• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Flowers is the Starter

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

I am serious and that was the article I was talking about. I may not have watched as much football as some of you oldtimers, but I don't think there is a position on offense that requires more leadership than the QB. I am interested to see how this goes, and hoping for the best.

Again, he is a true sophmore and this is not the NFL. If he's still the starter as a JR/SR I'm sure he'll feel more mature/comfortable and will be one of the leaders that step up. The captains/leaders usually come from upperclassmen in most cases. This is not a big deal at all.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  183
  • Days Won:  0

Yeah and to speak of Bench's mood, he was very visible and having fun at the soccer game on Friday watching the game. Doesn't seem like he's worrying about it too much

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Yeah and to speak of Bench's mood, he was very visible and having fun at the soccer game on Friday watching the game. Doesn't seem like he's worrying about it too much

I wouldn't either if I were him. Being named starter for first game has been totally meaningless the last couple years.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

I hope Captain Winky makes us happy!

Splitting hairs, but it's Wanky, and he's not the Capitan. Apparently he doesn't need to lead, just score TDs.

Are you referring to this article? http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/taggart-flowers-doesnt-have-to-lead/2243195

But one thing new Bulls starting QB Quinton Flowers won't be asked to do is lead. Coach Willie Taggart said that responsibility won't be heaped upon the sophomore's plate. At least not yet.

"We're not asking Quinton to be a leader," Taggart said after Friday morning's practice, the last before the Bulls convene at some point Sunday to begin normal game-week preparations.

"What we're asking Quinton to do is be the best football player he can be, be the best student he can be and have fun. We have a lot of other guys around here that can lead this football team. We're not asking him to do that."

So your QB doesn't need to be a leader? Wonder if he was told that when he was the QB at WKU?

As a true soph qb who just got the job after a close battle and wasn't handed the job for life, he needs to worry about leading the offense first and foremost. TEAM leadership will come down the line if/when he earns it. This is another one of those nitpicking things that make some people shake their head ...

You can shake your head all you want.  I always thought that the QB was the "field general".  Maybe college is different than pro in that regard.  But I was pretty surprised to read that.  Not a nitpicky thing to me.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Splitting hairs, but it's Wanky, and he's not the Capitan. Apparently he doesn't need to lead, just score TDs.
Are you referring to this article? http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/taggart-flowers-doesnt-have-to-lead/2243195

But one thing new Bulls starting QB Quinton Flowers won't be asked to do is lead. Coach Willie Taggart said that responsibility won't be heaped upon the sophomore's plate. At least not yet.

"We're not asking Quinton to be a leader," Taggart said after Friday morning's practice, the last before the Bulls convene at some point Sunday to begin normal game-week preparations.

"What we're asking Quinton to do is be the best football player he can be, be the best student he can be and have fun. We have a lot of other guys around here that can lead this football team. We're not asking him to do that."

So your QB doesn't need to be a leader? Wonder if he was told that when he was the QB at WKU?

As a true soph qb who just got the job after a close battle and wasn't handed the job for life, he needs to worry about leading the offense first and foremost. TEAM leadership will come down the line if/when he earns it. This is another one of those nitpicking things that make some people shake their head ...

You can shake your head all you want. I always thought that the QB was the "field general". Maybe college is different than pro in that regard. But I was pretty surprised to read that. Not a nitpicky thing to me.

Exactly. Whether they ask him to or not, Flowers is going to have to lead in some capacity to be playing QB. As Dr. Sheldon Cooper would say: "its axiomatic".

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

You can shake your head all you want.  I always thought that the QB was the "field general".  Maybe college is different than pro in that regard.  But I was pretty surprised to read that.  Not a nitpicky thing to me.

He is the field general .... for the offense. Team leadership is what was mentioned in the article, which I'm guessing is how the question was phrased to CWT. No need to repeat what I said above but both CPR and 206 also chimed in as to why there's no need for Q to be a TEAM leader as this point in his career ...

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I'd look at it more like conducting the plays, so that's kinda leadership. But as far as being looked up to as the guy with the answers, no. I like CWT's comments and advice to him, and if he does those things he'll have a pretty good perspective and be relaxed enough to lead when the time comes. But for now his list is full just learning how to be a general.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

If he makes plays, plays hard, and does things the right way, people will follow. You can call someone a leader all you want or ask him to lead, but in the end, it's not up to the coaches.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,612
  • Days Won:  51

Are you referring to this article? http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/taggart-flowers-doesnt-have-to-lead/2243195But one thing new Bulls starting QB Quinton Flowers won't be asked to do is lead. Coach Willie Taggart said that responsibility won't be heaped upon the sophomore's plate. At least not yet."We're not asking Quinton to be a leader," Taggart said after Friday morning's practice, the last before the Bulls convene at some point Sunday to begin normal game-week preparations."What we're asking Quinton to do is be the best football player he can be, be the best student he can be and have fun. We have a lot of other guys around here that can lead this football team. We're not asking him to do that."

He is the field general .... for the offense. Team leadership is what was mentioned in the article, which I'm guessing is how the question was phrased to CWT. No need to repeat what I said above but both CPR and 206 also chimed in as to why there's no need for Q to be a TEAM leader as this point in his career ...

I can't believe it, but for once I agree with Trip...