• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Flowers is the Starter

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,460
  • Days Won:  422

I hope Captain Winky makes us happy!

Splitting hairs, but it's Wanky, and he's not the Capitan. Apparently he doesn't need to lead, just score TDs.

Are you referring to this article? http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/taggart-flowers-doesnt-have-to-lead/2243195But one thing new Bulls starting QB Quinton Flowers won't be asked to do is lead. Coach Willie Taggart said that responsibility won't be heaped upon the sophomore's plate. At least not yet."We're not asking Quinton to be a leader," Taggart said after Friday morning's practice, the last before the Bulls convene at some point Sunday to begin normal game-week preparations."What we're asking Quinton to do is be the best football player he can be, be the best student he can be and have fun. We have a lot of other guys around here that can lead this football team. We're not asking him to do that."

So your QB doesn't need to be a leader? Wonder if he was told that when he was the QB at WKU?

As a true soph qb who just got the job after a close battle and wasn't handed the job for life, he needs to worry about leading the offense first and foremost. TEAM leadership will come down the line if/when he earns it. This is another one of those nitpicking things that make some people shake their head ...

You can shake your head all you want.  I always thought that the QB was the "field general".  Maybe college is different than pro in that regard.  But I was pretty surprised to read that.  Not a nitpicky thing to me.

He is the field general .... for the offense. Team leadership is what was mentioned in the article, which I'm guessing is how the question was phrased to CWT. No need to repeat what I said above but both CPR and 206 also chimed in as to why there's no need for Q to be a TEAM leader as this point in his career ...

I can't believe it, but for once I agree with Trip...

I call ******** ... There is no way you have been wrong that many times up to this point.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Team leader or offense leader, semantics.  I can't recall ever in my life a coach saying the QB was not being asked to be a leader.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  11
  • Days Won:  0

Question that probably doesn't belong here.....any word on the waver situation for AW?

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

Team leader or offense leader, semantics.  I can't recall ever in my life a coach saying the QB was not being asked to be a leader.

I think those words have actually come out of CWT mouth regarding what a QB should be. Not sure I have seen a successful QB who wasn't a leader on the O. 

Question that probably doesn't belong here.....any word on the waver situation for AW?

Nope .... and if he does get one, you can bet that it will have a thread all its' own.

I hope Captain Winky makes us happy!

Splitting hairs, but it's Wanky, and he's not the Capitan. Apparently he doesn't need to lead, just score TDs.

Are you referring to this article? http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/taggart-flowers-doesnt-have-to-lead/2243195

But one thing new Bulls starting QB Quinton Flowers won't be asked to do is lead. Coach Willie Taggart said that responsibility won't be heaped upon the sophomore's plate. At least not yet.

"We're not asking Quinton to be a leader," Taggart said after Friday morning's practice, the last before the Bulls convene at some point Sunday to begin normal game-week preparations.

"What we're asking Quinton to do is be the best football player he can be, be the best student he can be and have fun. We have a lot of other guys around here that can lead this football team. We're not asking him to do that."

So your QB doesn't need to be a leader? Wonder if he was told that when he was the QB at WKU?

As a true soph qb who just got the job after a close battle and wasn't handed the job for life, he needs to worry about leading the offense first and foremost. TEAM leadership will come down the line if/when he earns it. This is another one of those nitpicking things that make some people shake their head ...

You can shake your head all you want.  I always thought that the QB was the "field general".  Maybe college is different than pro in that regard.  But I was pretty surprised to read that.  Not a nitpicky thing to me.

Nitpicking was the wrong word. What this is is a perfect example from that article you linked a few pages back .... specifically:

The simple truth is our brains process information in ways that can lead us astray. We have cognitive biases that affect how we gather, evaluate and retain information. We suffer from pareidolia, "the human tendency to read significance into random or vague stimuli (both visual and auditory)." We see patterns where there aren't any.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

We suffer from pareidolia, "the human tendency to read significance into random or vague stimuli (both visual and auditory)." We see patterns where there aren't any.

That's a relief. For a few years now I've been thinking we have a very bad football team.

Edited by George Jenkins
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

We suffer from pareidolia, "the human tendency to read significance into random or vague stimuli (both visual and auditory)." We see patterns where there aren't any.

That's a relief. For a few years now I've been thinking we have a very bad football team.

pareidolia: is this why it burns when I pee?

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

:guinness:

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

pareidolia: is this why it burns when I pee?

I think that's a symptom of being a UCF fan. Have you traveled to Oviedo lately?