• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Local Media Support

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,077
  • Days Won:  14

The crowd was pathetic.  Even the students.  I hope it was somewhat related to the hurricane, but it was still bad.

What worse (already mentioned) is that an NFL stadium has clubs and so many common areas for fans to hide and seek shade.  So the crowd appears even worse than it already is.

But since this thread is about local media support, I wanted to contribute this:  I just got my bill for my TBT subscription and I will not be renewing.  Part of it is non sports-related (probably mad cow stuff) but the other part is the way they treat USF sports (the local division 1 university) like a cute little wanna-be brother compared to UF and FSU.  I swear on Saturday there was more about the UF cancellation and of course more about the big FSU/Miami game than the 1inch by 2 inch mention that we were playing at RayJay at noon.  I know most will say because that's what the readers want, blah blah blah, but this is our local University.  At least be a cheerleader and hype the games.  Louisville's local paper would hype the crap out of UL when we used to play them, and they have an SEC team in the state (UK).  I don't know.  The only way to show them how I feel is to kick them in the wallet, so that's what I'm doing.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

1 minute ago, MaltLiquorBull said:

The crowd was pathetic.  Even the students.  I hope it was somewhat related to the hurricane, but it was still bad.

What worse (already mentioned) is that an NFL stadium has clubs and so many common areas for fans to hide and seek shade.  So the crowd appears even worse than it already is.

But since this thread is about local media support, I wanted to contribute this:  I just got my bill for my TBT subscription and I will not be renewing.  Part of it is non sports-related (probably mad cow stuff) but the other part is the way they treat USF sports (the local division 1 university) like a cute little wanna-be brother compared to UF and FSU.  I swear on Saturday there was more about the UF cancellation and of course more about the big FSU/Miami game than the 1inch by 2 inch mention that we were playing at RayJay at noon.  I know most will say because that's what the readers want, blah blah blah, but this is our local University.  At least be a cheerleader and hype the games.  Louisville's local paper would hype the crap out of UL when we used to play them, and they have an SEC team in the state (UK).  I don't know.  The only way to show them how I feel is to kick them in the wallet, so that's what I'm doing.

A noon game for anything other than a top school won't draw students. They're the worst of the worst when comes to fair weather fans.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

18 hours ago, Paisa el Toro said:

If our fans were more vocal about demanding local coverage, I think we would have more local media hype.

It is what it is.  Our writers are spending time having fun with each other, making fun of USF and its fans.  They don't get it.  With an idol like McMurphy, what do you expect? 

I don't think complaining accomplishes anything other than making you a punchline among the very folks you're asking to care.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,634
  • Days Won:  3

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 7:36 AM, Boomer said:

So WDAE 620 just cancelled the Tom Jones and Rick Stroud morning show and are now replacing it with the nationally syndicated Mike & Mike show. 

I hope this is temporary - bad local media coverage is better than none. 

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

No, it's not ......

Well, I guess it depends on how bad it is.  And it was bad, but I was thinking about how I could at least count on one or two mornings each week of hearing CWT on 620 at 7:45.  They also gave USF tickets out.  We had to hear their snarky comments about attendance and other things that would get under my skin but it was something that I could hope would improve.

But the bigger picture is that I could listen to other local sports instead of a national station discussing things not as important to me.  This morning I heard more about David Ortiz and his possible retirement than the Bucs game last night.

Is there another sports station in Tampa that has local sports talk during the morning drive?

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,467
  • Days Won:  25

2 hours ago, Brad said:

It is what it is.  Our writers are spending time having fun with each other, making fun of USF and its fans.  They don't get it.  With an idol like McMurphy, what do you expect? 

I don't think complaining accomplishes anything other than making you a punchline among the very folks you're asking to care.

One or two of us complaining, I agree. A few thousand e-mails to the editor I think would have an effect. I mean, why suddenly are they showing the announced attendance? 

http://www.tampabay.com/letters/

Try complaining here - EVERYBODY  STAMPEDE!

If you're not willing to let him know what you think, then stop whining on theBullsPen.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,653
  • Days Won:  424

5 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

One or two of us complaining, I agree. A few thousand e-mails to the editor I think would have an effect. I mean, why suddenly are they showing the announced attendance? 

They've always showed the announced attendance .... with the actual figures coming after checking with the TSA. 

6 minutes ago, Triple B said:

They've always showed the announced attendance .... with the actual figures coming after checking with the TSA. 

I can't prove it one way or the other. Simply going from memory, which is not what it used to be. I can remember trying to find announced only after seeing, and reading, about low attendance.

Just now, Ned A Starr said:

BBB is correct!

Never a doubt.

GO BULLS!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,653
  • Days Won:  424

7 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

I can't prove it one way or the other. Simply going from memory, which is not what it used to be. I can remember trying to find announced only after seeing, and reading, about low attendance.

I can fully commiserate with the memory thing but it was always just the announced attendance figure until at some point during the BM reign of terror when the actual started being requested from the TSA