• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

We Have Better Players Now?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,570
  • Days Won:  423

Let's put it this way I think you can almost go position by position and look at the size speed and athleticism and see that the team has increased its "potential". And that is the key, we can't say much yet that they are better just that the potential overall seems to be on the level when CJL was here. The fact that he is getting hometown guys to stay or transfer into a program that is/was in the dirt when they have offers to other "major" unis is in my book impressive. For more evidence you have had freshman beat out CSH senior recruits all over the field. It's not a feeling brother you just got to look

So CWT is playing his guys over the previous coach's guys? Crazy.
Are you implying that CWT is playing "his guys" over better CSH recruited upper classmen? Regardless if he recruited them or not they are all his guys now and for the most part, he is gonna play whom ever gives him the best opportunity to win. If we are going to argue about that I will bow out now...with US Open starting tmrw and CFB around the corner I don't need spin my wheels much longer
I'm saying even if they're remotely equal, every coach plays his guys. And please elaborate on the freshman CWT brought in that were beating out CSH's seniors "all over the field."

My math might be off, but isn't CSH's true first class seniors right now? And not a single true freshman is starting.

Edit: Last year was his first class. Only freshman I can think that started was Mack.

There is a thread somewhere on CSH CWT receuiting classes that I tried to at least breakdown years etc. I am off to buy buttermilk for some waffles my wife is making hooray!!

I broke it down for you. Marlon Mack is the lone freshman starter the past two years.

That's not entirely accurate .... there were other Fr who started games here and there last year. If you expand it out to RFr, you even have a few more ... but hardly enough of both to quantify "all over". I think, the only two Fr of any kind to seriously contribute last year were Mack and Auggie.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I have a serious question that seems kinda related to this topic, but could go in the recruiting thread, I guess: 

When these 'star' ratings are compiled, yahoo, 247, espn, etc...do they take into account only athletic metrics? Production in HS, abilities such as the 40 and benching, potential for physical maturation as examples.  The reason why I ask is that I feel this may be the case, and that one can presume naturally that the higher number of starred athletes you bring in the higher % of them turn out successful/pro type players.  

But, these ratings may not take into consideration intangibles between the ears-not necessarily JUST static intelligence...but sense of accountability, team work, sacrifice, work ethic, and intelligence too of course-among others.  You hear things about certain schools and how they're run that suggests they look for certain types of players, not necessarily the highest profile players.  Now, I casually wrote that mindset off as compensation for not being able to attract the number of 4 and 5 star players many schools can attract.  But, maybe there is something to this-teams like Boise, Navy, NIU, ECU, and other directional schools have been putting out quality teams (some more than others) and in some cases a good number of NFL players despite lower ceiling players supposedly.  It can't all be chalked up to staff development, can it? These are college kids that have to balance education and being a kid a college with football growth.  What do you guys think?

They definitely take into account intangibles.  They take into account the likelihood that the recruit will be signed by or at least heavily recruited by a school that will bring lots of eyeballs to the site.  A recruiting "guru" from ESPN even admitted it a few years back.  There is some attempt to scout the players to imply and unbiased observation.  But it reality it is all about who is recruiting you.  If LSU and Alabama are looking at you, Bingo!  You will be at least a four star recruit.

Let's put it this way I think you can almost go position by position and look at the size speed and athleticism and see that the team has increased its "potential". And that is the key, we can't say much yet that they are better just that the potential overall seems to be on the level when CJL was here. The fact that he is getting hometown guys to stay or transfer into a program that is/was in the dirt when they have offers to other "major" unis is in my book impressive. For more evidence you have had freshman beat out CSH senior recruits all over the field. It's not a feeling brother you just got to look

Are you implying that CWT is playing "his guys" over better CSH recruited upper classmen? Regardless if he recruited them or not they are all his guys now and for the most part, he is gonna play whom ever gives him the best opportunity to win. If we are going to argue about that I will bow out now...with US Open starting tmrw and CFB around the corner I don't need spin my wheels much longer
I'm saying even if they're remotely equal, every coach plays his guys. And please elaborate on the freshman CWT brought in that were beating out CSH's seniors "all over the field."

My math might be off, but isn't CSH's true first class seniors right now? And not a single true freshman is starting.

Edit: Last year was his first class. Only freshman I can think that started was Mack.

There is a thread somewhere on CSH CWT receuiting classes that I tried to at least breakdown years etc. I am off to buy buttermilk for some waffles my wife is making hooray!!

I broke it down for you. Marlon Mack is the lone freshman starter the past two years.

That's not entirely accurate .... there were other Fr who started games here and there last year. If you expand it out to RFr, you even have a few more ... but hardly enough of both to quantify "all over". I think, the only two Fr of any kind to seriously contribute last year were Mack and Auggie.

Mike White was a Taggart recruit.

Mike White doesn't enter into this conversation. I think the two years JT is referring to as far as Fr starters is last year and this year ...

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

Dont do it Data...it's a black hole...it will suck the energy out of you :-P

I do apologies, I did not mean to limit the conversation to freshman, I just meant underclassmen and players in general that were recruited by CWT. It was in response to the OP asking about talent improvements...

I do apologies, I did not mean to limit the conversation to freshman, I just meant underclassmen and players in general that were recruited by CWT. It was in response to the OP asking about talent improvements...

Honestly, talent improvements should translate to results, ie play on the field, so I can't see how we can say, definitively, we've had much yet ... This should/better be the year it shows or it will be up to the next coach to show that we have improved talent or not.

Honestly, talent improvements should translate to results, ie play on the field, so I can't see how we can say, definitively, we've had much yet ... This should/better be the year it shows or it will be up to the next coach to show that we have improved talent or not.

Not gonna do it Trip...not gonna do it...lol

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

My comment was entirely in reference to the statement that CWT freshman were snatching up CSH senior jobs all over the field. Not even in the ballpark of being true. Did some underclassmen recruited by CWT beat out older players recruited by CSH? Absolutely. I think some of that is a result of good recruiting by CWT (but I don't believe it's as big a gap as some others would argue) and some of it is simply CWT wanting "his guys" on the field. In the end, none of this **** matters. The recruiting arguments, the leader debates, hashtags with clever motivational quotes, busses... He needs to put up or shut up. 

I understood that, hence the Mike White comment.