's probably where all the officiating bashing should have been focused all these years. They still went to Storrs as a top 10 team and gave the Huskies their first win ever over a ranked team. Bottom line is that it's hard to declare one team better than another, with so many years in between, and even more baseless when the year isn't even over yet.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

5 hours ago, The Sheriff said:

Well, yeah.  But if we hadn't gotten into a 4th down situation to begin with...