• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

We Have Better Players Now?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

My comment was entirely in reference to the statement that CWT freshman were snatching up CSH senior jobs all over the field. Not even in the ballpark of being true. Did some underclassmen recruited by CWT beat out older players recruited by CSH? Absolutely. I think some of that is a result of good recruiting by CWT (but I don't believe it's as big a gap as some others would argue) and some of it is simply CWT wanting "his guys" on the field. In the end, none of this **** matters. The recruiting arguments, the leader debates, hashtags with clever motivational quotes, busses... He needs to put up or shut up.

I hate to say this but actually agree with many of your statements ;-) I dont believe that CWT only put his guys out there bc they were his guys though. If they were better even slightly you play the slightly better guy and then being around for longer is a plus.

Since I misspoke though which I did not realize until Trip called out Data, I will pay pentance and spend some time later and to come up with a list of underclass men who started under CWT. Only bc I mispoke though lol

YOU ASKED FOR IT JT, SO ITS COMING. You want know when but its coming lol.

You might be able to call me on this one bc its off the top, but I think I remember Nate Godwin starting as a freshman...

Edited by Bull-Hornz

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,685
  • Days Won:  8

Just look at the QBs and running backs and line backers we have now compared to Holtz.

This team is much better than Holtz talent wise.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Just look at the QBs and running backs and line backers we have now compared to Holtz.

I'll give you the running backs.  But at every other position, you are merely being hopeful.  You have no proven execution at any other position to demonstrate this.  

Or you could point to AW, who was a Holtz recruit lost when CWT came in.  You would have to think that even if he had still gone west, he'd have come back home if Holtz was here.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,680
  • Days Won:  108

And we have 6 wins over 2 years to prove it.  

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

CSH was given a roster full of potential Heisman winners and went and signed a bunch of guys who had literally never played football in their entire lives. It speaks to CWT's coaching skills that he was able to squeeze 2 and 4 wins out of them.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

CSH was given a roster full of potential Heisman winners and went and signed a bunch of guys who had literally never played football in their entire lives. It speaks to CWT's coaching skills that he was able to squeeze 2 and 4 wins out of them.

So true.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,570
  • Days Won:  423

I think that's the OP's point, and a valid one, that until we see the improved results on the field, we don't really know ...

• Topic Count:  2,332
  • Content Count:  21,305
  • Days Won:  10

CSH came into a program that was at a point where every coach dreams of and the decided to take an approach to the program that failed.  He was a fantastic talker but clearly the players did not buy his BS and the ones he brought in were not that talented.  He struggled to recruit based on the coaching staff he put together. 

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I am certainly no defender of Taggart, but if you follow the team at all it was pretty evident that we were lacking athleticsm and definitely depth at most positions when Taggart arrived.

My opinion Taggart didn't really help improve things much on the field by trying to run a complicated, power offense with the personnel he had, but no doubt we were thin with talent and depth when he arrived.

Seems we have more raw athleticsm and football talent at most positions, but we are still pretty young and I am yet to be convinced that Taggart is anything more than a good recruiter, but Sun Belt Conference level game day coach.

This year will tell us a lot. Let's just hope it is entertaining.

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

I think that's the OP's point, and a valid one, that until we see the improved results on the field, we don't really know ...

Come on Trip do you expect in less than two years to replenish talent and win games. Regardless of the system there wasn't a team we played that couldn't hang with us and that is not how it use to be from a athletes point of view. Heck it use to be the opposite, the 1st string talent could hang with any one in the country for at least the first half and occasionally take them down. With the exception of a few players whom have graduated, we have raw athletes in most positions. So yes they have to win, but you have to be partially blind not to recognize the athleticism upgrade.