• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

We Have Better Players Now?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Let's put it this way I think you can almost go position by position and look at the size speed and athleticism and see that the team has increased its "potential". And that is the key, we can't say much yet that they are better just that the potential overall seems to be on the level when CJL was here. The fact that he is getting hometown guys to stay or transfer into a program that is/was in the dirt when they have offers to other "major" unis is in my book impressive. For more evidence you have had freshman beat out CSH senior recruits all over the field. It's not a feeling brother you just got to look 😉

So CWT is playing his guys over the previous coach's guys? Crazy.
Are you implying that CWT is playing "his guys" over better CSH recruited upper classmen? Regardless if he recruited them or not they are all his guys now and for the most part, he is gonna play whom ever gives him the best opportunity to win. If we are going to argue about that I will bow out now...with US Open starting tmrw and CFB around the corner I don't need spin my wheels much longer 😄
I'm saying even if they're remotely equal, every coach plays his guys. And please elaborate on the freshman CWT brought in that were beating out CSH's seniors "all over the field."

My math might be off, but isn't CSH's true first class seniors right now? And not a single true freshman is starting.

Edit: Last year was his first class. Only freshman I can think that started was Mack.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

You all under estimate the level of incompetence at the most important position on the field.

I can't speak for everyone, but I certainly do not underestimate cwt's incompetence.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

You all under estimate the level of incompetence at the most important position on the field.

I can't speak for everyone, but I certainly do not underestimate cwt's incompetence.

There is also something to be said for this, but stubbornness could be an underlying factor.

• Topic Count:  2,332
  • Content Count:  21,305
  • Days Won:  10

Went to the store and bought gourmet ingredients for a 5 star recipe, I hope CWT can cook them.   ;) .  We will find out if he is a chef or not.

Edited by Rizman

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,457
  • Days Won:  25

You're over thinking this and over looking the most important position on the field. Taggart has not had even average QB play, while his predecessors had the benefit of having two of the most prolific QBs in Big East and certainly USF history. I don't think its more complicated than that.

Kinda like that guy the Bucs have?

If the O-line sucks the QB will suck no matter who he is.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

True, but I can't remember a year when the o line was particularly strong

• Topic Count:  2,332
  • Content Count:  21,305
  • Days Won:  10

I do not ever remembering that.  Seems we struggle to get big men up front.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

You're over thinking this and over looking the most important position on the field. Taggart has not had even average QB play, while his predecessors had the benefit of having two of the most prolific QBs in Big East and certainly USF history. I don't think its more complicated than that.

Or Taggart's predecessors had better QB play because they could coach better and didn't have an insanely complicated offense.

I don't think it is more complicated than that.

So just anyone could have put up the total offense numbers that grothe and Daniels did? Bobby couldn't. Floyd couldn't handle a snap, mike white was a statue and we have a small sample of Bench and Flowers. I agree some of it is the system but not just anyone puts up 10000 yds in total offense over a career. We were lucky enough to have 2 guys capable of doing that.

We don't really know, unless we can play the season over again with those QBs and the Taggart offense.   The Taggart offense forced QBs to read the defense and adjust the play to the exact play needed in the situation.  Grothe ran a system that wasn't much more restrictive than sandlot ball, and BJ started out in one.  Both were also in pass happy offenses compared to the ground and pound we've run with Taggart.

You are comparing mangoes and avocados..

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I do not ever remembering that.  Seems we struggle to get big men up front.

Of course we do.  We are located in Florida, not the midwest.  And we haven't won a few national titles to be able to pull kids from all over.  But our Florida kids are fast.  Thus we should be running some variation of a spread offense to get those guys in space and make use of the talent we have.  Thank goodness CWT figured that out after only a mere two years of trying to fit square pegs in round holes.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  715
  • Days Won:  1

From what I have read, it appears we have more depth in most positions than we had in the past. The coaching changes will play a big part of this years performance. Coach Kinnan brings a clear fresh opinion to Coach T. Coach Allen on defense will be like night  and day. Coach Hope should be able to help the offence reach their maximum scoring ability with the talent we have. While at QB, we still have weakness. I believe we will see progress. Go Bulls!