• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

MOSI possibly moving downtown? usf impact

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

FSU has buildings attached to Doak, that are used for academics only, so it's very possible. Or they could build up around the stadium and have some athletic dorms possibly.

This loophole has been closed in state statutes. We cannot pull a Doak Campbell, smack some classes on a stadium, and expect to get state funding for it. It was a nice ploy that worked for FSU though.

Dang. Oh well, thanks for the info. Not like USF really needs the bldgs that badly.

Classrooms can be put into a stadium building, they just have to be in separate budgets

Correct, professor, both have to paid for from separate budgets. It won't help one iota for USF to get more money from the state legislature for the construction of an OCS, if it decides to throw some classes in said proposed OCS. Loophole closed. Thanks, Seminoles! :dankk2:

The Legislature controls three specific funds for education buildings:

> PECO -- Public Education Capital Outlay

> This is funded from taxes on electricty.. .and it's shared at all levels of education from Kindergarten through the state college and state university system).

> Dedicated for educational facilities only

> In the early 2000s, when we needed a lot more K-12 schools, the Legislature decided to borrow against future funds

> I don't know if there is any PECO available for the SUS

> Building Fee funds

> The SUS has a per-credit "building fee" charged to students

> Dedicated for academic and support facilities

> Univrersities submit their requests to the Board of Governors, who then prioritizes them for the Legislature

> The Legislature has the freedom to do as it sees fit with the requests

> CITF - Capital Improvement Trust Funds

> Paid for out of per-credit fee by students

> Dedicated for non-academic facilities (student unions, rec centers, stadia, etc)

> Universities form committees to submit priorities to the Board of Governor who passes them to the Legislature

> CITF funds only get "released" every few years

That said, the Legislature has the power to provide "general revenue" funds... it does this from time to time... as it did with some of Doak Campbell and Ben Hill Griffin renovations.  I would not hold my breath on that one.

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,364
  • Days Won:  43

I'm am getting more hyped about the OCS. Expect to hear something from USF in about two months. Stay tuned!!

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

When is the current lease up?

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

When is the current lease up?

The last lease USF signed allows USF to break the lease with 2 years notice (basically the time to plan and build a stadium) without penalty.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,076
  • Days Won:  14

> This is funded from taxes on electricty.. .and it's shared at all levels of education from Kindergarten through the state college and state university system).

> In the early 2000s, when we needed a lot more K-12 schools, the Legislature decided to borrow against future funds

> Building Fee funds

> Univrersities submit their requests to the Board of Governors, who then prioritizes them for the Legislature

> Dedicated for non-academic facilities (student unions, rec centers, stadia, etc)

> Universities form committees to submit priorities to the Board of Governor who passes them to the Legislature

That said, the Legislature has the power to provide "general revenue" funds... it does this from time to time... as it did with some of Doak Campbell and Ben Hill Griffin renovations.  I would not hold my breath on that one.

The state legislature, who is made up of many UF and FSU law school grads decides how the money will be allocated.  At least that's the way I always interpreted it.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

> Building Fee funds

The state legislature, who is made up of many UF and FSU law school grads decides how the money will be allocated.  At least that's the way I always interpreted it.

I don't think they would be as vindictive about USF getting a stadium as some may think.  Most UF/FSU fans are fairly tolerant/pleasant to USF people and have generally wanted teams like USF and UCF to succeed.  That's been my experience at least.  Miami is another story all together.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I don't think they would be as vindictive about USF getting a stadium as some may think.  Most UF/FSU fans are fairly tolerant/pleasant to USF people and have generally wanted teams like USF and UCF to succeed.  That's been my experience at least.  Miami is another story all together.

That's definitely my experience too, esp the Miami one LOL.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

We need a law school

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

We need a law school

pass, send the locals to Stetson