• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Local Media Support

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

17 minutes ago, snarling Bull said:

I was told that the midnight concert kept the students away

Concerts look way cooler on your Instagrams and Snapchats I guess....  The students really disappointed me this weekend. They were representing so well so far this season. Hopefully they just weren't doing so for those FSU tickets..... 

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

The noon heat games will knock off some casual fans, but few die hards.  That said, at the FSU game, my wife started feeling puny after the first quarter and had to flee to the club area.  She never came back.

On the walk back to the car, she said, "Sorry, I love that you love your Bulls, but I can't do another noon game before November".

So, v ECU, I left her in Jupiter and I brought a friend of mine from St. Pete.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,552
  • Days Won:  423

3 hours ago, charsibb said:

Clearly, ANY Thread can become an OCS thread...

I think it should be a mandate that every thread become an ocs thread ..... except the Rumors thread. You don't mess with almost peerfection.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

blackadder-confused.gif

¿Que?

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

Amazing to me that local media continue to be surprised that attendance to pretty much any sporting event in Tampa (including USF football), particularly on Saturdays at noon, is hit or miss. Are they really that dense? 

Look! The sky is blue! SHOCKING!

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

What about the Bucs and Rays **** attendance? Oh wait, they're professionals and as such it can be over looked. :icon_drink:

Our media personnel are crap. :facepalm:

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Azmodi said:

What about the Bucs and Rays **** attendance? Oh wait, they're professionals and as such it can be over looked. :icon_drink:

Our media personnel are crap. :facepalm:

Right. I guess my broader point is that SHAMING people into going to sports events doesn't work. Never has and never will.

They have to want to go. Having a good team (finally) is just one (important) part of the equation, particularly in a place like Tampa. Like the Lightning, we'll need to field a competitive team for several years and work hard to develop the fanbase. You can't just be halfway through a winning season, snap your fingers, and claim sellouts.

Plus, to compare attendance at USF to attendance pretty much anywhere else is foolish at best, and dishonest at worst. It isn't an apples to apples comparison - given the teams we play, our relative lack of history and tradition, logistical issues, etc. The problem is magnified with our apparently unique actual/announced attendance issue.

Bottom line: attendance needs to improve - no question. But we need to be patient and, in the meantime, think of creative ways to ENCOURAGE people to WANT to come. Local media generally don't give two ***** about USF, so it's much easier and fun for them to just shame us and hold our fanbase to unrealistic standards.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

51 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

Right. I guess my broader point is that SHAMING people into going to sports events doesn't work. Never has and never will.

They have to want to go. Having a good team (finally) is just one (important) part of the equation, particularly in a place like Tampa. Like the Lightning, we'll need to field a competitive team for several years and work hard to develop the fanbase. You can't just be halfway through a winning season, snap your fingers, and claim sellouts.

Plus, to compare attendance at USF to attendance pretty much anywhere else is foolish at best, and dishonest at worst. It isn't an apples to apples comparison - given the teams we play, our relative lack of history and tradition, logistical issues, etc. The problem is magnified with our apparently unique actual/announced attendance issue.

Bottom line: attendance needs to improve - no question. But we need to be patient and, in the meantime, think of creative ways to ENCOURAGE people to WANT to come. Local media generally don't give two ***** about USF, so it's much easier and fun for them to just shame us and hold our fanbase to unrealistic standards.

^This and how about not ******** on the few fans that you have when;

1, There's a huge freaking hurricane effecting most of the eastern part of the state, where many of these students parents and family live.

2, Trying not to have multiple sporting events on the same day competing for interest.

3, Noon is ******* hot in Florida until around X-Mas.

4, Try to interact with groups to encourage group/fan participation.

I could go on but, I'll stop here. Just look up the Lightning's plan and go from there.

Edited by Azmodi
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  125
  • Days Won:  0

Tampa sports media covers the pros, primarily.  After that, UF, FSU, and Miami get the coverage for college football in the Tampa Bay area for the most part.  That leaves USF way down on the totem pole.  It is what it is.  I have had season tickets for over 14 years and I will continue to enjoy my weekends with the Bulls.. if the local media can't catch on... so be it.  

Edited by Bullsgrad2001
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bullsgrad2001 said:

Tampa sports media covers the pros, primarily.  After that, UF, FSU, and Miami get the coverage for college football in the Tampa Bay area for the most part.  That leaves USF way down on the totem pole.  It is what it is.  I have had season tickets for over 14 years and I will continue to enjoy my weekends with the Bulls.. if the local media can't catch on... so be it.  

Good attitude, how I feel as well.