• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

MOSI possibly moving downtown? usf impact

Get that OCS going. Once it is built, tons of bars & restaurants will open up around OCS!!

Right cause there are so many around Raymond James... or Amalie Arena.

Solely in the interest of keyboarding...what do you do with an OCS during the off season? Do universities use them for something else? I can see where RayJ gets some mileage from other events, but not really sure what schools do now. Any ideas? 

AS for the 'tons of ' comment, I'm not entirely certain that just putting up a stadium warrants opening risky ventures like restaurants and bars. You might get a bump on game day - but other than that, I just don't see the barren plain of Fowler Avenue as a destination (it looks to me like it's already saturated with a sufficient supply of strip-mall-fast-food-template-bars as is).

Yes, an OCS would host other events throughout the off season, just like the Sundome does.

I think the new Houston stadium has **** tons of classrooms and lecture halls in it too.

i thought university's aren't allowed to mix academic and athletic funds for athletic buildings

1 - Houston is not in Florida.

2 - The Legislature doles out funds, and they can fund from multiple sources -- PECO or Building Fee funds for educational facilities (classes, offices, and support processes); CITF for non-academic; other fund sources as it desires.

Typically, when a Florda university makes this kind of request, it proposes a % split of square footage.  I would expect a stadium at USF would be "mixed use" with some classrooms and offices that could be funded from non-athletics sources.  Remember, the Sun Dome was built and the roof replaced with CITF funds -- and CITF are not athletic funds.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

Local article about a Commissioner meeting regarding Rays moving, and a USF  stadium.

http://shadowofthestadium.blogspot.com/2015/05/county-commissioner-wants-teams-to.html

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Get that OCS going. Once it is built, tons of bars & restaurants will open up around OCS!!

Right cause there are so many around Raymond James... or Amalie Arena.

Would likely be a part of the design ala strip malls surrounding UCF "arena"

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Local article about a Commissioner meeting regarding Rays moving, and a USF  stadium.

http://shadowofthestadium.blogspot.com/2015/05/county-commissioner-wants-teams-to.html

That quote from Hagan was posted I think...but that thought (must fill stadium out more), the one about the budget woes, and Harlan saying it's on his LONG-term radar tells me it's not the right time. Now, that doesn't mean USF shouldn't go ahead & grab the real estate at least.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

Pending weather, you could easily have outdoor graduations in the spring at an OCS, you could have concerts, career fairs, could rent it out for high school football playoffs (regionally). Of course, you don't want to take everything away from the SunDome, but it's part of the game with pretty much every school that already has full facilities.

FSU has buildings attached to Doak, that are used for academics only, so it's very possible. Or they could build up around the stadium and have some athletic dorms possibly.

That quote from Hagan was posted I think...but that thought (must fill stadium out more), the one about the budget woes, and Harlan saying it's on his LONG-term radar tells me it's not the right time. Now, that doesn't mean USF shouldn't go ahead & grab the real estate at least.

In modern times, there is never a perfect plan/timing when it comes to new athletics facilities, at least football stadiums. UCF built one (albeit somewhat had to) during a nadir of success, fanbases are strengthened and unified during those processes. it's never a clear outlook, and the MOSI site I agree is probably more prime of an opportunity than we've seen in 18 years.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  715
  • Days Won:  1

USF should grab the land if the chance comes. They should pitch a deal with the Shriners International who's headquarters are in Tampa. They have a Shriners Hospital on campus with close ties to USF. The Shriners East-West Game could be played there yearly. Just seems like a good sales pitch to me. Weather, airport, hotels, logistics and the Children's Hospital right across the street. USF-Shriners Stadium.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

FSU has buildings attached to Doak, that are used for academics only, so it's very possible. Or they could build up around the stadium and have some athletic dorms possibly.

This loophole has been closed in state statutes. We cannot pull a Doak Campbell, smack some classes on a stadium, and expect to get state funding for it. It was a nice ploy that worked for FSU though.

This loophole has been closed in state statutes. We cannot pull a Doak Campbell, smack some classes on a stadium, and expect to get state funding for it. It was a nice ploy that worked for FSU though.

Dang. Oh well, thanks for the info. Not like USF really needs the bldgs that badly.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Dang. Oh well, thanks for the info. Not like USF really needs the bldgs that badly.

Classrooms can be put into a stadium building, they just have to be in separate budgets